Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Toronto Raptors: "Where NBA Careers and Playoff Dreams Go to Die."

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Toronto Raptors: "Where NBA Careers and Playoff Dreams Go to Die."

    Ouch ... I thought Feschuk was critical. Move aside Dave, there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Bill Lankhof.

    Source - Click here

  • #2
    The Raiders had Rich Gannon put up huge numbers not too long ago so he's wrong there... Anyway, when Oakley, Davis, Williams and JYD were here people cared. Grunwald brought in guys who worked hard and took pride in their profession. Colangelo chose to go with high skills but very soft players.

    Comment


    • #3
      That was a lot of hot air mixed in with a large dose of cliches and a dollop of pop psychology.

      The Flyers just picked bad goalies. And so did the Raiders when it came to QBs (like their last 1st overall pick). The Raptors are what they are for similar reasons...ownership and who they choose to run the team. I shall add one more reason....a quick/patchup fix to try and turn the team around rather than a vision for selecting and grooming players. Apart from the original startup reqts. there has never been a true blowup/rebuild of the team. imo in the NBA this is the only way to reset else you may end up like the NY Knicks who thought they could sign a mish mash of high priced players, give up their draft picks and believe they could turn it around. They are in fact in danger of doing it again....if they dont get a LBJ and one other f/a they could throw their cash at the tier 2-3 f/a to show they were doing something and the treadmill starts again (and they have no draft picks). Bottom line is that ownership must demand that quick fixes are out...but easier said than done I admit...it is a business after all.

      Comment


      • #4
        The Raptors have turned failure into an artform
        .

        In this league, lots of Conventional line-ups are fighting btw each-others to be contender nowadays.Thiny factors are setting the final positions. If you choose to be one of them , then you better get ready to hard dog fight.

        Instead, All you need is to futuristic foresight.

        If you willing to go over the luxury tax or in a position to give to somebody max contract, you should spend it to a dominant center (I know its easy to say).

        One Dominant Center - Four Out Side Shooters is the future of this league.

        Comment


        • #5
          Vellassco wrote: View Post
          .

          If you willing to go over the luxury tax or in a position to give to somebody max contract, you should spend it to a dominant center (I know its easy to say).

          One Dominant Center - Four Out Side Shooters is the future of this league.
          I just read this in another thread, and credit to whoever said it, but it also applies here:
          Dwight Howards don't just fall out of trees.
          How many truly dominant centres do you really think are in this league?

          Comment


          • #6
            Kennay wrote: View Post
            I just read this in another thread, and credit to whoever said it, but it also applies here:
            Dwight Howards don't just fall out of trees.
            How many truly dominant centres do you really think are in this league?
            You don't need to find him in NBA. Thats why i said futuristic. Have you seen D12 five years ago? You know how his body was look like at draft date? He was hell of rough guy from all basketball point of views. You could find his picture beneath definition of "Project" at wikipedia before he turn upper body monster.

            GMs are sitting on over 100-200 mil yearly budgets. If they use those extremely high budgets in a proper way and not waste/send draft picks under trendy idiotic reasons, We would be watching a different basketball (lots of ball movement instead of waiting athletic pg's, sg's driving jumping creating for themselfs).

            Before you sit on Poker table you should have a Long Term Tactic Plan.
            Last edited by Vellassco; Thu Apr 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Vellassco wrote: View Post
              You don't need to find him in NBA. Thats why i said futuristic. Have you seen D12 five years ago? You know how his body was look like at draft date? He was hell of rough guy from all basketball point of views. You could find his picture beneath definition of "Project" at wikipedia before he turn upper body monster.

              GMs are sitting on over 100-200 mil yearly budgets. If they use those extremely high budgets in a proper way and not waste/send draft picks under trendy idiotic reasons, We would be watching a different basketball (lots of ball movement instead of waiting athletic pg's, sg's driving jumping creating for themselfs).

              Before you sit on Poker table you should have a Long Term Tactic Plan.
              Big bodies are nice but they by themselves don't win championships.

              Howard's big body has won him squat so far. In the first two playoff games against the Bobcats at home no less he has had more trouble staying on the court than BC15.

              Talent is great and needed but you can not tell what is in a kids head until he advances and has to compete at a higher level. The sports world garbage bins are filled with athletes with great talent and great bodies but who never got close to fulfilling the expectations of the prognosticators because their heads were not in the right place.

              When the Colts had the first pick the year that they drafted Peyton they had a choice between him and Ryan Leaf. They put both of them through all the physical tests and football tests. They watched tons of film and what was the last thing that the Colts did before they decided who to pick. They had them both in for psychology tests to determine which one had the mental makeup of a winner.

              Peyton scored better on the tests and so the Colts picked him over Leaf who never became much of anything in the NFL.

              The will to win and do whatever it takes to accomplish it can not be determined by looking at an athlete's body or even what he does on skill tests.
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:12 AM.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

              Memories some so sweet, indeed

              Larger Photo of the avatar



              “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

              Comment

              Working...
              X