Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The OPTIMISTIC Everything 2017 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    I disagree. We spent a pick that high on him for a reason. He's better at recycling and passing the ball than Jonas, can set good screens and I think he will also be much better defensively. He's a better fit with the rest of the starters.

    I'd like to avoid having DeMar/Kyle/JV all on the floor at the same time as much as possible.
    Yeah, but 12-15 MPG as I have them lined up for on the court together is not exactly a lot in the grand scheme of things, and saves Poeltl from any issues he might have if starting, gives him a year as a bench player with consistent minutes rather than jumping straight from his half-season of sometimes being the backup to starting.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post
      Yeah, but 12-15 MPG as I have them lined up for on the court together is not exactly a lot in the grand scheme of things, and saves Poeltl from any issues he might have if starting, gives him a year as a bench player with consistent minutes rather than jumping straight from his half-season of sometimes being the backup to starting.
      Also want to point out that we really should not be playing Siakam-Poeltl together in the frontcourt at all, another reason for this move. Neither is a proven floor spacer at the NBA level. At least with JV next to Siakam, JV can step out to 16-23 feet with reliability, opening up the floor.

      I don't think you're realizing just how little spacing there is going to be in like a Wright/DeMar/Powell/Siakam/Poeltl bench unit for example. You can clog the paint on those bigs and Wright/DeMar cannot punish the opposition from outside. You might say we're never going to see that lineup, but the reality is we likely will with JV starting. Even if you slot in Miles for Powell it's still a big problem offensively.

      Comment


      • Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        Also want to point out that we really should not be playing Siakam-Poeltl together in the frontcourt at all, another reason for this move. Neither is a proven floor spacer at the NBA level. At least with JV next to Siakam, JV can step out to 16-23 feet with reliability, opening up the floor.

        I don't think you're realizing just how little spacing there is going to be in like a Wright/DeMar/Powell/Siakam/Poeltl bench unit for example. You can clog the paint on those bigs and Wright/DeMar cannot punish the opposition from outside. You might say we're never going to see that lineup, but the reality is we likely will with JV starting. Even if you slot in Miles for Powell it's still a big problem offensively.
        I've got Poeltl/Siakam as the frontcourt for the DD+bench unit with Miles on the wing, with Ibaka and Poeltl sharing the frontcourt for transitional lineups, and JV/Siakam as the frontcourt for the Lowry+bench unit.

        I do think Siakam should be able to spread the floor a bit. If not, the result will probably be similar to the disaster that was the JV/Siakam frontcourt last season. We're kind of betting on it unless we run Miles at the 4 a lot more than expected.

        As someone who spent all of the last two seasons talking incessantly about spacing in lineups, I assure you I have considered the subject.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          Lowry/Wright/VanVleet
          DeRozan/Powell
          Miles/Anonuby/Caboclo
          Ibaka/Siakam
          Valanciunas/Poeltl/Nogueira

          Love this squad!! What's going to be our next move? Can we still sign a player that can be on the 12 men? Tony Allen would be amazing, as of Afflalo or Ilyasova! If not, the team is pretty cool as it is!
          ilyasova would be great, maybe add Thabo too if we can

          Comment


          • JV is really getting shit on this offseason. Going into his 6th season playing an average of 26mins a game and he's averaging an efficient double double. His D needs improvement but it's possible he can improve. I hope he come back with a vengeance.

            Comment


            • DanH wrote: View Post
              I've got Poeltl/Siakam as the frontcourt for the DD+bench unit with Miles on the wing, with Ibaka and Poeltl sharing the frontcourt for transitional lineups, and JV/Siakam as the frontcourt for the Lowry+bench unit.

              I do think Siakam should be able to spread the floor a bit. If not, the result will probably be similar to the disaster that was the JV/Siakam frontcourt last season. We're kind of betting on it unless we run Miles at the 4 a lot more than expected.

              As someone who spent all of the last two seasons talking incessantly about spacing in lineups, I assure you I have considered the subject.
              Yet you seem to insist upon starting JV and aren't even considering the reasons why we shouldn't. It would help his game AND the team.

              Comment


              • saints91 wrote: View Post
                JV is really getting shit on this offseason. Going into his 6th season playing an average of 26mins a game and he's averaging an efficient double double. His D needs improvement but it's possible he can improve. I hope he come back with a vengeance.
                How is saying someone should come off the bench shitting on them? Was Kerr shitting on Iguodala, when he asked him to come off the bench so he could start Barnes? No, he was making a decision he thought was best for the team.

                I don't get this narrow-minded thinking. I'd argue JV would have more opportunity to actually shine coming off the bench than starting, and still play the same amount of minutes. Right now in the starting unit there are 3 others guys with 20%+ usage who combine for nearly 80% usage as a threesome. There's only so many touches in that group. Meanwhile if he plays more with the bench, he's out there with inexperienced guys like Powell and Wright more who will be looking for him as a leader and outlet.

                It's not about shitting on JV it's about looking at ways to do something different to help the team. I have no interest in trashing our players.

                Comment


                • Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                  Yet you seem to insist upon starting JV and aren't even considering the reasons why we shouldn't. It would help his game AND the team.
                  Yeah, except I am considering, and deciding it would not be to the team's benefit. Just because I am capable of thinking before typing, and therefore don't type out my every thought, doesn't mean I'm not thinking about this stuff.

                  I fully believe Poeltl is not ready to be a full time starter and would benefit from consistent minutes primarily against bench players, though I am pegging him for a few transitional lineups where he'll see short spurts of more difficult competition. I'm putting him in the DD bench unit where he succeeded so much in a small sample last year right out of the gate, hopefully he can help that lineup be a positive impact lineup this year.

                  I also think JV playing a good chunk of his minutes against bench units (not all, so we can shield Poeltl somewhat) would benefit the bench unit, which will need an offensive punch with Powell and Pat gone from there, and also benefit JV, letting him play more with Lowry and more against bench units where the defence doesn't have to be on a string as much, and in theory he can do some real damage on the boards (the one area where the bench units tended to struggle last season).

                  Ibaka playing some C at the end of the game saves Poeltl from being thrown into that fire too early, and stops JV from having to play those minutes unless it's an ideal matchup, so those minutes are taken care of.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • I thought Ibaka is basically our starting C now, no? It sure reads that way from all the media tea leaves.
                    It’s Ogugua season. Time to gugua.

                    Comment


                    • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      I thought Ibaka is basically our starting C now, no? It sure reads that way from all the media tea leaves.
                      Media tea leaves are worth about as much as regular tea leaves.

                      But it's possible. No way to know for certain until they suit up for game 1. But based on the roster construction, it doesn't look like they have much of a plan at PF beyond Ibaka, which would preclude him from too many C minutes.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

                      Comment


                      • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        I thought Ibaka is basically our starting C now, no? It sure reads that way from all the media tea leaves.
                        This is how view the situation.

                        - If Jonas stays, Jonas starts at 5
                        - if Jonas gets traded, Ibaka starts at 5

                        Don't know if I like the idea of Jonas off the bench. Unless of course, he's actually given the ball in bench minutes.

                        Comment


                        • saints91 wrote: View Post
                          JV is really getting shit on this offseason. Going into his 6th season playing an average of 26mins a game and he's averaging an efficient double double. His D needs improvement but it's possible he can improve. I hope he come back with a vengeance.
                          If he doesn't get traded I could see him getting even less minutes this year. Remember we didn't have Ibaka for the whole season. I think Ibaka will play even more minutes at Center this year. Also Yak/Pskills are going to get more minutes this year.

                          Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                          @Chr1st1anL

                          Comment


                          • If anything they should try to give him a bigger role, sink or swim. If they really intend on moving him, showcasing him would be the way to go, you don't lessen the minutes and bring down his value any lower.

                            Comment


                            • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              I thought Ibaka is basically our starting C now, no? It sure reads that way from all the media tea leaves.
                              Mainstream basketball media in Toronto knows less than us..and I'm not really exaggerating. It's really quite a pathetic group lol
                              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                              Comment


                              • saints91 wrote: View Post
                                If anything they should try to give him a bigger role, sink or swim. If they really intend on moving him, showcasing him would be the way to go, you don't lessen the minutes and bring down his value any lower.
                                If you're Christian you lock JV up and throw away the key. Or possibly get a pack of gatorade back in a trade. Just get him out of christians friggin sight before he pukes
                                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X