Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're going to lose Norm next summer in RFA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    There has to be some kind of insurance that you can take out, that will give you some percentage of potential earnings back.
    In theory there should be. But I imagine it would be incredibly expensive.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • #47
      There have been a couple of entertainment examples, Mariah Carey reportedly insured her voice and legs for $70m, but I can't imagine the math would ever work with a professional athlete. The chance of injury is probably far too high and the coverage would cost too much.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

      Comment


      • #48
        JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        There has to be some kind of insurance that you can take out, that will give you some percentage of potential earnings back.
        How often do NBA players not get to a 2nd contract because of injury? VERY small percentage. And once you get that contract, you're theoretically getting enough money that can last your whole life. Worst case scenario your FIRST contract brings you like 3 million dollars, then provided you stay in the league, which is a far bigger concern than a career ending injury, you're usually rewarded with a multi year deal to make you wealthy. To dribble a basketball.

        I'm sorry, I just can't come around to the idea of feeling sorry for the risk these guys take
        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

        Comment


        • #49
          KeonClark wrote: View Post
          How often do NBA players not get to a 2nd contract because of injury? VERY small percentage. And once you get that contract, you're theoretically getting enough money that can last your whole life. Worst case scenario your FIRST contract brings you like 3 million dollars, then provided you stay in the league, which is a far bigger concern than a career ending injury, you're usually rewarded with a multi year deal to make you wealthy. To dribble a basketball.

          I'm sorry, I just can't come around to the idea of feeling sorry for the risk these guys take
          He isn't asking you to feel sorry for them he's just wondering if they can take out insurance.

          If you don't like how much money players make the best move would be to stop watching and get as many people as you can to stop watching too. The players get a certain percentage of BRI, as that revenue grows they will continue to get paid more and more. That's the reality. The are elites in a form of extremely high-demand entertainment.

          I find it funny the people that have such an issue with how much money the players make but take no issue with ownership who make on the order of 10-100 times the average player and often cheap out like the Raptors ownership are doing and won't pay luxury tax to make a better team.

          Comment


          • #50
            JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            There has to be some kind of insurance that you can take out, that will give you some percentage of potential earnings back.
            A career-ending injury can be devastating to an athlete. Sutton Special Risk is a leading provider of Professional and Amateur Sports insurance protection with over 35 years’ experience. Our underwriting expertise, reputation for competitive rates, and a commitment to outstanding service enables us to best respond to the unique insurance needs of athletes.

            Our specialty products for the sports world focus on the following financial exposures:
            Personal coverage purchased by athletes protects their future income from a career-ending injury or illness
            Team purchased coverage to protect their contractual obligation to the individual players.
            Team purchased coverage to respond to the exposure of a catastrophic accident associated with team travel.
            http://www.suttonspecialrisk.com/pro...ro_sports.html

            Not trying to advertise for this place just came across it while googling, I'm sure there are others.

            Comment


            • #51
              Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
              He isn't asking you to feel sorry for them he's just wondering if they can take out insurance.

              If you don't like how much money players make the best move would be to stop watching and get as many people as you can to stop watching too. The players get a certain percentage of BRI, as that revenue grows they will continue to get paid more and more. That's the reality. The are elites in a form of extremely high-demand entertainment.

              I find it funny the people that have such an issue with how much money the players make but take no issue with ownership who make on the order of 10-100 times the average player and often cheap out like the Raptors ownership are doing and won't pay luxury tax to make a better team.
              I'm not worried about how much they make, I understand the business and the revenue just fine, and I'm certainly not taking the side of the owners. Simply stating that if they are no longer able to do their job to its requirements, they have to find another means of obtaining income, just like the rest of society. Seems like a fair enough trade off.
              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

              Comment


              • #52
                KeonClark wrote: View Post
                How often do NBA players not get to a 2nd contract because of injury? VERY small percentage. And once you get that contract, you're theoretically getting enough money that can last your whole life. Worst case scenario your FIRST contract brings you like 3 million dollars, then provided you stay in the league, which is a far bigger concern than a career ending injury, you're usually rewarded with a multi year deal to make you wealthy. To dribble a basketball.

                I'm sorry, I just can't come around to the idea of feeling sorry for the risk these guys take
                Lol dude, when did anyone mention feeling sorry for anyone? I thought this would be clear, but I'll spell it out - I brought this up because I was curious about factors that might be mitigating Norm's decision to either sign a less lucrative extension now, or wait until next off season when he could really cash in. One would obviously be the degree to which he could be insured throughout this season. He hasn't made that much money yet. If
                getting insurance this season isn't actually an option, if I was him, I'd be thinking hard about getting as much as I could right now. Valanciunas made that move a few years ago, and he was coming off a rookie contract that paid him way more.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

                Comment


                • #53
                  As far as team owners (publicly owned corporations) not taking their teams deep into tax territory, directors of companies have a responsibility to shareholders to maximize revenue. If they neglect this, they can be personally sued for negligence. They wouldn't just lose their jobs but would also face the risk of financial penalties.

                  Some billionaire who has privately purchased a team can do what they want. But a publicly owned company cannot piss away other peoples money without some assurance it is being spent with a reasonable chance of earning back at least the full investment. At the higher levels of the luxury tax rate, the odds of that happening go down very quickl.
                  Last edited by Puffer; Sat Jul 15th, 2017, 12:11 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    How many teams would have space next year to steal Norm away? This year Porter was the only RFA that got an offer sheet, unless I'm missing someone. Noel, Mirotic, JaMychal and Plumlee are all still waiting around, with no suitors.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      how many teams would have space next year to steal norm away? This year porter was the only rfa that got an offer sheet, unless i'm missing someone. Noel, mirotic, jamychal and plumlee are all still waiting around, with no suitors.
                      thj

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        That THJ contract was so stupid and even worse, gives agents leverage. Stupid Knicks.
                        @sweatpantsjer

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                          http://www.suttonspecialrisk.com/pro...ro_sports.html

                          Not trying to advertise for this place just came across it while googling, I'm sure there are others.
                          Yeah there's absolutely insurance available. I'm guessing it's played a role in all the 1+1 contracts we've seen of late.
                          It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            He averaged like 14/4/2 on a great TS% when he started and I think that, along with his play in the Bucks series, and the growth of our backup bigs is the single biggest reason Valanciunas is being shopped. People heard those rumors at the draft about us wanting to move a first plus JV to get out of his deal but later moved Carroll and Cory instead. The JV move was to move up higher in the draft and save space if it could be possible. It wasn't. Masai wanted Anunoby and thought he'd go earlier. He ended up getting him later anyway. The Raptors value JV but because of the strength of the backup bigs and the emergence of Powell... JV is the odd man out.

                            So, JV will likely be moved within the next 12 months to give Powell a 13 million dollar deal. Powell is the Raptors version of Avery Bradley. But one who is also willing to play some SF and guard bigger players. They won't give that up easily. Not in an era of the NBA that's shifted out to the perimeter. Norm can shoot the 3, attack, and guard multiple positions. Masai knows what he has in Powell. Casey does too. It's why he was there with Casey and Lowry in the summer.
                            Last edited by Double Helix; Tue Aug 15th, 2017, 02:41 PM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X