No announcement yet.

Everything Round 1: Toronto Raptors vs Milwaukee Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man oh man, what a roller coaster. Never experienced a swing in a game like that before. They went from playing like world champions to playing like a rec league team of guys who can't dribble with their left hands.

I'm not as angry at the collapse as some - I chalk it up to some combination of luck, an inevitable in-game momentum turn, home court advantage, a future all-time top-10 NBA great, the inevitable tightness that comes with the nightmarish realization that you might be yakking up a series that you'd won 20 minutes ago, poor coaching strategy, and a lack of mental toughness/
    togetherness that's been a defining feature of this team for the past few years. And the latter two points, I'm so used to them that they don't make me angry anymore, just disappointed.

What I liked best about this game was that Demar won it at the end. He's never responded so strongly in such an adverse situation, with the stakes so high. Between this game and his bounce-back performance after game 4, he's shown a level of skill, resolve and execution that I didn't think he'd ever reach, and that few professional athletes ever do.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      Man oh man, what a roller coaster. Never experienced a swing in a game like that before. They went from playing like world champions to playing like a rec league team of guys who can't dribble with their left hands.

I'm not as angry at the collapse as some - I chalk it up to some combination of luck, an inevitable in-game momentum turn, home court advantage, a future all-time top-10 NBA great, the inevitable tightness that comes with the nightmarish realization that you might be yakking up a series that you'd won 20 minutes ago, poor coaching strategy, and a lack of mental toughness/
      togetherness that's been a defining feature of this team for the past few years. And the latter two points, I'm so used to them that they don't make me angry anymore, just disappointed.

What I liked best about this game was that Demar won it at the end. He's never responded so strongly in such an adverse situation, with the stakes so high. Between this game and his bounce-back performance after game 4, he's shown a level of skill, resolve and execution that I didn't think he'd ever reach, and that few professional athletes ever do.
      He is now a guy who can drive the ball and dunk on Thon Maker and Giannis in crunch time to put the game away. That is amazing.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• DeRozan in a rout - 31 votes and all for him.

"Other" should have at least one vote - Jclaw!

Comment

• Jclaw is the damn truth!

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            He is now a guy who can drive the ball and dunk on Thon Maker and Giannis in crunch time to put the game away. That is amazing.
            DeMar has earned my respect this game, he took it into his own hands like a leader is supposed to and won it. WITH THAT SAID.... I am highly disappointed in Lowry, you can say all you want how he did the little things...but he's supposed to be THE guy beside DeMar leading this team to victory. You're in a close out game, you are the leader...and you take 9 shots in 44 minutes??? 4 assists??? His body language in the playoffs is of someone who is outright SCARED.

If we do not beat the Cavs this round, I do not want Lowry back on this team; This is DeRozan's team, build around him with players who do not wilt under the lights.

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
              DeMar has earned my respect this game, he took it into his own hands like a leader is supposed to and won it. WITH THAT SAID.... I am highly disappointed in Lowry, you can say all you want how he did the little things...but he's supposed to be THE guy beside DeMar leading this team to victory. You're in a close out game, you are the leader...and you take 9 shots in 44 minutes??? 4 assists??? His body language in the playoffs is of someone who is outright SCARED.

If we do not beat the Cavs this round, I do not want Lowry back on this team; This is DeRozan's team, build around him with players who do not wilt under the lights.
              I have a few thoughts on Lowry, who is a great player.

1. He's banged up again in the postseason, and his 3 pt shot was way off in Game 6. Unfortunately this has become a consistent trend for a guy who throws his body around all year. Lowry is going to be banged up in the playoffs.
              2. In the playoffs against a strong defender like Brogdon and with shot blockers in the lane, the only shot he can get consistently is those hair trigger 3's. This is the problem with being the smallest guy on your team. Lowry's insane drive and competitiveness compensates for that in the regular season with hustle plays, charges drawn, crashing into the floor all the time - but in the playoffs other guys match that intensity + output and that edge evaporates, they also defend you much tighter and now there's no room to get a jump shot off and there are 2-3 defenders waiting when you drive to the rim. Now you're just a smaller guy who has no way to create shots. This is why the NBA (and any sport) loves guys with physical tools that give them an automatic edge (like Giannis). DeMar uses his size and strength to continue to score against locked in defences, Lowry just can't do that, he can't physically impose himself.
              3. Lowry can will himself to insane and amazing games in the playoffs, but they're irregular. He can't elevate his game night in and night out for a full series or the entire postseason, like great best-players-on-the-team do. See point #2 above for reasons why. It's just not a level of output he can sustain game after game.
              4. He does, at times, seem to get rattled by the moment, which really surprises me. He is such a strong competitor with such a drive to win, I wouldn't think this would affect him, but it does. He is the point guard running the offence - we can blame Casey when collapses like Game 6 happen, but where is Lowry in those moments? In those moments your best player and your PG should be able to take control. Often it seems to be the opposite, Lowry contributes to the jitters in the playoffs.

It pains me to type this, I love Lowry. He's going to have at least a couple of huge games against Cleveland, and they won't be able to defend him like the Bucks did. Hope he's healthy.

Comment

• Several guys contributed in key ways, but man DeRozan continues to take next steps in his development. Remember when it only took one Otto Porter to throw him off for a series? The Milwaukee Bucks are an entire team of Otto Porters and they now call DeMar daddy.

Loved his response after the game 3 stinker: "That will not happen again." Not sure I've seen him so determined when he said that. Imposed himself on Game 4. After that he didn't force being the highest scorer, he is consistently staying level headed and making the right play when fast doubles are thrown at him. Can't believe how often the cross court passes to open 3 pt shooters are coming, didn't know he had that in him. Then in crunch time he scores when needed no matter the defence.

This guy just keeps hitting new levels.

We need predictions for Round 2 MVP!

Comment

• Lol 1 vote for Norm
                  OG is our king

Comment

• Derozan was most consistent scorer, but Norm made the difference in the series by creating more space for DD. He was the x-factor.

Comment

• Rand wrote: View Post
                      Derozan was most consistent scorer, but Norm made the difference in the series by creating more space for DD. He was the x-factor.
                      Absolutely, but x-factor and MVP are two very different things.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                        I have a few thoughts on Lowry, who is a great player.

1. He's banged up again in the postseason, and his 3 pt shot was way off in Game 6. Unfortunately this has become a consistent trend for a guy who throws his body around all year. Lowry is going to be banged up in the playoffs.
                        2. In the playoffs against a strong defender like Brogdon and with shot blockers in the lane, the only shot he can get consistently is those hair trigger 3's. This is the problem with being the smallest guy on your team. Lowry's insane drive and competitiveness compensates for that in the regular season with hustle plays, charges drawn, crashing into the floor all the time - but in the playoffs other guys match that intensity + output and that edge evaporates, they also defend you much tighter and now there's no room to get a jump shot off and there are 2-3 defenders waiting when you drive to the rim. Now you're just a smaller guy who has no way to create shots. This is why the NBA (and any sport) loves guys with physical tools that give them an automatic edge (like Giannis). DeMar uses his size and strength to continue to score against locked in defences, Lowry just can't do that, he can't physically impose himself.
                        3. Lowry can will himself to insane and amazing games in the playoffs, but they're irregular. He can't elevate his game night in and night out for a full series or the entire postseason, like great best-players-on-the-team do. See point #2 above for reasons why. It's just not a level of output he can sustain game after game.
                        4. He does, at times, seem to get rattled by the moment, which really surprises me. He is such a strong competitor with such a drive to win, I wouldn't think this would affect him, but it does. He is the point guard running the offence - we can blame Casey when collapses like Game 6 happen, but where is Lowry in those moments? In those moments your best player and your PG should be able to take control. Often it seems to be the opposite, Lowry contributes to the jitters in the playoffs.

It pains me to type this, I love Lowry. He's going to have at least a couple of huge games against Cleveland, and they won't be able to defend him like the Bucks did. Hope he's healthy.
                        I mean, it was reminiscent of the Pacers series last year where Hill (long, quick defender) was draped all over him and he couldn't find and pick his spots. The difference between Demar and Kyle is that Demar can get his shot off from almost anywhere (minus 3-point land); Kyle has to pick and choose his spots but that also means he can be limited. Against the Cavs, I imagine he'll have much more freedom offensively.
                        Last edited by Ball; Fri Apr 28, 2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          Man oh man, what a roller coaster. Never experienced a swing in a game like that before. They went from playing like world champions to playing like a rec league team of guys who can't dribble with their left hands.

Years past, we probably would've seen the Raptors just lose Game 6. I'd argue it takes mental toughness to get it together again and decisively re-take the lead to win the game after blowing a 25-point lead.

Comment

• Comment

• Ball wrote: View Post
                              Years past, we probably would've seen the Raptors just lose Game 6. I'd argue it takes mental toughness to get it together again and decisively re-take the lead to win the game after blowing a 25-point lead.
                              Takes some to get it back, lacks some to give it up.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Ball wrote: View Post
                                I agree with this. The Raptors of the past wouldn't of been mentally tough enough to recover after Terry hit that 3 to give them the lead.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X