Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The OPTIMISTIC Everything 2017 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ahhhh, I like this thread. I'm getting really tired of the pessimism on this site. I had to turn off the Podcast this morning.
    I think our young talent and their development is being completely overlooked. Delon, VV, Norm and Poeltl are going to give quality minutes. Yes they have things to work on but overall they are going to be fun to watch.

    OG, Pascal, and Bruno will be in and out of the Gleague, so the 905 will be a fun watch too. I have high hopes for all 3 of those guys. I think Bruno will turn the corner this year.

    Comment


    • We kinda get the best of both worlds this year. Youth movement and being a competitive franchise.

      I think being in a winning system goes a long way for developing players. They'll be creating good habits and playing to their strengths.

      Comment


      • saints91 wrote: View Post
        Ahhhh, I like this thread. I'm getting really tired of the pessimism on this site. I had to turn off the Podcast this morning.
        I think our young talent and their development is being completely overlooked. Delon, VV, Norm and Poeltl are going to give quality minutes. Yes they have things to work on but overall they are going to be fun to watch.

        OG, Pascal, and Bruno will be in and out of the Gleague, so the 905 will be a fun watch too. I have high hopes for all 3 of those guys. I think Bruno will turn the corner this year.
        Do we need an everything pessimistic thread? I'd be interested to see the page count by November. The pessimists are already at a 6 page handicap. I like the odds.

        I like OG. That's all I have to say to you fellows atm.

        Comment


        • saints91 wrote: View Post
          Ahhhh, I like this thread. I'm getting really tired of the pessimism on this site. I had to turn off the Podcast this morning.
          I think our young talent and their development is being completely overlooked. Delon, VV, Norm and Poeltl are going to give quality minutes. Yes they have things to work on but overall they are going to be fun to watch.

          OG, Pascal, and Bruno will be in and out of the Gleague, so the 905 will be a fun watch too. I have high hopes for all 3 of those guys. I think Bruno will turn the corner this year.
          This is year four for Bruno...It's been a long and patient wait. FWIW, this year for better or worse, I believe Bruno will see more than garbage time minutes to see if this lab experiment has any chance of succeeding,

          As currently constructed only slots 1 through 5 are vets. Lowry, Derozan, Ibalka, Miles and JV.
          Slot six starts with Powell and in no particular order come the next wave of young talent in Wright, Freddy VW, Pascal, Jacob, Bruno, OG and Bebe.

          The kids are going to play and they will contribute. Perhaps this is the great culture reset? A lot of young to very young guys busting their ass for readily available PT and dying to make good on it. Lots of enthusiasm. Raps have more speed that will see the floor than last years addition. Raps have a tall PG in Wright that augers well on defense. Siakam looks like he can hit jumpers now, possibly even at 3 point range. Poeltl is a year older and is likely stronger. His BB IQ is good and he is getting man strength to match. OG is Justice Winslow without the hype. He could play some but the Raps like they always do will let him gain reps and confidence with the big team and the G league.

          Casey though he prefers veterans as all coaches do, will adjust to the new makeup. He has to.
          As will offensive coordinator Nick Nurse who now has 3 viable 3 point shooters in Lowry, Miles and Powell. One more at SF or PF wouldn't hurt. Hell maybe Demar finds the range from 3 to add to his extensive bag of offensive tools.

          Ujiri has done what he said he would do yet again. Continuity and development.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jul 10, 2017, 04:38 PM.
          And with the 4th overall pick the Toronto Raptors select..... Scottie Barnes.

          Comment


          • I sincerely hope Miles doesn't start over Powell.

            Comment


            • saints91 wrote: View Post
              Ahhhh, I like this thread. I'm getting really tired of the pessimism on this site. I had to turn off the Podcast this morning.
              I think our young talent and their development is being completely overlooked. Delon, VV, Norm and Poeltl are going to give quality minutes. Yes they have things to work on but overall they are going to be fun to watch.

              OG, Pascal, and Bruno will be in and out of the Gleague, so the 905 will be a fun watch too. I have high hopes for all 3 of those guys. I think Bruno will turn the corner this year.

              I agree. At least a couple of these guys are going to have to step up to be reliable rotation players, which seems like a reasonable expectation at this point. Strategic drafting + a development process is exactly for this type of offseason - you can lose more expensive vet role players like Tucker, Patterson, and CoJo, and you have cheaper, younger talent ready to step in. Ideally this is a regular offseason process in the future.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

              Comment


              • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I sincerely hope Miles doesn't start over Powell.
                We will find out in 100 days.

                FWIW

                I see both Miles and JV coming in off the bench as first wing and big.
                And with the 4th overall pick the Toronto Raptors select..... Scottie Barnes.

                Comment


                • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  We will find out in 100 days.

                  FWIW

                  I see both Miles and JV coming in off the bench as first wing and big.
                  That would be shocking, IMO. Who starts at PF, Siakam?
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    We will find out in 100 days.

                    FWIW

                    I see both Miles and JV coming in off the bench as first wing and big.
                    DanH wrote: View Post
                    That would be shocking, IMO. Who starts at PF, Siakam?
                    Yeah at this point the starting forwards would have to be JV/Ibaka, with Poeltl/Siakam being the first two off the bench.

                    If you start Ibaka/Siakam, you have three C's sitting on the bench and a hole at backup PF.

                    I'm hoping for one more offseason trade.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                    Comment


                    • S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Yeah at this point the starting forwards would have to be JV/Ibaka, with Poeltl/Siakam being the first two off the bench.

                      If you start Ibaka/Siakam, you have three C's sitting on the bench and a hole at backup PF.

                      I'm hoping for one more offseason trade.
                      I agree with what you are saying.

                      One question though.

                      What is stopping Poeltl from being able to play in the 4 slot?

                      Comment


                      • c-troop wrote: View Post
                        I agree with what you are saying.

                        One question though.

                        What is stopping Poeltl from being able to play in the 4 slot?
                        I'm guessing it's his lack of shooting range.

                        Comment


                        • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I sincerely hope Miles doesn't start over Powell.
                          Miles may need to start out of necessity. With Powell starting, it would only be Lowry and Ibaka on the starting unit as legit 3pt threats. unless JV is back next season as the starting 5, I'm not sure how having Ibaka spreading out the floor would effect our rebounding.

                          Plus, what would Powell's role be in the starting line up? Doesn't really spread the floor out, and would be the last option on offence I think. Hopefully he is working on his 3pt shooting.

                          Comment


                          • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Miles may need to start out of necessity. With Powell starting, it would only be Lowry and Ibaka on the starting unit as legit 3pt threats. unless JV is back next season as the starting 5, I'm not sure how having Ibaka spreading out the floor would effect our rebounding.

                            Plus, what would Powell's role be in the starting line up? Doesn't really spread the floor out, and would be the last option on offence I think. Hopefully he is working on his 3pt shooting.
                            I think we're over-thinking. I just want to see our 5 best players start the game. The minor strategic tweaks can be sorted out accordingly. Besides, Powell showed that he can be an outside threat too.

                            Powell's role would be to run the lanes hard, push the ball in transition, and create offense when the defense bottles up Lowry and DeRozan.

                            Comment


                            • c-troop wrote: View Post
                              I agree with what you are saying.

                              One question though.

                              What is stopping Poeltl from being able to play in the 4 slot?
                              He could guard there. Functionally the team probably wants more shooting in that spot than he can give.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment


                              • DanH wrote: View Post
                                He could guard there. Functionally the team probably wants more shooting in that spot than he can give.
                                thats why I'm excited to see Siakam's range improving. He can be starting material if he extends his range and, of course, improves his defensive awareness. That motor and ability to run the floor and challenge for boards could be huge for the starting unit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X