We're going to lose Norm next summer in RFA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're going to lose Norm next summer in RFA

He's a 2-way player, those are highly valued nowadays, and will still be young. Going to get a huge offer sheet somewhere, and if this team is already trying to cut costs NOW when he's on a tiny deal, I can easily see them deciding not to match on him with Lowry, Ibaka and DeMar making a combined $90M on their own.

Nah. They'll move one big contract this summer to duck the tax and another next summer to make room for Norm.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

we may do what we did with t-ross and just sign him when the season starts. Offer him like 10-11. Thats probably part of the reason why we are trying to trade JV and Joseph so we don't have to wait until Carrols money comes off the books.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        we may do what we did with t-ross and just sign him when the season starts. Offer him like 10-11. Thats probably part of the reason why we are trying to trade JV and Joseph so we don't have to wait until Carrols money comes off the books.
        Yeah, if he'll take a 4/40 contract extension (the most we can offer) that would be great, though we wouldn't be forced to get it done before the season like with Ross. But we don't need cap room or to shed salaries to offer that to him. They will want to shed some money this year to help with the tax and free up the full MLE to spend on PF help (so they'll try to move CoJo and one of JV/DC). Then next year the other one of JV/DC will probably be moved (easier with a shorter contract) to free up more tax flexibility to absorb either Powell's extension or his new contract.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          Yeah, if he'll take a 4/40 contract extension (the most we can offer) that would be great, though we wouldn't be forced to get it done before the season like with Ross. But we don't need cap room or to shed salaries to offer that to him. They will want to shed some money this year to help with the tax and free up the full MLE to spend on PF help (so they'll try to move CoJo and one of JV/DC). Then next year the other one of JV/DC will probably be moved (easier with a shorter contract) to free up more tax flexibility to absorb either Powell's extension or his new contract.
          Good point. I don't see them trading him either. He will be part of our future I think.

Comment

Yeah.. Norm is a pretty big worry. I don't know if we lose him, since Raptors can match any deal. But there will be teams like Brooklyn that will probably give him a max deal.. or a crazy poison pill contract that makes it hard to match.

Hope he gets locked up as soon as he can.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Yeah.. Norm is a pretty big worry. I don't know if we lose him, since Raptors can match any deal. But there will be teams like Brooklyn that will probably give him a max deal.. or a crazy poison pill contract that makes it hard to match.

Hope he gets locked up as soon as he can.
              He can't be offered a poison pill contract.

But yes, ideally he gets extended ASAP. I don't know that he's any sort of given for a max offer though. $15M per year, give or take, is where I'm pegging him for now. Hard to say for sure until we see this coming season, of course.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                He can't be offered a poison pill contract.

But yes, ideally he gets extended ASAP. I don't know that he's any sort of given for a max offer though. $15M per year, give or take, is where I'm pegging him for now. Hard to say for sure until we see this coming season, of course.
                i fail to see what Powell has done to warrant a $15M per year offer, especially considering that cap space will be a bit sparse next summer as far as i know.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                  i fail to see what Powell has done to warrant a $15M per year offer, especially considering that cap space will be a bit sparse next summer as far as i know.
                  There will still be a few teams with silly money to throw around that top free agents will likely not go to. In any case, the most they can offer until next July is $10M per year, and it would be great if they could lock him into that.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think part of the reason they're trying to clear cap is for norms deal

Comment

Norm is DD's replacement he ain't going anywhere. Once debo takes a step back he's starting, there's no way we let him go

Comment

Doubt it.

Comment

No, we're not?

Comment

I don't think Norm is gone.

I think Masai will make trades that allow Norm to come back or trade away Norm for valuable assets coming back. Masai's not just going to let Powell walk. He's not stupid.
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                              He's young, with tons of athleticism, is solid on both ends of the court, and is coachable. He's a diamond in the rough. We'll be paying for "potential", much like DeRozan's first extension.

Norm probably should be starting over Carroll this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X