No announcement yet.

Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I'm not sure it's OG's handle that needs work so much as body control. He needs to be able to adjust his physicality for the defender, since he's a bit of a tweener in his role and he'll have a pretty wide range of guys defending him. It's nice to not get called for fouls because you can drive your shoulder into Sabonis without him flopping over, but OG also has to be able to post up and drive on guards without fouling or falling down when they pull the chair etc. It's body control & offensive awareness, having your head up, not so much the handle imho. Can be learned through reps, hopefully it improves this season with his increased usage.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

How many more years till he goes into the crowd and throws haymakers?
      lol exactly

Artest/MWP at his peak was a really good player. Guarded 5 positions, could avg 20+ ppg, moved the ball really well. Sort of a wing Draymond with more scoring. OG doesn't pass as well as MWP did, but he shoots the 3 better. Can he also develop into a 20+ ppg guy? Some of that is opportunity, you usually only have a couple of those on a team and right now that'll be Fred and Siakam.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        I'm sure Indy will be preparing for OG tonight. Nate might not have recognized this OG. Will be interesting to see how OG responds
        So maybe Nurse could go with TD & Matt Thomas and more minutes for Boucher as a curveball. Heavy minutes for Stanley and Bembry might work in single game doses, but teams will eventually figure out how to load up on whoever else is on the court with them.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          Yeah, I'm not sure it's OG's handle that needs work so much as body control. He needs to be able to adjust his physicality for the defender, since he's a bit of a tweener in his role and he'll have a pretty wide range of guys defending him. It's nice to not get called for fouls because you can drive your shoulder into Sabonis without him flopping over, but OG also has to be able to post up and drive on guards without fouling or falling down when they pull the chair etc. It's body control & offensive awareness, having your head up, not so much the handle imho. Can be learned through reps, hopefully it improves this season with his increased usage.
          It's all about balance. OG has the same problem that Siakam has, i.e., he stumbles or turns it over when he encounters pressure while dribbling in traffic. Maybe they need to work with Drew Hanlan (Beal, Tatum, Lavine, Embiid) or another one of those elite skills coaches.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

It's all about balance. OG has the same problem that Siakam has, i.e., he stumbles or turns it over when he encounters pressure while dribbling in traffic. Maybe they need to work with Drew Hanlan (Beal, Tatum, Lavine, Embiid) or another one of those elite skills coaches.
            And who knows what they do in practices, but often over the years you're generally matched up in drills/scrimmages with similar sized players who play your position. Then in game situations, teams throw a smaller player at you. It's not unusual at all for bigger players to struggle when that starts happening, they're not used to it.

But yeah, that whole thing where you can see the ball handler decide what he's going to do out on the perimeter, then try to dribble straight through 3 guys as they read and react to his drive. Got to respond to what the defence throws at you as the play develops. I really think it's mostly reps and hopefully gets better for OG.

My main beef with Siakam in similar situations is he's still mostly avoiding contact on his drives. Needs to learn to initiate it, to either create space for his shot or draw fouls. You can't always be spinning/fading away from the contact, that leaves you with far more difficult shot attempts and takes all the pressure off the defence. But it is a super subtle thing to put just enough shoulder/elbow into a guy to create space but not so much that you get the offensive foul - especially on smaller players. OG and Siakam both need to keep going at that contact, they just need to do the right thing with it instead of falling down in the key.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

And who knows what they do in practices, but often over the years you're generally matched up in drills/scrimmages with similar sized players who play your position. Then in game situations, teams throw a smaller player at you. It's not unusual at all for bigger players to struggle when that starts happening, they're not used to it.

But yeah, that whole thing where you can see the ball handler decide what he's going to do out on the perimeter, then try to dribble straight through 3 guys as they read and react to his drive. Got to respond to what the defence throws at you as the play develops. I really think it's mostly reps and hopefully gets better for OG.

My main beef with Siakam in similar situations is he's still mostly avoiding contact on his drives. Needs to learn to initiate it, to either create space for his shot or draw fouls. You can't always be spinning/fading away from the contact, that leaves you with far more difficult shot attempts and takes all the pressure off the defence. But it is a super subtle thing to put just enough shoulder/elbow into a guy to create space but not so much that you get the offensive foul - especially on smaller players. OG and Siakam both need to keep going at that contact, they just need to do the right thing with it instead of falling down in the key.
              True, but Siakam has much slimmer shoulders, skinnier base and a higher center of gravity than OG. He probably does need to play more a Durant or Ingram, with the fadeaways, jump-shots and spins, rather than like Kawhi or Lebron who can absorb contact without losing their dribble.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

True, but Siakam has much slimmer shoulders, skinnier base and a higher center of gravity than OG. He probably does need to play more a Durant or Ingram, with the fadeaways, jump-shots and spins, rather than like Kawhi or Lebron who can absorb contact without losing their dribble.
                Good point and I totally agree. Pascal should not force himself to be a player that he is not with the physical body not built to be a bruiser.

Unfortunately I noticed that his jumpshots since Kawhi left the office are always short, I meant 2 inches short clunking the front rim. He also seem to not be the bff of the backboard with his angles not at the right spot missing lay ups. Another issue I have with him is that he is too reliant with lay up. He does have the elevation, motor and length to just fucking DUNK THE BALL. Stop being dependent on these layups using the backboard. So Stupid old school basketball.

He frequently now hangs his head down everytime he misses a shot or annoyingly complains to the refs. Quit being like Derozan.

Yes I fully understand that since year 3 after Kawhi left, attention and focus of opposing teams to him defensively has increased but some of his flaws are more mental.

If Masai wants Pascal to thrive, he should trade for a dynamic wing like Beal. It will be a matter of choice financially to either keep him or Van Vleet. Both together will not work long term.

Comment

• The style that gives Pascal much joy is uptempo where he is most effective.
                  Transitions, cuts, putbacks.
                  The kind that hides many of his flaws.
                  Slow pace exposes his weakness and it results in the problems we see now.

Comment

• this guy is the best defender in the entire league.

Comment

• Even when his shot isn't falling his defence fully transforms this team, and makes the small ball viable. Also had some sweet finishes at the rim tonight
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• That pass deserves its own thread

Comment

• The amount of physical and mental energy this kid unleashes on the the defensive end, almost always guarding the best opposing players, is unreal. This combination of athleticism and positional awareness on that end, at 23, is super rare.

Comment

• It was a classic case of his impact not showing as much on the stat sheet but this was one of his best games ever imo

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                              It was a classic case of his impact not showing as much on the stat sheet but this was one of his best games ever imo
                              He's Shane Battier with offense....

Comment

• My 3&D guy...legit and no doubt will soon be an All Defensive Star.

My wish he remains healthy and please improve that pain tolerance OG.

Comment

Working...
                                X