No announcement yet.

Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love, the pick. Doesnt really go with the whole "culture reset" statement. This pick pretty much goes a long with what we've been doing. Get defensive first players and teach them how to play offense.

Status quo pick. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri Jun 23, 2017, 09:05 AM.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's funny how league changed. 3 years ago he would be called a tweener. Now it's versatile forward
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Love this pick. Was rooting for him to slip to us.

Reports last night were that he is 2 months ahead of schedule on his rehab, which would put him back on the court with full contact in September or October. Already doing shooting work. So may get some pre-season looks at him even if no summer league.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I suppose the last word should rest on the best medical minds in the org. but what's the rush? Let him have a vigorous rehab, then a controlled stint with the 905 and then bring him in. This is a typical 12 month recuperative process (he was injured mid Jan.).

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
            Best player available I would rather sign back James Johnson I hate our scouts
            Derrick White was not the best player available.

Anunoby was a consensus top 10 pick in January before he tore his ACL, definitely the best on the board at 23.

ACL injuries aren't as scary as they were 10 years ago. Most people can recover well from them now, if treated properly. Plus he's still so young I'm not too concerned about it.

I'd personally be more afraid of foot or back injuries. Or a meniscus tear even. Long recovery times for ACL injuries, but they aren't the career ending death sentence they used to be.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post

Anunoby was a consensus top 10 pick in January before he tore his ACL, definitely the best on the board at 23.

ACL injuries aren't as scary as they were 10 years ago.
              Most people can recover well from them now, if treated properly. Plus he's still so young I'm not too concerned about it.
              Scary enough to drop all the way to late first round.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                GMs can be skittish...their preference is having a Round 1 suited player on day 1. I am sure his med. records were available to all. The upside is too much to pass up on at #23.

Comment

Derrick White was not the best player available.

ACL injuries aren't as scary as they were 10 years ago. Most people can recover well from them now, if treated properly. Plus he's still so young I'm not too concerned about it.

I'd personally be more afraid of foot or back injuries. Or a meniscus tear even. Long recovery times for ACL injuries, but they aren't the career ending death sentence they used to be.
                  Didn't lowry have an ACL tear in college too?

Comment

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft...c-e345e30acdd6

Could O.G. grow into becoming a quality small-ball center?

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      But that's not all directly related to concerns on how he could be coming back from injury.

He wasn't able to participate in the draft combine, and while I haven't checked I imagine if he was asked to workout for teams it would be in a very limited capacity. With the exception of Fultz, most other top prospects went head to head in March Madness, didn't get to see Anunoby there though.

You're drafting this guy based off of what you saw 6 months ago and an interview with a team. You're taking guys ahead of them because your scouting is more complete on those players, doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

Also there's still a variable of risk/reward. The higher you are in the draft the higher risk it is to take someone who you haven't seen play basketball in six months. He's a high risk/ high reward player. But the more he falls the reward stays high but the risk is low.

If he doesn't pan out for the Raps, oh well, we wasted the 23rd pick it's not that big of a deal. If he doesn't pan out for say the Knicks at 8, it's a much bigger issue.

Not saying that he'll definitely come back 100% and live up to that top 10 hype. Chances are he'll sit on the bench for a couple seasons and ends up a role player off the bench and a decent #23. But the Raptors got someone at 23 who I believe has a higher chance of being as good as the guys in the top 10 than most of the players outside of it.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                        Didn't lowry have an ACL tear in college too?
                        Yeah

Comment

Great pick!

If this feature from last Nov doesn't get you excited about him, I don't know what will
                          https://theringer.com/og-anunoby-hyp...r-a90bda92fced

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            GMs can be skittish...their preference is having a Round 1 suited player on day 1. I am sure his med. records were available to all. The upside is too much to pass up on at #23.
                            As Blake noted in his draft podcast, GMs and front office types can be skittish about drafting players coming off an an injury because a GM's perspective timeline tends to be shorter term. They don't often have the luxury of being able to wait a couple of years and see the results of a player's development, as they may be fired before that occurs.

Comment

But that's not all directly related to concerns on how he could be coming back from injury.

He wasn't able to participate in the draft combine, and while I haven't checked I imagine if he was asked to workout for teams it would be in a very limited capacity. With the exception of Fultz, most other top prospects went head to head in March Madness, didn't get to see Anunoby there though.

You're drafting this guy based off of what you saw 6 months ago and an interview with a team. You're taking guys ahead of them because your scouting is more complete on those players, doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

Also there's still a variable of risk/reward. The higher you are in the draft the higher risk it is to take someone who you haven't seen play basketball in six months. He's a high risk/ high reward player. But the more he falls the reward stays high but the risk is low.

If he doesn't pan out for the Raps, oh well, we wasted the 23rd pick it's not that big of a deal. If he doesn't pan out for say the Knicks at 8, it's a much bigger issue.

Not saying that he'll definitely come back 100% and live up to that top 10 hype. Chances are he'll sit on the bench for a couple seasons and ends up a role player off the bench and a decent #23. But the Raptors got someone at 23 who I believe has a higher chance of being as good as the guys in the top 10 than most of the players outside of it.
                              Worth adding: apparently the Raptors had him in the top 10 on their draft boards as well.

Comment

The_Warlord wrote: View Post
                                Great pick!

If this feature from last Nov doesn't get you excited about him, I don't know what will
                                https://theringer.com/og-anunoby-hyp...r-a90bda92fced
                                “The measurements aren’t really believable, but then you look at some of the plays that he makes.” Indiana lists him at 6-foot-8 and 235 pounds with a purported 7-foot-6 wingspan, numbers which essentially break the DraftExpress physical measurements database. There are 10 players listed on DraftExpress with arms as long as Anunoby. They are all at least 7 feet tall, and they all play center. None of them play out on the perimeter.
                                Wowza

Comment

Working...
                                X