Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    massively doubt these guys will ever be on the market.

but the overall theme is that we've never really had a 2-way star on the perimeter and we really need one.
    Again, how is it working out for Chicago and Indiana for the last two years? As you can see.... you need so much more!

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
      As you can see.... you need so much more!
      Mhm

Comment

Again, how is it working out for Chicago and Indiana for the last two years? As you can see.... you need so much more!
        Those teams lack talent depth and chemistry, but Masai has shown great ability to quickly collect deep talent around stars, but he just can't get that elite 2-way superstar to build around. You're right, though.... those guys will never sniff the open market.

Comment

• FWIW DeMar is probably the least significant problem defensively among Lowry-DD-Carroll.

Now this sounds counter-intuitive because he's the worst defender of the 3, but the reality is that he's usually not guarding high impact players or even guys who initiate the pick and roll. He's typically just guarding spot up shooters.

You can generally get away with one player in your PG-SG-SF who isn't a good defender at all and still be an elite team. Hell Cleveland has two. Golden State has Steph who despite how people try to play him off as a good one is a subpar defender. Houston has one in Harden, the Spurs have Tony Parker. These guys are typically not really going to guard great players so it's not really a big problem.

The difference is those other teams have great defenders to guard the truly elite #1 options on other top teams: Ariza/Beverly, LeBron, KD/Klay/Draymond, Green/Kawhi.

The real issue is Carroll. Lowry is a bit of a problem as well but I think he's conserving energy in the regular season and will defend well in the playoffs. Carroll is the guy we're going to be throwing at Butler, George, LeBron, Melo, etc. I have zero confidence in his ability to even remotely limit them from doing what they want to do.

Comment

of course, but if there's one thing I don't worry about with Masai it's getting a good supporting cast of good-chemistry guys.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              Didn't you know? Only bigs are supposed to play D. Guards are exempt from defense.
              I'm starting to think that you just don't understand the game and the current rules.....

Trevor Ariza is a good defender and Demar just lit him up for 36 tonight

Jimmy Butler is a good defender and Demar lit him up for 36 last night

With the current rules it's almost impossible to stop these guards/wings on the perimeter. You have to give up something...Would be nice to have a big back there who can help clean up some of those drives. It won't solve everything but it would help. Maybe a block or a forced shot.... anything is better than a layup line or an and-1.
              Last edited by special1; Mon Jan 9, 2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I'm starting to think that you just don't understand the game and the current rules.....

Trevor Ariza is a good defender and Demar just lit him up for 36 tonight

Jimmy Butler is a good defender and Demar lit him up for 36 last night

With the current rules it's almost impossible to stop these guards/wings on the perimeter. You have to give up something...Would be nice to have a big back there who can help clean up some of those drives. it won't solve everything but it would help. Maybe a block or a forced shot.... anything is better than a layup line.
                Not sure if you watched the game, but Butler was defending Lowry and shut him down in the 4th quarter, which was the turning point of the game. At the same time Butler was scoring on everybody, including DeMar, who couldn't stop him.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                  Yup! We have a lot of problems. The coach, the defense, the rebounding and the IQ. Just great.
                  This made me laugh.

We got 99 problems but the O ain't one.

Comment

• By the wayBoston has several elite perimeter defenders (Smart, Crowder, Bradley) and supposedly a better coach than us and they're 20th in defense.

Anyone care to explain that?

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                      By the wayBoston has several elite perimeter defenders (Smart, Crowder, Bradley) and supposedly a better coach than us and they're 20th in defense.

I've read some Celtics fans opinions and quite a few of them feel like Smart is really the only great defender of the bunch. Crowder is average and Bradley hasn't been as effective this year because of an increased offensive load.

Comment

• 1 game up on the Celtics now huh? Still a lot of games left.. and watching regular season basketball can be topsy turvy. Last two games could have been wins.. Raps were up going into the 4th both times, and just screwed it up.

Carroll was great offensively.. but we need his defense and that was not on point. I wish we had a guy like Tony Allen. CoJo was supposed to be that guy but he's just not playing the way he did last year.. something's not right with him. Masai doesn't have to make a trade.. but I wish he does. We could use some fresh blood, and Sully ain't it.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                          Yup! We have a lot of problems. The coach, the defense, the rebounding and the IQ. Just great.
                          It's a wonder they can even get out of bed without injuring themselves!

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                            I'm just curious to see how this loss will be blamed on JV.
                            He was invisible in the second half

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                              He was invisible in the second half
                              Maybe because he barely played.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                                By the wayBoston has several elite perimeter defenders (Smart, Crowder, Bradley) and supposedly a better coach than us and they're 20th in defense.

Isaiah Thomas is last in DRPM among point guards.

They also are extremely poor on the defensive glass, with a DRB% that is 2nd worst in the league to the Toronto Raptors.

Comment

Working...
                                X