No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri said "We need a culture reset"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Lowry put up some MVP like numbers against the Heat and Cavs in the 2016 playoffs. So he's not always been trash. Just very inconsistent and scared at times.. which is crazy considering Lowry is such a bulldozer and plays with no fear usually.

Lowry is not the reason why we lost to the Cavs though.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Have to be careful about over-valuing on/off numbers as primary evidence. Like when Patterson's on/off numbers looked great because Scola (worst player on the team) was the guy "on" when 2Pat was "off". Don't have the numbers, but I would imagine that 2Pat's on/off numbers weren't as good when Ibaka was the "on" guy. CoJo has been the "on" guy for Lowry the last few years, and there's a pretty big drop-off there.

But yeah, most of the numbers almost always point to Lowry impacting winning a lot more than DeMar.
      I mean, I mostly used those on-off split to argue that Patterson should be starting over Scola, so the context was very much at the front of my mind in that case. And you are right - after the all-start break, Patterson went from a +10 point swing to a break even on-off split. Of course, Ibaka is pretty good.

Here's an interesting thought. DeRozan's off-court "on guy" is also Cory Joseph. In the vast majority of the team's non-DeRozan minutes, it's a backcourt of Lowry and Joseph. The only reason it's not as big a talent drop off in his case is because he's nowhere near the player Lowry is, which is kind of the point.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        I mean, I mostly used those on-off split to argue that Patterson should be starting over Scola, so the context was very much at the front of my mind in that case. And you are right - after the all-start break, Patterson went from a +10 point swing to a break even on-off split. Of course, Ibaka is pretty good.

Here's an interesting thought. DeRozan's off-court "on guy" is also Cory Joseph. In the vast majority of the team's non-DeRozan minutes, it's a backcourt of Lowry and Joseph. The only reason it's not as big a talent drop off in his case is because he's nowhere near the player Lowry is, which is kind of the point.
        Pretty much what I figured, because Siakam was the "on guy" in the case and PF was yet again the worst starting position on the team; whereas Patterson gets to play with Lowry and demolish bench units.

But are you sure that Joseph should be considered the "on guy" when Derozan goes off? From a positional POV, I would have figured that to be Ross for DD, pre all-star break and then CoJo was starting for the injured Lowry after the all-star break.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          Pretty much what I figured, because Siakam was the "on guy" in the case and PF was yet again the worst starting position on the team; whereas Patterson gets to play with Lowry and demolish bench units.

But are you sure that Joseph should be considered the "on guy" when Derozan goes off? From a positional POV, I would have figured that to be Ross for DD, pre all-star break and then CoJo was starting for the injured Lowry after the all-star break.
          The post-all star break muddies it a bit, but certainly CoJo has been DD's primary off-court replacement the past couple seasons. Both DD/CoJo and Lowry/CoJo played with Ross at the 3 in those bench units. But whenever DD subbed off, it was CoJo who replaced him, especially last season when there was very little of the three guard lineups (CJ-KL-DD together). In terms of looking at raw on-off court performance, DeMar's replacement would almost certainly be Joseph the majority of the time. Of course, you can also look at specific lineups for more context re: competition, etc, but that's all been done before, and all supports the idea that Lowry is the single most important driving force for success on this team, and that DeMar is an important piece for his minutes and usage-eating ways, but not the differentiating reason for the success of the lineups he is in.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            You do know in that 3 year span only Cleveland has more playoffs wins than the raps in the Eastern conference.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
            Right? There's gotta be some balance in the fault-finding here, which is that the only team to beat the Raptors in the post season the last couple of years is the Lebrons.

There's been a "finding ways to win" dynamic with the team the last 2 years that's been good, even during otherwise ugly series. Rolling over and getting blown out by the Cavs, that bothers me a lot more than what we've seen vs other teams the last 2 years. What does it take for this team to show some fight, as a team, against Lebron?
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Kyles play certainly drops off a cliff every playoffs. But strangely (or maybe not so strangely if you have your own theories of why) so does everybody else. Powell seems to be the exception, and flashes from Joseph and JV. Everybody else sucks, like year after year. And I think what dan is getting at is even with his drop in play, kyle remains our mvp in playoffs, despite the lazy journalism from major media that just reads the shooting stats
              That's my whole point.

If Kyle is the best player and the one that makes the team tick, then it should be largely on him that everyone else struggles in the playoffs as well. If your engine isn't working, how is the car supposed to go?

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                Right? There's gotta be some balance in the fault-finding here, which is that the only team to beat the Raptors in the post season the last couple of years is the Lebrons.

There's been a "finding ways to win" dynamic with the team the last 2 years that's been good, even during otherwise ugly series. Rolling over and getting blown out by the Cavs, that bothers me a lot more than what we've seen vs other teams the last 2 years. What does it take for this team to show some fight, as a team, against Lebron?
                That's what I'm wondering. I want to at least get to the level Indiana got to, when they legitimately put the fear of getting eliminated into the Heat.

I just don't want it to be "Ok let's just try to get to the Cavs" and then get smoked in 4 games or a gentleman's 6 game sweep (which is what it was in 2016).

Comment

• Gentleman's 6 game sweep. 1 game away from 7 game gentleman's sweep
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                    Man, I've been silent just watching the fuckery unfold LOL. I swear people on here have serious trouble with reading comprehension lol. They think saying the same thing over and over when stats and facts are thrown at them to prove them wrong constantly will change the truth of the matter. If anyone is watching this team in the playoffs and thinks Kyle Lowry's lack of SHOOTING is what's holding us back they know nothing about basketball. The man clearly puts this team on his back and anyone with a brain can see that. It also happens that advanced stats proves it as well so I really don't understand the confusion. Yes Kyle can shoot the ball better, don't get me wrong, but he does SOOOOOO much others things to help this team win in the playoffs that trust me his shooting is the least of our worries.

We run a system that a high school team could shut down. Maybe if we improved that Kyle and Demar will be able to play better offensively. We also always have guys starting that shouldn't be starting aka Carroll aka Scola etc. Kyle plays worse in the playoffs yes but falling off a cliff is complete bullshit. Shooting isn't the whole game. That's literally the only part that "falls off a cliff". Without his supposed atrocious playoff performances we wouldn't win not one game. So I'll take Kyle Lowry's "falling off a cliff" game any day of the week. Y'all keep talking about how we have the best playoff record after Cleveland in the East for the last 3 years or whatever. Well trust me we would have lost in the first round against the Pacers (JV and Cory were good in that series but we still couldn't win without Kyle) and Milwaukee if it weren't for Kyle. So his game couldn't have fallen off that much. I'll take the intangibles over his shooting any day. Hopefully this year he can have his shooting up to par on top of the intangibles and then we're talking.

Media outside of Toronto barely watch this team and know what Kyle does for us. So if you want to go and listen to them go right ahead. I will not be taking Kyle for granted. He is the reason the Raptors are what they are today, with the help of Demar and cast. Don't forget that and don't let American media cloud your brain. He's always in the top of the league in most advanced stats and stats that actually translates to wins for his team, even in the playoffs, so how one can just ignore that and say we're being biased is beyond me. Just because the man shoots 34% from 3 instead of 40%, but does everything else extremely well and makes his teammates better? Really? Even the eye test proves he's the engine and leads this team to wins in the playoffs so I'm baffled at what we can possibly be arguing about. But continue on gentlemen like you always do lol.
                    C'mon out and take a bow, GLF! The fans are anxiously waiting!

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Gentleman's 6 game sweep. 1 game away from 7 game gentleman's sweep
                      There's no difference between losing in 4 games vs. 7 games. They're all sweeps!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        C'mon out and take a bow, GLF! The fans are anxiously waiting!

Glf has come along way from that wide eyed worrier in his rookie year. Starting to become an impact poster
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          That's my whole point.

If Kyle is the best player and the one that makes the team tick, then it should be largely on him that everyone else struggles in the playoffs as well. If your engine isn't working, how is the car supposed to go?
                          Stop posting

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                            Stop posting
                            It's a forum, use the ignore feature if you don't like what I have to say. Don't you ever tell me to stop posting.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                              It would affect the entire dynamic of the offense. Instead of it stalling while we watch DeMar dribble the air out of the ball, it will be quicker and harder to defend as he's now a threat to hit spot up 3s.
                              Lol, well yes of course it would. But is it realistic to expect Demar to go from a below average 3pt shooter to an above average 3pt shooter? Probably not, based on what we've seen from him so far. And given that Demar handles the ball as much as he does is it really that important that he be the one with the above average 3pt range? Sure it would be awesome, but shooting 3's off the dribble is much more difficult than shooting spot ups, and few players in the league can do it well enough to really affect a defence. Lowry is one of those guys. So, if Demar can shoot well enough from the corners, and get more attempts from there than that would be a step in the right direction. If he can hit spot ups above the break at an average or greater clip, then that would be incredible for the team. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. Stick him in the corner whenever you don't run the O through him, and do it more often than last season.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                Culture reset my ass, Casey's mind is like the rock that he pounds, dense and unmovable object.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.
                                I got the impression that culture reset is coming. If Casey is unwilling or unable to get it done, then I guess new coach will have a go at it.
                                It appears (to me) that ISO ball has worked like a charm in regular season. All 4 years of playoffs another story.
                                Will deviation from Iso ball result in fewer regular season wins? Possibly? Who cares?
                                The goal is to have a team with (hopefully) better shot at plaoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X