Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Perspective in This Painful Time

First off - yes this sucks. LOL
    But given all the negativity, regardless of where you stand as a fan, a less jaded way to look at things might help.

1. Remember when it was Jordan's NBA? If you're too young to remember - it looks like the James years - BUT worse, because of no cap, and Jordan's teams being so so much better then the rest of the league.
    2. This isn't embarrassing. Embarrassing is 18 years (era before this run) of:
    • 13 seasons of sub-500 records
    • Being legitimately a punching bag in the NBA
    • Bad coaching
    • Bad GM
    • Bad front office
    • Praying a player doesn't bolt in free agency
    • Watching us overpay for NBA has-beens to surround a player that has stayed
    • Having 2 future HOF'ers - on the same team. At the same time. About to go into their primes. And losing that!! Because of all of the above. Swallow hard on that - that potential team had dynasty written all over it. With both players admitting they f'ed that up in leaving. They were young, and made terrible personal/professional decisions. But that's exactly what young kids do. It was on the organization to put pieces in place to mitigate that. They BOTH grew up properly elsewhere. With Vince particularly growing into a man. Yep - swallow hard.
    • Draft Bust after Draft Bust
    • Having the draft lottery be the high water mark of your season
    • And on And on And on

3. This is what happens when you expect/hope something. Expecting something really really badly and it gets dashed. Point 1 makes it harder to take.

BUT - this isn't embarrassing. I'll take years of this. Years of turning this franchise into one with respectability.

Every fan base felt like this against Jordan. In recent years everyone not named Spurs and Warriors have felt like this against James. And remember; the 70 win Warriors suffered at the hands of this guy. With the greatest choke job in the history of the NBA! That's embarrassing!! We've JUST ascended to this point as a franchise and people want to go back to what we were for 18 years of our existence. F that. Blow it up??? GTFO with that!

Even getting crushed by James in round 2 is better then everything we've had to endure. And frankly there's always a chance. See the Rockets B2B when Jordan wasn't around (and why he wasn't around). You just never know what happens.

Finally: we don't have a history. A legacy. Of ANY kind. We were #ClippersNorth. Maybe let's establish something before we go acting like anyone is coming here with us as a losing team and cap space. How's that working out for the Lakers? Knicks? Legacy franchises throwing around money and not getting the guys they want. And you think people will WANT to come here because we have cap space (if we're rebuilding)???

Get a fresh (good!!!) coach. See what happens. Keep the ship moving forward. IF the team still seems like they're going up hill, and you want to throw in the towel, you can always trade assets off a 50-win regular season team for serious prospects. Most franchises would kill for continued 50 win seasons. Every one one of your assets look better off a winning team. See: Powell, Norman, Ibaka, Serge as what you can get for a player coming from a winning program.

2-3 teams a year (max) are legitimately stripping it down and aiming for high picks, 3-4 teams (max) have legit title hopes, everyone else is somewhere along the franchise building pathway between those two extremes.

I don't think as soon as you hit a wall you blow a roster up, and neither does 95% of the league.

Biggest hope is you keep doing your best re: team building and you strike it rich like Houston, who never tore it all down and eventually got themselves Harden and D'Antoni and had all the right pieces in place around them (or still had the ability to get them). Worst case is year by year you bleed talent and regress overall until after several wasted seasons you're finally forced to face the music, I think a few teams e.g. the Pacers and Hawks are headed in this direction.

Utah is another team to recently turn a corner without tearing it down. How do they get to championship level? I don't know.

I think tanking is the thing Masai is least likely to do.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Good perspective. Despite these last few blowouts, things are definitely better than a mere 5 years ago.

But we're spoiled now. Everything pre-2013 has been erased from my memory

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Good perspective. Despite these last few blowouts, things are definitely better than a mere 5 years ago.

But we're spoiled now. Everything pre-2013 has been erased from my memory
        You're saying we're basketball millenials, entitled af
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Actually it is embarrassing... and Casey used those exact words last night. 18 years of futility was more like pathetic and depressing, but not really that embarrassing because nobody outside of a small group of hardcore fans really cared. Nobody was watching us back then.

The entire basketball world is watching now, and we're up on that stage and we forgot our lines. That is embarrassing. Lebron flat out dis-respecting us is embarrassing. Our leading scorer getting only 5 points is embarrassing. Pacers got swept by the Cavs, but they made LBJ sweat and definitely didn't embarrass themselves, like the Raps are doing. Especially after we loaded up at the trade deadline to close the gap, which looks like it has actually widened.

Comment

The main issue with the people that want to blow it up, is not so much the outcome, rather it's how they go about it. When we have won in the playoffs it hasn't been convincing, and when we have lost it's been utterly embarrassing regardless whether it's Lebron or not(10 game, game 1 losing streak anybody?). You can keep saying all you want about Michaels and Lebron's greatness, but if you mentally lost before the series has started you have no place being in the position you are in. You can see this through the sheer taunting Lebron has done this series. We have bowed down like a red carpet, rather than trying to punch him in the face... all men bleed.

The team is basketball millenialls... thinking they are entitled to something while bowing out at the first sight of adversity.

Comment

The reason why I would want to blow it up is due to my trust in Masai. He has made very good moves for this team, so I believe he could build something good if he were to blow it up. I would probably hate the losing, but at the end of the day, I know we would be striving to not be mediocre.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                The reason why I would want to blow it up is due to my trust in Masai. He has made very good moves for this team, so I believe he could build something good if he were to blow it up. I would probably hate the losing, but at the end of the day, I know we would be striving to not be mediocre.
                This too, I still trust Masai. He's been spot on with drafts and trades, with his only real screw up is Demarre. Remember that the core of this team is pretty much BC's still.

Comment

Deems wrote: View Post
                  This too, I still trust Masai. He's been spot on with drafts and trades, with his only real screw up is Demarre. Remember that the core of this team is pretty much BC's still.
                  Technically, this is true. But we have to remind ourselves that the core Colangelo envisioned included Gay and Bargnani (and to a lesser extent, Amir).

By shedding the fat, this core is now truly Masai's core....despite the fact that Colangelo brought them in.

Comment

I think the two guys that have not lived up to expectations (Demarre and Cojo) are system guys. I think they would strive better in a ball movement type of offense.

Comment

I think the two guys that have not lived up to expectations (Demarre and Cojo) are system guys. I think they would strive better in a ball movement type of offense.
                      Cojo played very well last year. He was a key guy in the playoffs for them. For whatever reason he has struggled this season - I would be surprised to find out after the year is over that he hasn't been 100%. Carroll's issues have less to do with system than with his body. He looks terribly broken down. This is not the guy from 3 years ago in ATL.

Comment

Cojo maybe. But Carroll is dead man walking
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          Actually it is embarrassing... and Casey used those exact words last night. 18 years of futility was more like pathetic and depressing, but not really that embarrassing because nobody outside of a small group of hardcore fans really cared. Nobody was watching us back then.

The entire basketball world is watching now, and we're up on that stage and we forgot our lines. That is embarrassing. Lebron flat out dis-respecting us is embarrassing. Our leading scorer getting only 5 points is embarrassing. Pacers got swept by the Cavs, but they made LBJ sweat and definitely didn't embarrass themselves, like the Raps are doing. Especially after we loaded up at the trade deadline to close the gap, which looks like it has actually widened.
                          Did you watch any of the Jordan years?? Have you watched Lebron dad d**k the rest of the NBA during his run?? Because he even did it to the mighty Warriors last year.

The fact Lebron DGAF last round vs the Pacers doesn't mean they respectively kept it close.

Do not project here. Pacers were up by how many in a game?? And Lebron came out at half time caring and what happened? Oh that's right...dad d**k

Listen, I hate the way he's shitting on us. Enough to make me almost want to cheer for the warriors. LOL

But we're embarrassing ourselves as much as you can when you see a man in his alpha prime determined to crush you. AND AND AND his team shooting at a totally unsustainable rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The main issue with the people that want to blow it up, is not so much the outcome, rather it's how they go about it. When we have won in the playoffs it hasn't been convincing, and when we have lost it's been utterly embarrassing regardless whether it's Lebron or not(10 game, game 1 losing streak anybody?). You can keep saying all you want about Michaels and Lebron's greatness, but if you mentally lost before the series has started you have no place being in the position you are in. You can see this through the sheer taunting Lebron has done this series. We have bowed down like a red carpet, rather than trying to punch him in the face... all men bleed.

The team is basketball millenialls... thinking they are entitled to something while bowing out at the first sight of adversity.
                            What would you do if you had the skills and were out there? AND you were playing against a generational talent?? AND his team was shooting contested 3s at a totally unsustainable rate.

I played sports all my life. And I was good. But at some point someone is better. Period. Full stop. Nothing you can do changes that fact.

Play harder? What if you're playing hard and he still does it anyway? What if you make it tough and still they score???

We watched the same games. We missed wide open shots. And when we missed they scored at that unsustainable rate. Their percentages meant we would also have to have played well well outside the mean to compete.

What are you supposed to do when that happens? Punch that fu***r right in the mouth when he hot dogs??

Because that's pretty much your only move. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Zing79 wrote: View Post
                              What are you supposed to do when that happens? Punch that fu***r right in the mouth when he hot dogs?? Because that's pretty much your only move. LOL
                              This is what I'm saying...what do you do when a man spins the ball likes its a free throw and takes a 3 in front of your face? what do you when he does an alley oop off the glass in a PLAYOFF game? what do you do when he stares your bench down? Do you let him do that or the next time he runs into the paint thinking it's a freebie you knock his ass to the ground and make him think twice next time he does it?

I've played sports all my life as well all the way to college level. One thing I've learned growing up is you don't let no one punk you for your lunch money. No matter how much more skill or more physical talent a player possesses over you, you get up in their face and let em know it ain't gunna be easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X