Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR
    replied
    We're not winning shit without Lowry too. You underrate him if you think we make playoffs without Lowry. Derozan going for 30-40 in regular season is not sustainable way to win.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    If Lowry gets offered max contract I think he will come back. The question is should we move on from him. If we let him walk and traded JV it could be a really different team. We've already invested in DD---for better or worse I think he stays.
    Nah he won't come back after this embarrassment. Ibaka won't come back if Lowry leaves and same thing with PJ Tucker. Those two have no loyalty to franchise. They only been here for half a season. Plus Ibaka is always complaining about the weather. Going forward with Derozan is futile. He can't carry us to playoffs. Gut feeling is that this is the last time we see this team together.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    We won't have to worry about playoffs next year. It's rebuild time. Lowry won't come back.
    If Lowry gets offered max contract I think he will come back. The question is should we move on from him. If we let him walk and traded JV it could be a really different team. We've already invested in DD---for better or worse I think he stays.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    A good, but unfortunate time to re-visit this thread. Thoughts?
    We won't have to worry about playoffs next year. It's rebuild time. Lowry won't come back.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    A good, but unfortunate time to re-visit this thread. Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Blacklash2k4
    replied
    At least we're better than the Celtics in the playoffs!

Leave a comment:

• DogeLover1234
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    Not so sure about random because the scary thing in the article for me, which I'll post again, is that the 3 pillars of the Raptors offensive system are specifically the 3 advantages that the study said do not translate to playoff basketball: (1) free throws, (2) lack of ball movement & (3) offensive rebounding.
    My post was semi-unclear, I'm talking more about JUST Lowry and Derozans' play.

Let me preface this by saying these methods are admittedly not great.
    Team ------ OREB% Rank ------ Passes/Game -------- FT Rate
    OKC -------- 1 ----------------- 30 ------------------------ 4
    Houston ----- 10 ---------------- 27 -------------------------- 2
    Toronto ------ 8 --------------- 26------------------------- 6

I don't doubt that these teams could struggle, I do however doubt that Westbrook and Harden struggle individually. They both have very exceptional playoff numbers individually, while KL and DD have struggled mightily in the playoffs, posting numbers worse than their career averages. Some of this can likely be attributed to randomness, and the fact that Westbrook and Harden are better than DD and KL. Still, the individual playoff success (both this year and in past years*) of Westbrook and Harden suggest that stars can play well on teams with a non-playoff play style. To me, this confirms that the thought that KL and DD have a playoff issue.

Is the issue a mental block in the playoffs? Is the duo just worse than previously thought, and it comes to light when teams play harder and are more locked in? Is it injury? At this point I'm inclined to believe its mostly injury and some mental block, but if they continue to struggle this postseason, who knows?

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
    I agree with the general sentiment, and this could be attributed to randomness, but it seems like every other teams star players (guards in particular) have stepped their games up, even if their teams are losing. The thing to me that is so odd about this Raptors team in the playoffs is that Lowry and Derozan consistently play worse in the playoffs than they should, regardless of offense or teammates' talent. Not going to look into the stats, have tests to study for, but it seems like there must be something more than playoff ball being different. That definitely contributes, but you would still expect those two players to shine at some point in the last couple years.
    Not so sure about random because the scary thing in the article for me, which I'll post again, is that the 3 pillars of the Raptors offensive system are specifically the 3 advantages that the study said do not translate to playoff basketball: (1) free throws, (2) lack of ball movement & (3) offensive rebounding.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Semi related but spot on...

Leave a comment:

• suspenders
    replied
    Wow... what a great read for someone (me) who keeps trying to learn and understand basketball better.

Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
    I agree with the general sentiment, and this could be attributed to randomness, but it seems like every other teams star players (guards in particular) have stepped their games up, even if their teams are losing. The thing to me that is so odd about this Raptors team in the playoffs is that Lowry and Derozan consistently play worse in the playoffs than they should, regardless of offense or teammates' talent. Not going to look into the stats, have tests to study for, but it seems like there must be something more than playoff ball being different. That definitely contributes, but you would still expect those two players to shine at some point in the last couple years.
    Lillard was absolutely fearless vs. the Warriors in Game #1, had a great game. Attacked the teeth of the defence throughout.

Leave a comment:

• DogeLover1234
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I mean, I expect stressful struggle in the playoffs. I do not expect to get slaughtered on home court in game 1 by a bunch of upstarts and rookies.

Why are we the only team that plays scared? Is it being shown on American tv for the first time all Year?
    I believe game 2 was relegated to NBATV so no worries there now!

Leave a comment:

• DogeLover1234
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Everyone should read this. Even if you disagree with the Demar points, the overall insights seem bang on. Playoff ball is different

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    I just want to be able to cheer for good basketball during the playoffs instead of spending 6-8 weeks taking Aspirin.
    I mean, I expect stressful struggle in the playoffs. I do not expect to get slaughtered on home court in game 1 by a bunch of upstarts and rookies.

Why are we the only team that plays scared? Is it being shown on American tv for the first time all Year?

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    The spot light and pressure is on both of our stars, heavy. Getting out of the first and second rounds mostly on the backs of jv, biyombo, joseph and powell did nothing to change that. The pressure has been building every year since the brooklyn loss. It seems to compound as a vicious circle, pressure of being chokers causes them to be chokers.

There's only one way out of it. Put this team on your back like you have all season, and go win. They both talk the talk "it's our team". They both never miss a chance to show up at all star dressed like the reservoir dogs. They want the max contracts, the recognition, the keys to the city. It's time to put up or shut up. They can either be remembered in 20, 30, 50 years..or go down like a footnote as a decent era of raps ball with decent players before being buried by a new crop of guys next generation.

Time to put up, or shut the fuck up. Next year is year 5 of this core. They'll be all out of shit to say if they choke this year. This is truly a massive massive playoff.
    I just want to be able to cheer for good basketball during the playoffs instead of spending 6-8 weeks taking Aspirin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X