Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think we should tank.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think we should tank.

    I'm hoping Lowry walks so it forces us to make this decision, but I really don't think we can compete at the top level right now, and it would be in our best interest to tank and basically go through the process that Philly did.

    - We have all of our own picks
    - We already have a base of some interesting prospects in Anunoby, Powell, Wright, Poeltl, Caboclo and Siakam
    - Our best player (if Lowry leaves, DeRozan) is still in his prime and can be traded for value, as can Valanciunas. It's not a necessity to move Carroll, but if we can get value for him why not?

    I'd just trade DeRozan, CoJo and JV for the best return we can get and then just try to be as bad as possible this upcoming season. The only team in my opinion that would be worse than us on paper is the Nets. Plus Masai could then use that as an excuse to get rid of Casey and bring in his own young coach (maybe Udoka) to lead the team going forwards. See what we have in the young guys currently on the roster, then add some more via the aforementioned trades and look to get a superstar (or multiple) in the upcoming drafts.

    We've had a good run but I think a rebuild is necessary, I just don't see us peaking higher than the 2016 playoffs. Even the teams that are around our level are better positioned to improve than we are: Celtics (tons of assets), Wizards (younger than us), Houston (just got CP3), etc. And a lot of the teams below us are younger and will likely pass our level like Milwaukee and Minnesota.
    23
    Nope. No Way. We're gunning for a ring!
    17.39%
    4
    If Lowry leaves we might as well trade DD and JV ... but I'd rather not.
    34.78%
    8
    What about a "Soft Tank" .. that's a thing right?
    17.39%
    4
    Go Full on Philly-tank. "We the Process".
    13.04%
    3
    Blow it all up including Management. Trade Masai for Picks!
    13.04%
    3
    Other.
    4.35%
    1

  • #2
    We've been shit for 20 yrs!

    Lowry
    DD
    Norm
    Ibaka
    DJ

    Win or lose, I'd love to see that team fight!

    Comment


    • #3
      If Lowry walks, this is a real possibility.

      If Lowry wants to stay, I'd have a very hard time agreeing with a decision to move on from this core. And I've been a pretty firm advocate of the tank in the past.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • #4
        DanH wrote: View Post
        If Lowry walks, this is a real possibility.

        If Lowry wants to stay, I'd have a very hard time agreeing with a decision to move on from this core. And I've been a pretty firm advocate of the tank in the past.
        I mean I don't even want Lowry to stay if he wants to. He falls apart in the playoffs and he's only going to get worse and older. Plus we'll be paying him like $30M a year if not more. I'm really hoping he decides to go elsewhere so we can move on from this core. It's just not really going anywhere.

        DeRozan should be like the 3rd or 4th best player on a championship team, ideally as a 6th man, yet we're relying on him as our primary scoring option in the playoffs. That's just a recipe for failure, and I'm not even trying to knock DeMar cause I really like him. We just need to start over.

        Comment


        • #5
          No interest in tanking right now. Our franchise needs a long sustained stint of success. Even if we don't resign kyle, I think a couple 40-50 win seasons would benefit this franchise in the long run. Look at Memphis for example. Sure they didn't and won't win a championship with their current core, but they have grown into a first class organization known for its success and it'll make them better in the long run.

          Run with DD for a while and have a few successful seasons, a couple playoff rounds won and then retool. Masai has worked hard to build this image and I'm not sure it would be good to find ourselves back in the gutter because nothing is guaranteed.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            DanH wrote: View Post
            If Lowry walks, this is a real possibility.

            If Lowry wants to stay, I'd have a very hard time agreeing with a decision to move on from this core. And I've been a pretty firm advocate of the tank in the past.
            This is where I stand too. If Lowry bolts, bust out the sledgehammer.

            Otherwise, keep the core together, and hope George gets traded west, and LeBron follows in 2018.

            Comment


            • #7
              lewro wrote: View Post
              We've been shit for 20 yrs!

              Lowry
              DD
              Norm
              Ibaka
              DJ

              Win or lose, I'd love to see that team fight!
              I agree

              Comment


              • #8
                We havent been good enough, long enough to afford a tank.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think if Lowry goes you run this thing back for a year then trade for future assets and tank next year.... It's a bit too early, about a year too early to tank.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                    I think if Lowry goes you run this thing back for a year then trade for future assets and tank next year.... It's a bit too early, about a year too early to tank.
                    I'd have no issue re-signing FA's if Lowry bolts - the question is if they would be interested in re-signing when the team will clearly be worse. If they'll re-sign, great, we'll flip them at the deadline and run a late tank to suppress the win totals from 30-40 to 20-30. If not, oh well. No real control over FA's in that scenario.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      We havent been good enough, long enough to afford a tank.
                      The fans have always attended games for this team, sink or swim, so I don't believe it's much of a risk. Diehards will remain loyal, casuals will do their thing and still follow at a distance, and who gives a shit about the bandwagoners? They're only around when you win no matter who you are.

                      I'm not looking to tank, but i would be opposed if we come out of this summer looking worse than we went in, especially given the current landscape of the league.
                      The Double Champ is here!
                      Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                      Raptors: Larry O'Brien

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        I'm hoping Lowry walks so it forces us to make this decision, but I really don't think we can compete at the top level right now, and it would be in our best interest to tank and basically go through the process that Philly did.

                        - We have all of our own picks
                        - We already have a base of some interesting prospects in Anunoby, Powell, Wright, Poeltl, Caboclo and Siakam
                        - Our best player (if Lowry leaves, DeRozan) is still in his prime and can be traded for value, as can Valanciunas. It's not a necessity to move Carroll, but if we can get value for him why not?

                        I'd just trade DeRozan, CoJo and JV for the best return we can get and then just try to be as bad as possible this upcoming season. The only team in my opinion that would be worse than us on paper is the Nets. Plus Masai could then use that as an excuse to get rid of Casey and bring in his own young coach (maybe Udoka) to lead the team going forwards. See what we have in the young guys currently on the roster, then add some more via the aforementioned trades and look to get a superstar (or multiple) in the upcoming drafts.

                        We've had a good run but I think a rebuild is necessary, I just don't see us peaking higher than the 2016 playoffs. Even the teams that are around our level are better positioned to improve than we are: Celtics (tons of assets), Wizards (younger than us), Houston (just got CP3), etc. And a lot of the teams below us are younger and will likely pass our level like Milwaukee and Minnesota.
                        So how many years before we're true contenders?
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mack North wrote: View Post
                          The fans have always attended games for this team, sink or swim, so I don't believe it's much of a risk. Diehards will remain loyal, casuals will do their thing and still follow at a distance, and who gives a shit about the bandwagoners? They're only around when you win no matter who you are.

                          I'm not looking to tank, but i would be opposed if we come out of this summer looking worse than we went in, especially given the current landscape of the league.
                          I would say Bell and Rogers.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                          Comment


                          • #14


                            2:40, Sid pretty much sums up my thoughts. Also can we move this thread to the couple others that were made with the same topic?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              So how many years before we're true contenders?
                              I don't know, the point isn't to know how long it's going to take, it's to get started on the process.

                              And I disagree with the people saying we should wait. We have Norman Powell and Caboclo up for extension next year and it would behoove us to find out exactly what we have in them prior to that. Wright hits restricted free agency in 2019.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X