Lowry will be extended for the MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowry will be extended for the MAX

Despite the curtain closing on this edition of the Toronto Raptors (albeit the best edition in franchise history), Lowry will be extended for the MAX (or very close to it) and then promptly traded. This is why.

Masai/Raptors can't lose their all-star PG for nothing. That is just silliness. There is no one to plug that hole and they won't even have any cap space to sign a free agent or take on a salary in a trade if he walks. Past behaviour is the great indicator of future behaviour - see: Nene, Nuggets.

Lowry won't leave 1 guaranteed year and $53,000,000 on the table to join his hometown Sixers.

But when next year rolls around and there is no noticeable 'cultural reset', heads will roll, Lowry will be traded, and Masai will finally build the team he has always envisioned versus fluked in to (by the way, did anyone notice the interview with Weltman where he said they tried to tank in 2013? That argument put to rest). So, before the trade deadline, Lowry will be going home to Philly with the extra $50M he couldn't get this summer.

In the end everyone wins.

Masai gets assets.
    Lowry gets seriously PAID.
    Colangelo gets to talk about accelerating the rebuild...but this time be justified.

We all should be familiar with Colangelo. You know he is waiting to pull the trigger on a big deal. To be honest, right now you can't blame him because he actually has to. This is what is currently on Philly's roster: 10 rookie deal players. 10. 2/3 of the roster is on rookie deal contracts with 3 eligible for an extension after 2017-18 season (next summer).

Then looking at the 2017 through 2021 Drafts:
    2017 - one 1st, five 2nd
    2018 - two 1st, three 2nd
    2019 - two 1st, three 2nd
    2020 - two 1st, four 2nd
    2021 - one 1st, two 2nd

Unless the plan is to draft bust after bust or stash after stash (that never come over), they won't actually have enough roster spots for the first round draft picks...let alone the 2nds.

And the draft picks in Philly are going to be nice. They own Lakers 2018 and Kings 2019 - both unprotected - plus their own.

Expect the Sixers to sign a lot of players to ridiculous 1 year contracts or 1 year with team options for 2nd year for trade bait and to leave about $9M in cap space.

Lowry is going home....he just needs to wait 6-7 months.

I don't mind the idea of this...... I used to be all about the continuity and continual progress but If Masai brings back lots of assets....

but what next then, do we trade derozan (id rather not) or just retool?
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Comment

Odin wrote: View Post
        In the end everyone wins.

Masai gets assets.
        Lowry gets seriously PAID.
        Colangelo gets to talk about accelerating the rebuild...but this time be justified.
        Does Casey get fired at the end of this grand scheme?

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
          I don't mind the idea of this...... I used to be all about the continuity and continual progress but If Masai brings back lots of assets....

but what next then, do we trade derozan (id rather not) or just retool?
          In theory, if the Sixers are still bad to mediocre you just retool. Would probably still be good enough to make the playoffs, but when the Sixers lose games you get a decent draft pick. (Assuming some of those picks are early in Lowry's contract.) Sort of how the Celts got the first without losing. You could also package multiple picks to move up in a draft...

This is a great theory to mess around with Odin (Great post!)

Comment

Lowry isn't a MAX player.
            This is ridiculous.

Comment

Here I thought this was actual news and not a crystal ball as a source.

Comment

This would be a very bad gamble. First you are banking on Colangelo to do what's best for us and not his organization. Second, if Lowry gets injured or regresses before December 15th you would be stuck with $200 million on the books. Not to mention this is all subject to Philly not drafting one of the top PG prospects like Ball (should he slip) or Fox.

But unfortunately we don't have a lot of great options. I think Masai just has to sign Lowry to the best deal he can without making any false promises. Then if a trade materializes, so be it.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                  Lowry isn't a MAX player.
                  This is ridiculous.
                  You can argue what is a MAX player all day from a value perspective but the reality is a MAX player is what his contract is and thus what a team is willing to pay.

You realize Allen Crabbe got $18.5M per year last summer, right?

You realize someone is going to offer Otto Porter a max deal this summer, right?

Lowry will be a MAX player or very darn close. Only way Lowry is not getting max is if he decides to give back $1-2M per year or he takes a flat rate salary versus the 7.5% annual raises....basically exactly what DeRozan did.

Comment

JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                    Here I thought this was actual news and not a crystal ball as a source.
                    If you're looking for actual news sources, check out a news site.

If you're looking for fans shooting the poop, well, here we are.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      This would be a very bad gamble. First you are banking on Colangelo to do what's best for us and not his organization. Second, if Lowry gets injured or regresses before December 15th you would be stuck with $200 million on the books. Not to mention this is all subject to Philly not drafting one of the top PG prospects like Ball (should he slip) or Fox.

But unfortunately we don't have a lot of great options. I think Masai just has to sign Lowry to the best deal he can without making any false promises. Then if a trade materializes, so be it.
                      The bold is spot on....and then Masai trades him.

Comment

Odin wrote: View Post
                        The bold is spot on....and then Masai trades him.
                        A trade will come

Comment

Bring it on.

Comment

Any plan that includes retaining Casey will fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

Lots of good points in this post. Should have spent more time earlier.

Bold 1:
                              What is good for Sixers in this situation is to consolidate assets and start bringing in guys who can contribute to winning. Bringing in a 3x All-Star who happens to be a hometown boy is a just the cherry. They have more draft picks than roster spots in next few years. I don't think Sixers take a risk on trading for a PG13 who could bolt. Plus Lowry has lots of experience playing off the ball with the Raptors and with point forward Ben Simmons doing a lot of ball handling, his shooting/spacing would fit very well with Simmons.

Bold 2:
                              Even if they draft a top PG I don't think that means much. Lots of 2 PG line ups in todays NBA or the young buck can earn his stripes. Personally, I think Fultz and Ball are only good PGs at top of draft from college players. They are also very thin on wing. Stauskas is not an NBA starter (or maybe even rotational player). TLC is still raw. Anderson is promising. McConnell can still run the show for a while.

As for Lowry getting injured or regressing, anything is possible. I'd be more worked about him getting fat.

My only point is the Raptors/Masai have no means to make up for his loss - they don't have a high draft pick, they don't have cap space, they can't sign free agents - so look for him to get a huge payday and a ticket out of town shortly afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X