Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    OG is exactly the kind of pick needed to vault off of the dreaded 'very good team treadmill' and onto the elite one. Atlanta never added one, the Spurs did.
    The Spurs did, but they also groomed him to be a leader. They had him work with a premier shooting coach and Pop repeatedly stressed how he wanted Kawhi to have the ball in his hands more.

From 2014:
    "We ran more plays for him tonight than I ever have in his career," Popovich said afterward. "That's the plan. We've got to start giving him the ball. You know, he's the future. I don't think Timmy (Duncan) and Manu (Ginobili) are going to play any more than maybe six or seven more years. So we've got to let somebody else do something."
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...vich/18838947/

It doesn't have to happen this year, but we definitely have to plan for the long term and build up his work capacity and his confidence. If we pull the same yo-yo act that we did with Jonas, OG will never reach his full potential.

Comment

• So Durant praises OG and also studied Deozan footwork in the summer..hmm.. Come to Toronto Durant!! You will forever be remembered as the star player that took the easiest path to get the ring instead of earning it!!

Comment

OG is exactly the kind of pick needed to vault off of the dreaded 'very good team treadmill' and onto the elite one. Atlanta never added one, the Spurs did.
        Can we slow down a little bit?

I'm guessing you're referring to Kawhi Leonard. Arguably the 2nd.best player in basketball.

OG right now is just a rookie. He's a good defender who can shoot a little bit. How good can he be? time will tell. Right now he's just a role player.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

I get the comp and I don't want to pick it apart, but lets not under rate how good the Spurs were in the end of the Tim Duncan era. They were competing for championships with or without Leonard.

I agree though, didn't see how the Raps could extend their chances without getting more talent, and Masai managed to do it while capped out. Incredible. Willing to say incredibly lucky as well

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            Can we slow down a little bit?

I'm guessing you're referring to Kawhi Leonard. Arguably the 2nd.best player in basketball.

OG right now is just a rookie. He's a good defender who can shoot a little bit. How good can he be? time will tell. Right now he's just a role player.
            That's why I said it's that type of pick - ie one with the potential to be a home run outside the lottery.

Comment

• Has anyone seen a 2017 redraft where they draft OG high? Kuzma Collins and OG would be the biggest risers I’d assume

Comment

• Alex91 wrote: View Post
                Has anyone seen a 2017 redraft where they draft OG high? Kuzma Collins and OG would be the biggest risers I’d assume
                Here's one from Bill Simmons. He doesn't rank anything, just 9 guys that "should have gone higher"

BS: It’s way too early. And I’m going to change my mind 10 more times this season and write this as a real column at some point. Remember, I value rookies based on “Can they help me win a title?” and not “Can they help me win my fantasy league?” At least we can figure out who got drafted lower than they should have. Right now, these nine guys would go higher in any redraft than they originally did. I’m ranking these nine in order of my personal favorites on November 10, 2017 (knowing this could all change in 10 days) …

Jayson Tatum (3): The first pick every time. Pierce crossed with Granger, maybe better.

Jonathan Isaac (6): Not sure what he is yet, just know I haven’t seen it before.

Lauri Markkanen (7): The Finnisher! Mild Dirk 2.0 potential. Repeat: Mild.

John Collins (19): An old-school athletic 6-foot-10 guy?!?!? Yes, please!

Kyle Kuzma (27): I didn’t want to get sucked in but … fuck.

Frankie Smokes (8): Destructive defensively. Fearless. Had to mention him even if he only goes 1 pick higher.

OG Anunoby (23): Shouldn’t have fallen that far.

Jordan Bell (38): Shame on the Cheap-Ass Bulls. SHAME.

Semi Ojeleye (37): Either the Poor Man’s Draymond or the Homeless Man’s Draymond. Hey, at least my team got a version of a Draymond!
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  So Durant praises OG and also studied Deozan footwork in the summer..hmm.. Come to Toronto Durant!! You will forever be remembered as the star player that took the easiest path to get the ring instead of earning it!!
                  That dumbass should have come here first. If he had won a ring with us his legacy would have been unassailable. Instead he makes fake twitter accounts trying to defend himself.

Comment

• Inside OG's rehab:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...tensive-rehab/

Great read.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Interested to see how he chooses to develop his game. These types of articles make me think sky is the limit for this guy. Incredible.

Comment

Completely false premise.

The Spurs were ALREADY an elite team without Leonard and had ALREADY won FOUR championships without him. What separated the Spurs from Atlanta was TIM DUNCAN, the greatest PF of all time (period).

Kawhi only helped extend their window as an elite team. Without Duncan, that team is not winning ANY rings.

Some people like you really take this Spurs narrative and comparison too far without realizing we aren't even close as a franchise. The Spurs had 3 HALL OF FAME players (and 1 HOF Coach who maybe GOAT coach), we don't have a SINGLE HOF and they likely have added another in Kawhi who is a MVP candidate.

We really need to understand there are levels to this and we're not on that level and I'm probably one of (if not the) biggest OG fans on this board but I understand OG is not at Kawhi's level and assuming he will be is far fetched at this point. Players like Kawhi and Giannis' development are so unusual in how much better they became. Sure that's the HOPE but for now that's all it is right now.

In addition to that by the time OG starts hopefully taping into that kinda potential, Lowry and Ibaka will be over the hill and unlike Pops who managed Duncan, Parker and Manu's minutes incredibly well over their ENTIRE careers. Aside from this season so far (which is only 1/4 through) has ran Lowry right into the ground where he's been injured by Playoff time for the last FOUR years straight. We're not even remotely in the same category as the Spurs.

While I think we're a notch above the Hawks, we are/will be equally a notch below the Spurs.

About the closest thing we can hope for is possibly being like the 04' Pistons with less time and lacking the Big Ben at the C position. Not to mention their ring was a fluke imo being that it took some of the worst dysfunction ever to win a Finals....one so big it split up the most talented duo the league ever seen that very year versus a GSW super team that blends perfectly.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                          Completely false premise.

The Spurs were ALREADY an elite team without Leonard and had ALREADY won FOUR championships without him. What separated the Spurs from Atlanta was TIM DUNCAN, the greatest PF of all time (period).

Kawhi only helped extend their window as an elite team. Without Duncan, that team is not winning ANY rings.

Some people like you really take this Spurs narrative and comparison too far without realizing we aren't even close as a franchise. The Spurs had 3 HALL OF FAME players (and 1 HOF Coach who maybe GOAT coach), we don't have a SINGLE HOF and they likely have added another in Kawhi who is a MVP candidate.

We really need to understand there are levels to this and we're not on that level and I'm probably one of (if not the) biggest OG fans on this board but I understand OG is not at Kawhi's level and assuming he will be is far fetched at this point. Players like Kawhi and Giannis' development are so unusual in how much better they became. Sure that's the HOPE but for now that's all it is right now.

In addition to that by the time OG starts hopefully taping into that kinda potential, Lowry and Ibaka will be over the hill and unlike Pops who managed Duncan, Parker and Manu's minutes incredibly well over their ENTIRE careers. Aside from this season so far (which is only 1/4 through) has ran Lowry right into the ground where he's been injured by Playoff time for the last FOUR years straight. We're not even remotely in the same category as the Spurs.

While I think we're a notch above the Hawks, we are/will be equally a notch below the Spurs.

About the closest thing we can hope for is possibly being like the 04' Pistons with less time and lacking the Big Ben at the C position. Not to mention their ring was a fluke imo being that it took some of the worst dysfunction ever to win a Finals....one so big it split up the most talented duo the league ever seen that very year versus a GSW super team that blends perfectly.
                          My post was about potentially hitting a homerun later in the draft, not about comparing our franchise with the Spurs'. But don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

Comment

My post was about potentially hitting a homerun later in the draft, not about comparing our franchise with the Spurs'. But don't let that get in the way of a good rant.
                            wait are we still trying to go back towards attempting towards a tanking argument AGAIN?!

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                              wait are we still trying to go back towards attempting towards a tanking argument AGAIN?!
                              Huh?

Comment

Huh?
                                more in response to the quote before your's

Comment

Working...
                                X