Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
    Oh he couldn't stop a bum like LeBron...there's a good arguement to prove he can't defend perimeter lol
    this isn't even remotely what tDot said.

Comment

• A quick and athletic C is what the Raptors need. JV would fit well in a Memphis style offense, but not a heavy guard oriented offense like the Raptors.

Comment

• Not sounding good on the Patterson front. Losing streak is just around the corner y'all. Smh. After we were playing so damn well.
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• I'm not panicking about JV's role here. I'd like to see him get a few more minutes a game and get more touches in the minutes he has (and I disagree with some of the substitution choices Casey makes every night in regards to JV), but at the same time he's struggling with his touch enough that he's not making up for his defense right now (which isn't awful, but our perimeter defense is such that a case can be made that we do better at that end with an elite bail-out help defender).

In the end though, it's about the playoffs, and not just the conference finals but the early rounds as well, where JV had some huge games last year; and where he may have more (or less) of a role depending on who we play. We've got two thirds of a season to get his confidence in his touch back up (and his teammate's confidence in him up as well), get better communication and awareness on defense, and do a better job running plays for him and through him... not just dumping it into the low post and expecting him to go to work there.

Not saying that there's no way the Raptors trade JV. Certainly seems like more of a possibility now than in any other time with the team. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that this team can't get to the conference finals and even be competitive against Cleveland with JV, and I'm highly skeptical that a trade falls into place that actually makes them better.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
            biyombo doesn't actually defend the post that well due to a lack of size, and his perimeter defence is hugely overstated. I mean, no center is actually defending on the perimeter very well, that's just not what they're there for. his help defence is top notch though.

on offence, yeah he's athletic enough to catch lobs but he's got stone hands and is so poor offensively that the whole team offence falls apart when you start him.

so, no, he's not an elite center.
            I don't know where you're coming up with he doesn't defend the post well except for just creating that narrative yourself, he actually is a good defender there as well. He is built like a mack truck, has the size/strength and of course has incredible length....he has the standing reach as JV fyi so the statement about not being able to defend the post due to "lack of size" doesn't hold weight.

Yes of course no C is an elite perimeter defender but Biz has the footspeed and showed he could switch as well as just about any C hence Casey putting him in there and why his value exploded. The narrative of the team's whole offence falling apart is also greatly exaggerated as if that were the case we wouldn't have been eliminated out of the Playoffs when JV went down.
            Last edited by JamesNaismith; Fri Dec 30, 2016, 01:22 AM.

Comment

this isn't even remotely what tDot said.
              Really?! Hmmm...

tDotted wrote: View Post
              Biz switched on to LeBron successfully in one or two games and people think he can defend out there consistently? Lawd.

Comment

Really?! Hmmm...
                dude, are you fucking serious? read what you wrote.

Comment

• Not sure how on the night JV outperforms our other big men in less minutes (they had 4 points, 6 rebounds combined compared to JV's 8 & 10 performance) he's called out for being the weak link on the team. Lol I need some sleep

Comment

dude, are you fucking serious? read what you wrote.
                    I feel that way every time I read your responses.

Comment

I feel that way every time I read your responses.
                      i mean, if you took tDot's comment about Biyombo successfully switching onto Lebron as a complaint that he couldn't stop lebron, then i have serious concerns about your reading comprehension ability.

Comment

i mean, if you took tDot's comment about Biyombo successfully switching onto Lebron as a complaint that he couldn't stop lebron, then i have serious concerns about your reading comprehension ability.
                        Oh yes credit for one or two games (which wouldn't be stopping LeBron, you do know we played him for more than 2 games right?!), he was giving some "serious props" with that comment lol. I have to go beyond your reading comprehension when it comes to questioning intelligence.

Comment

Oh yes credit for one or two games (which wouldn't be stopping LeBron, you do know we played him for more than 2 games right?!), he was giving some "serious props" with that comment lol. I have to go beyond your reading comprehension when it comes to questioning intelligence.
                          i'm speechless

Comment

i'm speechless
                            Wonderful news!

/thread

#mambaout
                            Last edited by JamesNaismith; Fri Dec 30, 2016, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                              Not sure how on the night JV outperforms our other big men in less minutes (they had 4 points, 6 rebounds combined compared to JV's 8 & 10 performance) he's called out for being the weak link on the team. Lol I need some sleep
                              Team was even 8 points per 100 possessions better defensively with JV on the court than with Nogueira this game. And that's with JV barely getting any time at all beside Pat, his ideal lineup partner. The offence was dead with him on the court, but a lot of that was with the starting lineup (ie Pascal Siakam, offence killer), and with JV scoring pretty efficiently, they could have actually gone to him once in a while to fix that.

If the concept is they don't use him, so trade him, it's getting hard to argue against it. If the argument is that they should trade him, rather than just play him with the right players and use him properly, I'd still say there's not much evidence for that being the right move.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Can't just trade him because you need to get actual value.

He's a 6th man type centre in the modern game unless he gets to an elite level effort and iq wise defensively like the other similarly unalthletic centres like old Duncan and Marc gasol. The reality is that catering to him on either end is going to hurt us not help us.

Comment

Working...
                                X