Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our lack of a 3/big-wing defender is a serious problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    OG Anunoby is not going to play in his rookie year. I'm not even sure if he's not a bust yet.

Raptors know about their weaknesses. They can't do anything about it though. That's why they signed Malcolm Miller and Alfonzo McKinnie. Those 2 and Bruno is their only hope on having a large 3 to deal with anybody. Otherwise there's no other solutions at the moment. Anyways this season is more about developing youth anyway.
    Why do you say that. Literally all the top analysts say he projects out to be a top 5-10 talent in the draft except he got injured.... him being a bust shouldn't even come in to the equation. They already said he will play. He just won't be playing in the first month and a half but by January he will be in the NBA. Yes Bruno is going to need to show something this year. But why would you assume that OG anunoby isn't going to play. They already said he is going to play. Additionally, he has a crazy 7'3 wing span.

Comment

At some point you need to see whaty ou have and develop. You are right this year is more a hidden development year but thats why you will see what we have in all of our guys. Even the 4 spot. Bruno/OG will get spot minutes at those positions.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        Why do you say that. Literally all the top analysts say he projects out to be a top 5-10 talent in the draft except he got injured.... him being a bust shouldn't even come in to the equation. They already said he will play. He just won't be playing in the first month and a half but by January he will be in the NBA. Yes Bruno is going to need to show something this year. But why would you assume that OG anunoby isn't going to play. They already said he is going to play. Additionally, he has a crazy 7'3 wing span.
        I'm not sold on OG. I guess bust is a wrong word because he's late first round pick anyway. But he reminds me too much of Winslow. What if he never develops his shot?
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I'm not sold on OG. I guess bust is a wrong word because he's late first round pick anyway. But he reminds me too much of Winslow. What if he never develops his shot?
          Winslow's shooting has been poor, but he's also far from a bust - he has almost 3000 minutes under his belt as a rotation guy for a decent team by the age of 21. If OG never develops his shot (though he was hitting some in college), he's still a positionless-basketball guy that can play 3-4-5 because he's even bigger than Justice.

Same goes for Bruno really, though I'd be surprised if his shot wasn't on point this year.

Comment

That and the kid hasn't even played a minute of ball.
            Not even summer league.

A little early to be passing judgement no ?
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

Alex91 wrote: View Post
              When it comes to defending LBJ, you need a big wing, a mobile PF, and a PG that can slow him down on switches and pray for held defence.

If it was as simple as one style of player (member that was PJ) then LBJ would not of made the finals like every year.

Out scoring the Cavs is the only way to beat them. And outside of KD, their isn't a lot of players that LBJ or TT cant contain 1 on 1.
              Well I didn't say big wing is the only problem.

You also need elite rim protection to at least deter him from attacking the basket somewhat. Indiana had the perfect formula for this with George to throw at him defensively and Hibbert at the rim, which is why they were able to get very close a couple times.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

You also need elite rim protection to at least deter him from attacking the basket somewhat. Indiana had the perfect formula for this with George to throw at him defensively and Hibbert at the rim, which is why they were able to get very close a couple times.
                that was so long ago though. I don't think you could have it work in todays game... look at the rockets or the warriors... they would just stretch you out. Even the cavs. They mainly focus on transition offense and 3's and iso.

Comment

Nah. We'll be fine. If we lack a big SF, we don't lack that SF any more than we did the past 4 seasons. If it's a problem, it's a persistent one, not a new one. Powell is more capable of guarding any player in the league than Carroll was over the past two years, nevermind Terrence Ross playing at the three. The big SF's that kill you need to be doubled to stop them anyway.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

OG Anunoby is not going to play in his rookie year. I'm not even sure if he's not a bust yet.

Raptors know about their weaknesses. They can't do anything about it though. That's why they signed Malcolm Miller and Alfonzo McKinnie. Those 2 and Bruno is their only hope on having a large 3 to deal with anybody. Otherwise there's no other solutions at the moment. Anyways this season is more about developing youth anyway.
                    God, the guy hasn't played a single game and we're calling him a bust already smh.

The ONLY reason OG dropped to the Raptors was because of his injury. If not for his injury he'd be a top 15 pick maybe even top 10. He's good.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

If you get a Justice Winslow at #23 you have generally done a really good job drafting.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                        If you get a Justice Winslow at #23 you have generally done a really good job drafting.
                        Exactly. I think OG has a higher ceiling than Winslow though.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          Nah. We'll be fine. If we lack a big SF, we don't lack that SF any more than we did the past 4 seasons. If it's a problem, it's a persistent one, not a new one. Powell is more capable of guarding any player in the league than Carroll was over the past two years, nevermind Terrence Ross playing at the three. The big SF's that kill you need to be doubled to stop them anyway.
                          The issue to me is when other teams go small. You shift Ibaka to the five and now you've got three guys (Jonas, Poeltl, Bebe) out of the game, and you have to fill the gap at the 3/4 with Powell, Miles, and Siakam. Anunoby when he's ready.

Compare that to the options we had when we made the ECF: Patterson, Carroll, Ross, and JJ.

It's not just size, either. Positional awareness due to inexperience could be a serious problem for us.

I just hope people don't have unrealistic expectations for our young guys. There are going to be growing pains.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            The issue to me is when other teams go small. You shift Ibaka to the five and now you've got three guys (Jonas, Poeltl, Bebe) out of the game, and you have to fill the gap at the 3/4 with Powell, Miles, and Siakam. Anunoby when he's ready.

Compare that to the options we had when we made the ECF: Patterson, Carroll, Ross, and JJ.

It's not just size, either. Positional awareness due to inexperience could be a serious problem for us.

I just hope people don't have unrealistic expectations for our young guys. There are going to be growing pains.
                            Yeah, but that should be like 5 minutes a game. Any more than that and it's our own fault for not being able to take advantage of size. There aren't that many GSW's that can really take advantage when small. Most teams will be giving up a lot in those looks.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

Isnt that what regular season is for? To develop them slowly without undue pressure.
                              Besides "experts" at espn picked us to finish 6th anyways.
                              I'll take that if a couple of our kids develop.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

OG and Serge
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X