No announcement yet.

We're going to lose Norm next summer in RFA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we are 90% chance we keep Norm but some other team might "Otto Porter" us.

Comment

Man there'd always something. You guys always finds something to whine about.

No, we're not going to lose Powell next offseason.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        Man there'd always something. You guys always finds something to whine about.

No, we're not going to lose Powell next offseason.
        Now I feel better, thanks for clearig that up TRex.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
          4/40
          ya somewhere in that range, 4/46

That would be like him making his 1.5 this year and then getting a contract for 3 years/15m a year.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
            I think we are 90% chance we keep Norm but some other team might "Otto Porter" us.
            Exactly. I think Norm and his agent knows he'd get a bigger payday by not signing an extension this summer. I mean Caldwell-Pope got $18M for a season (arguably a premium rate for a one year deal of course), but still...Norm has the same potential. He just plays half as many minutes as KCP does. I don't think that means we can sign him for half as much, but I agree it would be nice.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
              Exactly. I think Norm and his agent knows he'd get a bigger payday by not signing an extension this summer. I mean Caldwell-Pope got $18M for a season (arguably a premium rate for a one year deal of course), but still...Norm has the same potential. He just plays half as many minutes as KCP does. I don't think that means we can sign him for half as much, but I agree it would be nice.
              Well, they are in an interesting position. There won't be as many teams with cap room next summer, especially if the cap stays flat as expected. So, if a team really likes him, he could well get a big payday over long term. Or, he could easily not, and have to settle for a short term deal, probably not of the value of KCP's deal. Nevermind what can happen with valuation if he were to get injured this year.

The 4/40M the Raptors can offer is a good offer. Powell can certainly bet on himself, and if he starts as he should, he could be a target for teams (there's just a lot of targets in next summer's FA class). But the 20M+ deals for role players days are probably mostly gone. The cap is too tight now with all those silly 2016 deals floating around, and we're already seeing a squeeze on FA's this summer. Free agency will probably get silly again as a whole around the time those 2016 deals start expiring, especially if the cap returns to normal growth rate. But that will be a few years yet.

Ultimately, whether it is for 10M or 15M per year, I expect Powell here long term. Ideally he signs this summer, just to get it locked in (there is always the slim chance some nutty team like the Knicks makes a silly offer). Heck, if he wants to sign a short term deal, say a 2+1 PO at 10M per, I'd bet the Raptors are OK with that. It puts him opting out at the end of that 3-year window, and the Raps can choose to pony up a bigger salary if they so choose with so many other salaries coming off the books, and can pitch Powell on being a centrepiece if that's the direction they are going.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, just takes one idiot GM. It will be interesting to see how his numbers end up when/if he does get 25+ minutes consistently.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, just takes one idiot GM. It will be interesting to see how his numbers end up when/if he does get 25+ minutes consistently.
                  MU has a history of signing these guys up early though, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get it done on a very reasonable deal.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    MU has a history of signing these guys up early though, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get it done on a very reasonable deal.
                    Now that I thought of it above, that 2+1 deal makes great sense for Powell. Gives him a decent salary through the current window, with the security of the player option year, and then the ability to earn a big paycheck right when the Raptors look to be freeing up a lot of money. Plus he hits FA in a year where all those 4-year insanity deals from 2016 finally run out and the league should have some cap to spend.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                      Now that I thought of it above, that 2+1 deal makes great sense for Powell. Gives him a decent salary through the current window, with the security of the player option year, and then the ability to earn a big paycheck right when the Raptors look to be freeing up a lot of money. Plus he hits FA in a year where all those 4-year insanity deals from 2016 finally run out and the league should have some cap to spend.
                      That does sound good from his perspective. If he's projecting himself to develop into a starter (and he should be), then something in the neighbourhood of 4/40 is going to be low at the back end of that deal. Great deal for the team, but a 2+1 would make more sense for him.

I don't know how much guys factor this in, but there's also age. He's 24, 2 years takes him to 26, he could sign a 4 year to 30, then sign one more peak deal while still in his prime. That raises the earnings potential vs. 4 years now, taking him to 28, and only giving him one more crack at a contract before being on the wrong side of 30.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Powells contract depends on his play this year. If he steps up as a leading guy in the rotation, whether it be as a 6th man or a lock down defensive starter who scores some, he could get some crazy max offer sheet from a Brooklyn or Sacramento. Or he could make as low as 5 per year just to get another shot. As much as we love powell, he's far from established yet. His career could still easily go in many different directions. The only difference is it looks like he'll finally be a consistent part of the plan for the first time.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Powells contract depends on his play this year. If he steps up as a leading guy in the rotation, whether it be as a 6th man or a lock down defensive starter who scores some, he could get some crazy max offer sheet from a Brooklyn or Sacramento. Or he could make as low as 5 per year just to get another shot. As much as we love powell, he's far from established yet. His career could still easily go in many different directions. The only difference is it looks like he'll finally be a consistent part of the plan for the first time.
                          i tend to agree with you Norms minutes came primarily to start early on when DC was not playing two games in a row then he would start and play well but was pressing off the bench and even played him his way out of the rotation at times. If his play merits a prime rotational player then his value for next summer will be based on that. We lost two wings off last years roster so he should get a great opportunity going into a contract year.

Comment

Does anyone know anything about what kind of insurance NBA players can take out on their future potential earnings? Say Norm has an offer of $40 million/4 years on the table right now - can he decline it, but take out an insurance policy to get it all back in case, God forbid, he suffers a terrible injury?
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              Does anyone know anything about what kind of insurance NBA players can take out on their future potential earnings? Say Norm has an offer of $40 million/4 years on the table right now - can he decline it, but take out an insurance policy to get it all back in case, God forbid, he suffers a terrible injury?
                              Um no..you either take an offer or you leave it on the table. Or else everybody in the league would do the thing you're proposing
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Um no..you either take an offer or you leave it on the table. Or else everybody in the league would do the thing you're proposing
                                There has to be some kind of insurance that you can take out, that will give you some percentage of potential earnings back.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X