No announcement yet.

Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have long suspected the poor shooting is in partially attributable to the intensely aggressive defensive schemes and heavy minutes. not sure it's all down to lack of natural shooting ability (thought there's some of that obviously) or nick's inability to teaching it

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
      i have long suspected the poor shooting is in partially attributable to the intensely aggressive defensive schemes and heavy minutes. not sure it's all down to lack of natural shooting ability (thought there's some of that obviously) or nick's inability to teaching it
      He's shooting 38.8% on the season, that's great, he just had a short slump, it happens. He's still playing awesome defense and his 3 is back.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

He's shooting 38.8% on the season, that's great, he just had a short slump, it happens. He's still playing awesome defense and his 3 is back.
        sorry i wasn't referring to OG specifically, was a comment on this team's general lack of shooting related to golden's criticism of nick's (in)ability to teach shooting and the ensuing discussion

i've always been team OG. no tempered expectations here

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

sorry i wasn't referring to OG specifically, was a comment on this team's general lack of shooting related to golden's criticism of nick's (in)ability to teach shooting and the ensuing discussion

i've always been team OG. no tempered expectations here
          I wasn’t only criticizing Nurse’s ability to teach shooting, I was also pointing out that roster construction was foolishly banking on this. It even says that’s why we were comfortable drafting Scottie and trading for Precious. Probably Banton too.

The article literally leads with “offensive success will depend on Nurse’s ability to teach shooting” and Nurse himself doubles down and doesn’t shy away from saying he can teach shooting to anybody who is willing to work.

2 years in, it’s a good time to check receipts and see how Masai and Bobby’s bet has paid off…. or not.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I wasn’t only criticizing Nurse’s ability to teach shooting, I was also pointing out that roster construction was foolishly banking on this. It even says that’s why we were comfortable drafting Scottie and trading for Precious. Probably Banton too.

The article literally leads with “offensive success will depend on Nurse’s ability to teach shooting” and Nurse himself doubles down and doesn’t shy away from saying he can teach shooting to anybody who is willing to work.

2 years in, it’s a good time to check receipts and see how Masai and Bobby’s bet has paid off…. or not.
            That's Aaron Rose's article. That's just his opinion. He's not authority on anything.

They invested into NOAH system back in Casey's days. Your premise that they bet on Nurse is not real
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

That's Aaron Rose's article. That's just his opinion. He's not authority on anything.

They invested into NOAH system back in Casey's days. Your premise that they bet on Nurse is not real
              The quotes about being able to teach shooting to anybody who's willing to work are directly from Nurse, not Aaron Rose. That factors directly into what qualities the team is drafting for:

“Versatile, defensive mindset... if they can make a shot, great

That’s what Toronto Raptors GM Bobby Webster said during his pre-draft availability the other day when asked what the team was looking for in the 2022 NBA Draft.
              They've been bringing in defensive guys to fit Nurse's aggressive schemes... as #1 priority. That's the other Kool Aid that Bobby/Masai foolishly drank.... the genius defensive schemes. And they are hoping that Nurse can teach those defensive studs, shooting as the crux of player development. They believed their own "Raptors teach shooting" hype, based on OG, Norm and Pascal. I questioned that many times on here, and kept hearing that myth regurgitated as fact. Apparently, the front office believed it too. And even moreso, having the guy who "wrote the book on shooting" as the head professor.

Why is it so hard to believe that a coach and front-office would be on the same page, when it comes to system/personnel fit & player development? That's how non-dysfunctional front offices and coaching staffs should operate, no?

Comment

The quotes about being able to teach shooting to anybody who's willing to work are directly from Nurse, not Aaron Rose. That factors directly into what qualities the team is drafting for:

They've been bringing in defensive guys to fit Nurse's aggressive schemes... as #1 priority. That's the other Kool Aid that Bobby/Masai foolishly drank.... the genius defensive schemes. And they are hoping that Nurse can teach those defensive studs, shooting as the crux of player development. They believed their own "Raptors teach shooting" hype, based on OG, Norm and Pascal. I questioned that many times on here, and kept hearing that myth regurgitated as fact. Apparently, the front office believed it too. And even moreso, having the guy who "wrote the book on shooting" as the head professor.

Why is it so hard to believe that a coach and front-office would be on the same page, when it comes to system/personnel fit & player development? That's how non-dysfunctional front offices and coaching staffs should operate, no?
                They been drafting defensive minded guys since Casey. Who was a pure sharpshooter who they signed under Casey? CJ Miles. Everybody else were defensive minded dudes who couldn't really shoot. It's not new development under Nurse.

We all remember Summer 3s and Death, Taxes and JV 3s. Lets not act like it happened just under Nurse.

They interviewed Nurse and picked a coach who aligned with their vision as well.

Also we lost 2 guys to non-basketball reasons who already were established shooters. So they didn't go all in on non-shooters on purpose.
                Last edited by MixxAOR; Wed Mar 29, 2023, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• https://theathletic.com/2778228/2021...build-raptors/

Masai Ujiri is betting on himself, his philosophy and his ‘home’ as he tries to rebuild Raptors

“Our three main players (Siakam, VanVleet and Anunoby) come from our development program,” Ujiri said. “I said it here when I sat here eight years ago (when he came from Denver to Toronto to run the Raptors), we are going to develop players and we are going to build on that. I’m saying it again: We are going to continue to develop these players and we’re going to find a way to win a championship here based on our development of our players.”

Comment

• Masai is not the one sipping on Kool-Aid. He's the one who serves

Comment

Its more so you saying the front office is doing whatever they can to fit Nick's scheme over Nick fitting into what Masai has envisioned. Probably a bit of both, but it usually starts with the guy at the top and everyone else buys in.

Bringing in long and/or defensive minded guys isn't a new thing. Masai has done that since he has been here.

Drafted Poeltl, OG, Pascal, Caboclo and Wright.

Signed for guys like Hansbrough, Carroll (both defense and shooting), Biyombo, James Johnson, Stone, Nogueira.

Traded for guys like Serge and Tucker (Can shoot, but defense guy first).

You have the odd offensive guys that he brought in like Meeks, Lin, Scola and Miles.

You can trace defensive minded guys back to the Nuggets too. Masai drafted Faried, traded for Iguodala, McGee and Andre Miller.
                      Last edited by A.I; Wed Mar 29, 2023, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Masai said he tried to do it in Denver a little bit at first.

Comment

• "You have the odd offensive guys that he (Masai) brought in like Meeks, Lin, Scola and Miles."
                          Ouch, what an indictment.

Masai simply cannot afford to miss again at the draft.

Comment

https://theathletic.com/2778228/2021...build-raptors/

Masai Ujiri is betting on himself, his philosophy and his ‘home’ as he tries to rebuild Raptors

The guy who said he's going to win a championship based on player development traded these players (DeMar and Jakob) for established vets ( Kawhi and Marc).
                            Last edited by Kagemusha; Thu Mar 30, 2023, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

The guy who said he's going to win a championship based on player development traded these players (DeMar and Jakob) for established vets ( Kawhi and Marc).
                              Nothing untrue about what Masai said is there? We did develop DeMar and Jak, as well as JV to the point where other teams wanted them. You're taking his words too literally if you think he means we have to win the championship with only players we have developed on the roster.

Comment

https://theathletic.com/2778228/2021...build-raptors/

Yep. We are in agreement. The franchise is betting on development, like we always have. Just isn’t working like it did before, since Nurse.

What we disagree on is that you think lack of player development in the Nurse era is 100% Masai and players, and 0% Nurse.

We can even extend this problem to lack of bench development in the Nurse era, which was rarely a problem under Casey, rather a strength.
                                Last edited by golden; Thu Mar 30, 2023, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X