Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff Basketball vs. Regular Season Basketball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Playoff Basketball vs. Regular Season Basketball

    VERY long, but very interesting article on the differences between regular season & playoffs. Lots of Raptor references in there. Worth the read....

    https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playo...s-ec1074245a89


  • #2
    Interesting read, for sure. A lot of negative Derozan references. I've been thrilled with his continued ascent and development this season and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can continue to live outside the box in the postseason now as well. Can he make the necessary adjustments for how the game will change? I got faith.

    The supposition that the Raptors' game will always fail in the playoffs is based on the assumption that nothing changes and grows. Let's see what all this past playoff experience and in-season growth has amounted to. Figure it out, boys!!

    Comment


    • #3
      GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
      Interesting read, for sure. A lot of negative Derozan references. I've been thrilled with his continued ascent and development this season and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can continue to live outside the box in the postseason now as well. Can he make the necessary adjustments for how the game will change? I got faith.

      The supposition that the Raptors' game will always fail in the playoffs is based on the assumption that nothing changes and grows. Let's see what all this past playoff experience and in-season growth has amounted to. Figure it out, boys!!
      Would agree that DeMar has improved his ability to score against any defense, but now starting to worry a bit about Lowry. There was another interesting study referenced in that article that needs highlighting. It seems to suggest that the system the Raps use to win in the regular season is not all conducive to playoff basketball. The Raps system is built largely around around: (1) free throws, (2) lack of ball movement & (3) offensive rebounding, which the study suggests would be easier to neutralize in the playoffs.

      "He found that teams with higher defensive efficiency ratings tended to exceed expectations, and teams with higher offensive efficiency ratings performed worse than expected. (But teams with high effective field goal percentages also exceeded expectation, suggesting that teams that rely on free throws aren’t as dangerous in the postseason. Rockets fans, you can enjoy the uncertainty of rooting for a team that excels at both.) The study also found that teams with high offensive rebounding rates tended to perform worse come playoff time, and teams that shared the ball more tended to perform better."

      Comment


      • #4
        Everyone should read this. Even if you disagree with the Demar points, the overall insights seem bang on. Playoff ball is different
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

        If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

        Comment


        • #5
          The spot light and pressure is on both of our stars, heavy. Getting out of the first and second rounds mostly on the backs of jv, biyombo, joseph and powell did nothing to change that. The pressure has been building every year since the brooklyn loss. It seems to compound as a vicious circle, pressure of being chokers causes them to be chokers.

          There's only one way out of it. Put this team on your back like you have all season, and go win. They both talk the talk "it's our team". They both never miss a chance to show up at all star dressed like the reservoir dogs. They want the max contracts, the recognition, the keys to the city. It's time to put up or shut up. They can either be remembered in 20, 30, 50 years..or go down like a footnote as a decent era of raps ball with decent players before being buried by a new crop of guys next generation.

          Time to put up, or shut the fuck up. Next year is year 5 of this core. They'll be all out of shit to say if they choke this year. This is truly a massive massive playoff.
          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

          Comment


          • #6
            KeonClark wrote: View Post
            The spot light and pressure is on both of our stars, heavy. Getting out of the first and second rounds mostly on the backs of jv, biyombo, joseph and powell did nothing to change that. The pressure has been building every year since the brooklyn loss. It seems to compound as a vicious circle, pressure of being chokers causes them to be chokers.

            There's only one way out of it. Put this team on your back like you have all season, and go win. They both talk the talk "it's our team". They both never miss a chance to show up at all star dressed like the reservoir dogs. They want the max contracts, the recognition, the keys to the city. It's time to put up or shut up. They can either be remembered in 20, 30, 50 years..or go down like a footnote as a decent era of raps ball with decent players before being buried by a new crop of guys next generation.

            Time to put up, or shut the fuck up. Next year is year 5 of this core. They'll be all out of shit to say if they choke this year. This is truly a massive massive playoff.
            I just want to be able to cheer for good basketball during the playoffs instead of spending 6-8 weeks taking Aspirin.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

            Comment


            • #7
              S.R. wrote: View Post
              I just want to be able to cheer for good basketball during the playoffs instead of spending 6-8 weeks taking Aspirin.
              I mean, I expect stressful struggle in the playoffs. I do not expect to get slaughtered on home court in game 1 by a bunch of upstarts and rookies.

              Why are we the only team that plays scared? Is it being shown on American tv for the first time all Year?
              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Axel wrote: View Post
                Everyone should read this. Even if you disagree with the Demar points, the overall insights seem bang on. Playoff ball is different
                I agree with the general sentiment, and this could be attributed to randomness, but it seems like every other teams star players (guards in particular) have stepped their games up, even if their teams are losing. The thing to me that is so odd about this Raptors team in the playoffs is that Lowry and Derozan consistently play worse in the playoffs than they should, regardless of offense or teammates' talent. Not going to look into the stats, have tests to study for, but it seems like there must be something more than playoff ball being different. That definitely contributes, but you would still expect those two players to shine at some point in the last couple years.

                Comment


                • #9
                  KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  I mean, I expect stressful struggle in the playoffs. I do not expect to get slaughtered on home court in game 1 by a bunch of upstarts and rookies.

                  Why are we the only team that plays scared? Is it being shown on American tv for the first time all Year?
                  I believe game 2 was relegated to NBATV so no worries there now!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                    I agree with the general sentiment, and this could be attributed to randomness, but it seems like every other teams star players (guards in particular) have stepped their games up, even if their teams are losing. The thing to me that is so odd about this Raptors team in the playoffs is that Lowry and Derozan consistently play worse in the playoffs than they should, regardless of offense or teammates' talent. Not going to look into the stats, have tests to study for, but it seems like there must be something more than playoff ball being different. That definitely contributes, but you would still expect those two players to shine at some point in the last couple years.
                    Lillard was absolutely fearless vs. the Warriors in Game #1, had a great game. Attacked the teeth of the defence throughout.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow... what a great read for someone (me) who keeps trying to learn and understand basketball better.

                      Thanks for posting.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Semi related but spot on...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                          I agree with the general sentiment, and this could be attributed to randomness, but it seems like every other teams star players (guards in particular) have stepped their games up, even if their teams are losing. The thing to me that is so odd about this Raptors team in the playoffs is that Lowry and Derozan consistently play worse in the playoffs than they should, regardless of offense or teammates' talent. Not going to look into the stats, have tests to study for, but it seems like there must be something more than playoff ball being different. That definitely contributes, but you would still expect those two players to shine at some point in the last couple years.
                          Not so sure about random because the scary thing in the article for me, which I'll post again, is that the 3 pillars of the Raptors offensive system are specifically the 3 advantages that the study said do not translate to playoff basketball: (1) free throws, (2) lack of ball movement & (3) offensive rebounding.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            golden wrote: View Post
                            Not so sure about random because the scary thing in the article for me, which I'll post again, is that the 3 pillars of the Raptors offensive system are specifically the 3 advantages that the study said do not translate to playoff basketball: (1) free throws, (2) lack of ball movement & (3) offensive rebounding.
                            My post was semi-unclear, I'm talking more about JUST Lowry and Derozans' play.

                            Let me preface this by saying these methods are admittedly not great.
                            Team ------ OREB% Rank ------ Passes/Game -------- FT Rate
                            OKC -------- 1 ----------------- 30 ------------------------ 4
                            Houston ----- 10 ---------------- 27 -------------------------- 2
                            Toronto ------ 8 --------------- 26------------------------- 6

                            I don't doubt that these teams could struggle, I do however doubt that Westbrook and Harden struggle individually. They both have very exceptional playoff numbers individually, while KL and DD have struggled mightily in the playoffs, posting numbers worse than their career averages. Some of this can likely be attributed to randomness, and the fact that Westbrook and Harden are better than DD and KL. Still, the individual playoff success (both this year and in past years*) of Westbrook and Harden suggest that stars can play well on teams with a non-playoff play style. To me, this confirms that the thought that KL and DD have a playoff issue.

                            Is the issue a mental block in the playoffs? Is the duo just worse than previously thought, and it comes to light when teams play harder and are more locked in? Is it injury? At this point I'm inclined to believe its mostly injury and some mental block, but if they continue to struggle this postseason, who knows?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              At least we're better than the Celtics in the playoffs!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X