Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evolution of the Game. Trends and How It Relates to Raptors and How To Stay Ahead of the Curve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Mess wrote: View Post
    Meh...the greatest players don't fit into molds. In any era would Barkley be a shooting guard?
    Barkley would be Draymond Green on steroids. Power Forward/Small Ball C
    All man. All amazing.

    Comment


    • #17
      If Barkley played today, he'd be exactly what Draymond Green is like MixxAOR said, only a more solid rebounder... and the scary thing is that people would've helped him more with his 3 point shot, thus making it better & probably bringing up his overall shooting percentage.

      The game has changed, but the game itself has stayed the same since a bit after the NBA/ABA merger, the one big change being the 3 point line in 1980 & then the removal of hand checking.

      For example.... say I wanted to build a solid squad of players from the 90's & play them today. At Point, I could easily take a guy like Mark Price & have him play in today's system just fine. TBH, he'd probably be almost exactly what Steve Nash was, only better on D. Gary Payton is another great option here due to how well he played defense... or I could go off the board and go with Kevin Johnson, whose seriously massively underrated. He's that explosive PG people love to see & he was a nifty passer. He's essentially the Beta Build for guys like Derrick Rose (Prime D-Rose that is) & Russell Westbrook.

      I could take a look at the other positions for underrated studs, but I think I've proven my point enough.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

      Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

      Comment


      • #18
        Would you be able to play Dennis Rodman in today's game? Or would he hurt the spacing and players would play off of him ala Tony Allen? Or would Rodman have to play small ball C as well?
        All man. All amazing.

        Comment


        • #19
          MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Would you be able to play Dennis Rodman in today's game? Or would he hurt the spacing and players would play off of him ala Tony Allen? Or would Rodman have to play small ball C as well?
          Interesting question. Guys played off Rodman back then too, but I assume that's easier to fix with a motion system like the triangle. If I remember correctly, Rodman was a decent passer, so that helps.

          IMO, if you have an ELITE skill (in this case, rebounding), a half-decent coach should be able to take advantage of said skill.

          Comment


          • #20
            Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Interesting question. Guys played off Rodman back then too, but I assume that's easier to fix with a motion system like the triangle. If I remember correctly, Rodman was a decent passer, so that helps.

            IMO, if you have an ELITE skill (in this case, rebounding), a half-decent coach should be able to take advantage of said skill.
            Probably Rich man's Tristan Thompson?
            All man. All amazing.

            Comment


            • #21
              MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              Would you be able to play Dennis Rodman in today's game? Or would he hurt the spacing and players would play off of him ala Tony Allen? Or would Rodman have to play small ball C as well?
              Rodman would probably be best as a small ball C, like you suggested. He was always good at setting screens & would be best as a small Deandre Jordan, getting his points off easy buckets and offensive boards. He was always a tough defender, and that alone would be scary to think about.
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

              Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

              Comment


              • #22
                Cody73 wrote: View Post
                Rodman would probably be best as a small ball C, like you suggested. He was always good at setting screens & would be best as a small Deandre Jordan, getting his points off easy buckets and offensive boards. He was always a tough defender, and that alone would be scary to think about.
                Don't forget that Rodman actually played SF on the championship 'bad boys' Pistons teams. He could defend any position, inside or outside, and would out-rebound an entire small-ball lineup.

                Looking back on the Bulls team, not only did they implement the triangle offense, they also had star players that could play and defend multiple positions. Jordan was a SG/PG but had the size to play SF in smaller lineups. Pippen (guard/forward) and Rodman (wing/forward/center) could both essentially play 4 positions at both ends.
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 21st, 2017, 03:33 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  MixxAOR wrote: View Post


                  When thinking about old school players it reminded me what Isiah Thomas said about Magic Johnson. In today's game he would be a centre and not a point guard. At 28:25
                  Magic did play Center though, even back then. It's basically what won him Finals MVP as a Rook.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    Don't forget that Rodman actually played SF on the championship 'bad boys' Pistons teams. He could defend any position, inside or outside, and would out-rebound an entire small-ball lineup.

                    Looking back on the Bulls team, not only did they implement the triangle offense, they also had star players that could play and defend multiple positions. Jordan was a SG/PG but had the size to play SF in smaller lineups. Pippen (guard/forward) and Rodman (wing/forward/center) could both essentially play 4 positions at both ends.
                    Don't forget about Kukoc, who was 6'11 and could arguably play both SF & PF himself. Given his ability to stretch the floor, he was also a great fit for those Bulls teams.... heck, even Steve Kerr would be a great PG in today's NBA.
                    Axel wrote:
                    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

                    Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Ok I should have actually heard what Isiah Thomas had to say before I made my Barkley comment. I assumed it was just cause of his height, which would have been stupid reasoning, but I also don't buy Isiah's nonsense reasons - about the rules changing and Magic not being able to run the pick and roll. I'm sure Magic fucking Johnson could figure it out. And you'd let him run the break the exact same way. Plus Magic's last 3 seasons were the only seasons where he averaged more than one 3-point attempt a game and he hit 34%. His FT was 85% for his career. In today's era I'm sure he'd get to above average 3P%. Oh but you'd label him a point forward...there's no difference in what he would actually do on the court. Anyway, carry on.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        As long as GSW keeps winning nothing will change. Positionless basketball is here to stay. Bigs aren't dying. Slower footed/laterally challenged bigs will rarely play more than 25+ minutes or close out games.

                        Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                        @Chr1st1anL

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          As long as GSW keeps winning nothing will change. Positionless basketball is here to stay. Bigs aren't dying. Slower footed/laterally challenged bigs will rarely play more than 25+ minutes or close out games.

                          Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                          The question is how do you beat it? how do you beat switching defense?
                          All man. All amazing.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            The question is how do you beat it? how do you beat switching defense?
                            You don't. You match guys on both sides of the floor & hope that your guys beat theirs. That's why we play the game. For example... if we want to go small & match GS right now, here's what I'd roll with:

                            Lowry (on Curry)
                            Powell (on Thompson)
                            DeRozan (on Iggy)
                            Miles (on Green)
                            Ibaka (on Durant)


                            Do I think this lineup could beat GS? IDK.... I've never seen it play. But it's definitely a scary lineup in it's own right & has enough moving pieces if we played strong D for it to work.
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

                            Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              All man. All amazing.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                The question is how do you beat it? how do you beat switching defense?
                                From the link I posted above:

                                A common way to beat a switch is to slip the screen, meaning that the screener comes up like he’s going to set a screen but then never does. Instead he runs out of it early, either rolling to the rim or popping for a jumper. The Warriors do this often as well:
                                if there is no screen set, it’s ambiguous whether the defenders should switch or not. Both defenders have to be on the same page to avoid a major breakdown.

                                Which illustrates a general point: switching requires a team to have great communication. It’s very easy to have a breakdown when switching, and so each switch puts pressure on the defenders to be on the same page. By slipping out or setting ambiguous screens an offense can make it more likely the defense gets confused and makes a mistake.

                                And really that’s the biggest way Golden State makes opponents pay for switching: they keep moving and keep screening and keep running actions that put so much pressure on the defense that eventually that defense is likely to crack. The Spurs are one of the best at not falling victim to this, and yet we see it even with them — it’s just that hard to be right all the time:
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X