Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLF wrote: View Post
    It isn't great at times but our defense is by FAR our biggest problem. That and rebounding. But I don't worry about the rebounding long term as much because I know Sully will help us with that when he comes back. The defense is just atrocious though. And I'm still so confused as to how that is when we literally have the same exact players as last season and the same coach. It's crazy to me. Our schedule is getting easier but at this point I don't care if we can be no playoff teams because that means nothing. It's about beating elite teams and the teams you will potentially meet in the playoffs. And so far we have struggled mightily with all of them.
    Do you get the feeling we are in store for another 7 game first round series? Or worse a repeat of sweep vs Wizards type scenario?

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
      so explain how this team was actually even higher in defense (9th) in 2013-2014 then? there was no biz. there was no backup C at all. unless you think grievez vasquez and john salmons anchored our D.
      You minimize the contributions of Salmons, Hansbrough and Hayes on defense. You add Amir Johnson, Patterson, Landry Fields and to a lesser extent Ross. Those are very good primary and secondary defenders. Yes, they don't have a legit rim protector like Biz but the summation of those parts cannot be denied.

Biz was the last recourse on defense, opposing teams would hesitate driving down that path to the rim when subconsciously they know that there is that shot blocker that would eliminate the chance of a straightforward lay up.

Comment

but remember, this team had a top 10 defense in 2013-2014. who was our backup C then? chuck hayes, aaron gray and tyler hansbrough. i don't know why everyones focusing on a backup C miraculously improving our defense.

biyombo is on the magic and has literally made zero impact in defense. they're currently 19th in the league. last year they were 17th.
        Exactly. And Greer went to the Timberwolves and their defence is shit so I'm very confused as to what our problem is. Well I know what our issues are but I don't understand why they weren't issues last season
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
          mainly bad 2nd rotations on help defence leading to either dump-offs or offensive rebounds. same problem as usual.
          That's what I figured. As soon as big comes and helps our guards no one helps the helper. Smh.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
            You minimize the contributions of Salmons, Hansbrough and Hayes on defense. You add Amir Johnson, Patterson, Landry Fields and to a lesser extent Ross. Those are very good primary and secondary defenders. Yes, they don't have a legit rim protector like Biz but the summation of those parts cannot be denied.

Biz was the last recourse on defense, opposing teams would hesitate driving down that path to the rim when subconsciously they know that there is that shot blocker that would eliminate the chance of a straightforward lay up.
            I have seen it all

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
              Do you get the feeling we are in store for another 7 game first round series? Or worse a repeat of sweep vs Wizards type scenario?
              If this defence keeps up, no question. I don't know about sweep because I do feel this team is still better than the team that played the Wizards, but if we get to the ECFs with this type of defence and rebounding I will be very very very shocked. We look a mess on that end of the floor

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                The Spurs have the best perimeter defender in the league. And also probably the GOAT coach.

leonard? best in the league? his defensive metrics have actually dropped the past couple of years. i would say draymond green is the better defender.

Lupe wrote: View Post
                The Grizzlies have the best defender at center in the league. And arguably the best defensive PG in Conley and the #2 perimeter defender after Kawhi in Tony Allen.

Stop comparing JV's situation to this. And when the Spurs play a team that goes small they take Pau out of the game. Pau is the comparable to JV in this scenario. Skilled, offensive big who isn't good defensively because of his lack of lateral quickness (and Pau is actually better defensively than JV btw).
                so you're saying OTHER PLAYERS might also need to step up to defend besides having to somehow rely on the teams center? no way.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                  Exactly. And Greer went to the Timberwolves and their defence is shit so I'm very confused as to what our problem is. Well I know what our issues are but I don't understand why they weren't issues last season
                  Raptors problems on defense are as clear as day.

Our ball-dominant guards, Lowry/DD, but also now CoJo and sometimes Ross aren't playing a lick of perimeter D. They got used to having Biz back there to clean things up last season, and this year they believe they can simply out-score teams with our "historically great offense". Well, it was historically great for about 2 weeks, anyway. smh.

It's basically a situation where some guys only score and some guys only play defense. Truly great defense can't work that way - it has to be a team effort. And this team supposedly has aspirations for championships? And Casey is supposed to be a defensive coach?

Raps just need to get back to some fundamentals of keeping your man in front of you, boxing out, fighting over screens and most importantly - effort. Consistently..... for 48 minutes.... every night.

Comment

so explain how this team was actually even higher in defense (9th) in 2013-2014 then? there was no biz. there was no backup C at all. unless you think grievez vasquez and john salmons anchored our D.
                    Amir Johnson and 2pat played the majority of froncourt minutes.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Damn, just realized Harden had a QUADRUPLE-double... Crazy. 10 turnovers is hard to do!

Defense was brutal tonight, but Houston did hit some ridiculous shots as well down the stretch. Not to mention the fact that our inability to score at the start of the 4th was painful.

Have also noticed the Game Thread-game has been weak these past few games, so I'll be taking on the responsibilities on the next one; I need to step up my game as well.
                      Last edited by Joey; Sun Jan 8, 2017, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Raptors problems on defense are as clear as day.

Our ball-dominant guards, Lowry/DD, but also now CoJo and sometimes Ross aren't playing a lick of perimeter D. They got used to having Biz back there to clean things up last season, and this year they believe they can simply out-score teams with our "historically great offense". Well, it was historically great for about 2 weeks, anyway. smh.

It's basically a situation where some guys only score and some guys only play defense. Truly great defense can't work that way - it has to be a team effort. And this team supposedly has aspirations for championships? And Casey is supposed to be a defensive coach?

Raps just need to get back to some fundamentals of keeping your man in front of you, boxing out, fighting over screens and most importantly - effort. Consistently..... for 48 minutes.... every night.
                        Lets forget the offense for now...that is why the Warriors are so elite because they have a core who Can defend their positions.

Draymond/ Klay/ Iggy and to some extent Curry. They can defend teams with two or three primary scorers. Couple that with their lights out offense and the acquisition of Durant who is not too shabby of a defender himself then that's a very difficult group to beat.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                          He would improve/Help our defense not do it all on his own.... I never understood why people made this argument. We can only compare our team with and without Biyombo. How is it relevant to compare him on a totally different team with different players and different schemes?? It's just so lazy to say hey we're better than Orlando....
                          dear lord.

you realize you're falling into high school level arguing with logical fallacies right? with X player gone, this team went from top 10 to bottom 20. therefore, X player is the reason for the drop in defense.

so then why doesn't that apply when you add X player to another team? oh right because there are MYRIADS of other factors. not just "raptors with biyombo" and "raptors without biyombo"

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

JV was ahead of Patterson in minutes and was behind Amir by 0.6 .

Comment

• I bet the other team's fans have really enjoyed these last couple of games.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

JV: 2282 mins. Amir: 2214 mins. Pat: 1118 mins.

Not even close.

Comment

Working...
                                X