Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our lack of a 3/big-wing defender is a serious problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    Nah. We'll be fine. If we lack a big SF, we don't lack that SF any more than we did the past 4 seasons. If it's a problem, it's a persistent one, not a new one. Powell is more capable of guarding any player in the league than Carroll was over the past two years, nevermind Terrence Ross playing at the three. The big SF's that kill you need to be doubled to stop them anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    Well I didn't say big wing is the only problem.

You also need elite rim protection to at least deter him from attacking the basket somewhat. Indiana had the perfect formula for this with George to throw at him defensively and Hibbert at the rim, which is why they were able to get very close a couple times.
    that was so long ago though. I don't think you could have it work in todays game... look at the rockets or the warriors... they would just stretch you out. Even the cavs. They mainly focus on transition offense and 3's and iso.

Leave a comment:

• Shaolin Fantastic
    replied
    Alex91 wrote: View Post
    When it comes to defending LBJ, you need a big wing, a mobile PF, and a PG that can slow him down on switches and pray for held defence.

If it was as simple as one style of player (member that was PJ) then LBJ would not of made the finals like every year.

Out scoring the Cavs is the only way to beat them. And outside of KD, their isn't a lot of players that LBJ or TT cant contain 1 on 1.
    Well I didn't say big wing is the only problem.

You also need elite rim protection to at least deter him from attacking the basket somewhat. Indiana had the perfect formula for this with George to throw at him defensively and Hibbert at the rim, which is why they were able to get very close a couple times.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    I'm not sold on OG. I guess bust is a wrong word because he's late first round pick anyway. But he reminds me too much of Winslow. What if he never develops his shot?
    That and the kid hasn't even played a minute of ball.
    Not even summer league.

A little early to be passing judgement no ?

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    I'm not sold on OG. I guess bust is a wrong word because he's late first round pick anyway. But he reminds me too much of Winslow. What if he never develops his shot?
    Winslow's shooting has been poor, but he's also far from a bust - he has almost 3000 minutes under his belt as a rotation guy for a decent team by the age of 21. If OG never develops his shot (though he was hitting some in college), he's still a positionless-basketball guy that can play 3-4-5 because he's even bigger than Justice.

Same goes for Bruno really, though I'd be surprised if his shot wasn't on point this year.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    Why do you say that. Literally all the top analysts say he projects out to be a top 5-10 talent in the draft except he got injured.... him being a bust shouldn't even come in to the equation. They already said he will play. He just won't be playing in the first month and a half but by January he will be in the NBA. Yes Bruno is going to need to show something this year. But why would you assume that OG anunoby isn't going to play. They already said he is going to play. Additionally, he has a crazy 7'3 wing span.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    At some point you need to see whaty ou have and develop. You are right this year is more a hidden development year but thats why you will see what we have in all of our guys. Even the 4 spot. Bruno/OG will get spot minutes at those positions.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    OG Anunoby is not going to play in his rookie year. I'm not even sure if he's not a bust yet.

Raptors know about their weaknesses. They can't do anything about it though. That's why they signed Malcolm Miller and Alfonzo McKinnie. Those 2 and Bruno is their only hope on having a large 3 to deal with anybody. Otherwise there's no other solutions at the moment. Anyways this season is more about developing youth anyway.
    Why do you say that. Literally all the top analysts say he projects out to be a top 5-10 talent in the draft except he got injured.... him being a bust shouldn't even come in to the equation. They already said he will play. He just won't be playing in the first month and a half but by January he will be in the NBA. Yes Bruno is going to need to show something this year. But why would you assume that OG anunoby isn't going to play. They already said he is going to play. Additionally, he has a crazy 7'3 wing span.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    TRex wrote: View Post
    Bruno's name shouldn't be in this convo.

Let's talk about the NBA players on this team
    Bruno

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Bruno's name shouldn't be in this convo.

Let's talk about the NBA players on this team

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    The fact of the matter is that Powell, if he can take that next step forward, gives you near star level impact and that's what wins games in this league - star-level production. A little size mismatch isn't going to get in the way with that, especially when you've got rangy roleplayers that can give you defensive length at a moments notice.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    OG Anunoby is not going to play in his rookie year. I'm not even sure if he's not a bust yet.

Raptors know about their weaknesses. They can't do anything about it though. That's why they signed Malcolm Miller and Alfonzo McKinnie. Those 2 and Bruno is their only hope on having a large 3 to deal with anybody. Otherwise there's no other solutions at the moment. Anyways this season is more about developing youth anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X