Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our lack of a 3/big-wing defender is a serious problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's pretty early to say our defence will be bad.

It will certainly take a step back from the top-5 defence it was after the all-star break. And probably at least a bit of a step back from the top-10 defence it was for the full year, depending on how much you weight CoJo/Pat/Carroll/Tucker versus Serge/Powell/Wright/Miles. I think it's not as big a step back as is being suggested.

I could see the defence being as bad as roughly average, or as good as yet again being a top 10 defence.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      How much longer do we wait on Bruno?
      I'd cut him now if i'm the Raptors. The guy plays like an idiot. His awareness is wayyyyyyyyy below average. Worse than Bargnani. He's not really athletic like a lot of people here says. And he's not even that good of a shooter. Just a complete WASTE of a roster spot.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        Big SF with no jumper and meh handles.
        Shooting = EASIEST skill to develop.

His athleticism, size/wingspan, tenacity on defence, basketball IQ/Awareness. Can't teach those.

I actually expect to see a lot of OG this year. I expect to see him play a lot of 3/4 . IMO he's already our 2nd best defender. Second behind Powell.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post

His athleticism, size/wingspan, tenacity on defence, basketball IQ/Awareness. Can't teach those.

I actually expect to see a lot of OG this year. I expect to see him play a lot of 3/4 . IMO he's already our 2nd best defender. Second behind Powell.
          If his defense even translates to NBA level. And I'm curious to see how his athleticism will look like after rehab and if he lost some of it.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Think the timeline for him to be physically ready to hit the court was November....early, late or mid..not at all sure.

Add in a couple of weeks of workouts to get close to game level cardio....
            A couple to three more weeks of practice and some G league games....
            Kinda expect him to play just befor or just after Christmas if he shows he can handle the NBA pace..
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              I think it's pretty early to say our defence will be bad.

It will certainly take a step back from the top-5 defence it was after the all-star break. And probably at least a bit of a step back from the top-10 defence it was for the full year, depending on how much you weight CoJo/Pat/Carroll/Tucker versus Serge/Powell/Wright/Miles. I think it's not as big a step back as is being suggested.

I could see the defence being as bad as roughly average, or as good as yet again being a top 10 defence.
              But to me middle of the pack isn't good enough in the playoffs when our offence falls off a cliff. In the regular season middle of the pack will be just fine because our offence will probably still be top ten like is usually is during the season. But when the playoffs come and our ISO ball is stopped once again but this time our defence is only middle of the pack that won't be a good combination if we're looking to have success. Hopefully either I'm wrong and this year our defence stays top 10 or some way some how Casey actually gets this team to move the ball and keep it up in the playoffs.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                But to me middle of the pack isn't good enough in the playoffs when our offence falls off a cliff. In the regular season middle of the pack will be just fine because our offence will probably still be top ten like is usually is during the season. But when the playoffs come and our ISO ball is stopped once again but this time our defence is only middle of the pack that won't be a good combination if we're looking to have success. Hopefully either I'm wrong and this year our defence stays top 10 or some way some how Casey actually gets this team to move the ball and keep it up in the playoffs.
                Meh. Our in-season defensive rating hasn't exactly translated into poor defensive playoff performances in the past, except with 2014-15 being a disaster season. It mostly comes down to matchups in the playoffs anyway. Our top 5 defence from the last month of the season with Ibaka and Tucker didn't look too hot against Cleveland. Got roughed up by Milwaukee prior to Casey matching up his big rotation with theirs, and ravaged them afterwards.

So long as we have a capable defence (like last season's prior to the trades, where overall they were pretty mediocre but in 4th Qs and clutch minutes were elite, capable of stepping up when needed), it will come down to game planning.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Was going to write a post but Dan already nailed it here. We had Tucker in the playoffs and Lebron still had his way with us. If you're saying we need a Lebron stopper then you're asking for something that doesn't exist. Might as well say we need to add a Unicorn for Kyle to ride all game so he doesn't tweak his knee.
                  Lebron was incredible in the post season even in the losses to gsw. His only bad game was the loss against the celts.

Comment

Meh. Our in-season defensive rating hasn't exactly translated into poor defensive playoff performances in the past, except with 2014-15 being a disaster season. It mostly comes down to matchups in the playoffs anyway. Our top 5 defence from the last month of the season with Ibaka and Tucker didn't look too hot against Cleveland. Got roughed up by Milwaukee prior to Casey matching up his big rotation with theirs, and ravaged them afterwards.

So long as we have a capable defence (like last season's prior to the trades, where overall they were pretty mediocre but in 4th Qs and clutch minutes were elite, capable of stepping up when needed), it will come down to game planning.
                    This is true. Matchups are the definitely the most important thing in the playoffs but game planning isn't exactly Casey's strength if we're being honest. So I don't know how confident I am in us doing that. Also its not the defence I think will drop off in the playoffs, its our offence. If we are a middle of the pack defence in the playoffs and then our offence drops to middle of the pack as well I don't know how well we'll do. Because usually our defence stays top 10 in the playoffs and our offence falls and we still struggle. So if both are now middle of the pack we may not get past the first round. I don't know if that's the right thinking to have though.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                      This is true. Matchups are the definitely the most important thing in the playoffs but game planning isn't exactly Casey's strength if we're being honest. So I don't know how confident I am in us doing that. Also its not the defence I think will drop off in the playoffs, its our offence. If we are a middle of the pack defence in the playoffs and then our offence drops to middle of the pack as well I don't know how well we'll do. Because usually our defence stays top 10 in the playoffs and our offence falls and we still struggle. So if both are now middle of the pack we may not get past the first round. I don't know if that's the right thinking to have though.
                      See, this is what I have issue with. It's way too simplistic a way to look at it. When dealing with such small samples, and against only 1-3 teams, how do we know our defence was good? Was it good for the first half of the Bucks series? No. Was it good against CLE? Nope. But it graded out fine overall because of 3 awesome games against the Bucks. If we somehow caught fire from three and managed to outscore CLE and steal three games, then the sample would be further skewed to the "bad" defence and we'd grade out differently.

I also think the team needs to fix their offence so it doesn't die in the playoffs - they made a big step this spring starting Powell, and hopefully will continue with that. But we have just as many defensive weapons as we had at the start of last season, arguably more with the young guys not being rookies and having promise there, and in the playoffs the key to good defence is being able to match up with your opponents. The Raptors match up just fine with basically any team in the East this side of LeBron, with Milwaukee and Washington being two of the tougher matchups in terms of defensive assignments, with the ability to play big or small.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

See, this is what I have issue with. It's way too simplistic a way to look at it. When dealing with such small samples, and against only 1-3 teams, how do we know our defence was good? Was it good for the first half of the Bucks series? No. Was it good against CLE? Nope. But it graded out fine overall because of 3 awesome games against the Bucks. If we somehow caught fire from three and managed to outscore CLE and steal three games, then the sample would be further skewed to the "bad" defence and we'd grade out differently.

I also think the team needs to fix their offence so it doesn't die in the playoffs - they made a big step this spring starting Powell, and hopefully will continue with that. But we have just as many defensive weapons as we had at the start of last season, arguably more with the young guys not being rookies and having promise there, and in the playoffs the key to good defence is being able to match up with your opponents. The Raptors match up just fine with basically any team in the East this side of LeBron, with Milwaukee and Washington being two of the tougher matchups in terms of defensive assignments, with the ability to play big or small.
                        So you think being a middle of the pack offence and defence in the playoffs will be good enough to get to the ECFs as long as we don't meet Cleveland before then? Or are you just banking on our offence not falling off a cliff this playoffs even though it has the last 4 seasons? Because if our defence is middle of the pack this regular season I doubt it reaches top 10 in the playoffs. And with the offence I'm just basing it off history. We usually are top 10 in the regular season and then terrible in the playoffs.

Comment

Ok GLF, since you like to complain about everything - what would you do if you're Masai Ujiri?
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Tell that to DeRozan.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                              Tell that to DeRozan.
                              He's a great mid-range shooter. That guy couldn't shoot when he first entered the league.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Ok GLF, since you like to complain about everything - what would you do if you're Masai Ujiri?
                                Sleep on a bed of money...and complain
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X