Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post
    Pascal will do better this year with the offence being spread around a bit more. Trent, and OG deserve more usage.
    Yes. And until I learn different I am holding onto the idea that a lot of Siakim's efficiency drop off had to do with the Tampa lock down. Siakim strikes me as an emotional player. If he was isolated from family and frustrated with his bout of COVID impacting his game and had no fans to cheer the team on and had to listen to boos raining down on home games, not to mention having difficulty dealing with the double teams resulting from no decent centers and other scorers either sick, injured or being held out of games, I would expect his game to tank. The fact that he starts barking at the coach could well be a function of all of those factors.

I expect more than him doing better, I expect a big turnaround this season.

Comment

• The bubble and last year situations were hard on the players... and we all react to it different ways. Let’s see how he plays in normal circumstances.

Comment

• He's the best guy we have that can create off the dribble in the half court. So hopefully he goes back to normal. Otherwise it's going to be a really ugly season again.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          He's the best guy we have that can create off the dribble in the half court. So hopefully he goes back to normal. Otherwise it's going to be a really ugly season again.
          I think OG overtook him in that regard. Just needs reps to showcase it and buyin from coaches
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

I think OG overtook him in that regard. Just needs reps to showcase it and buyin from coaches
            Pink font?

Not-sure-if-serious.gif

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

I've enjoyed OG's flashes as much as anyone, but, no. Nope.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Pink font?

Not-sure-if-serious.gif
                Dead serious

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I've enjoyed OG's flashes as much as anyone, but, no. Nope.
                  well hope you are ready for OG supremacy

Comment

• I'm expecting a major bounceback. Going to be a lot more dangerous in the midrange, and with his long ball.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Yes. And until I learn different I am holding onto the idea that a lot of Siakim's efficiency drop off had to do with the Tampa lock down. Siakim strikes me as an emotional player. If he was isolated from family and frustrated with his bout of COVID impacting his game and had no fans to cheer the team on and had to listen to boos raining down on home games, not to mention having difficulty dealing with the double teams resulting from no decent centers and other scorers either sick, injured or being held out of games, I would expect his game to tank. The fact that he starts barking at the coach could well be a function of all of those factors.

I expect more than him doing better, I expect a big turnaround this season.
                      Emotions and energy affect his confidence imho. He was visibly hesitant in his shooting in Tampa (at the worst times). He's also something like a 0.222 3P% on the second night of back to backs and his away 3P% is a good step down from his home 3P%. I think this means a few things:

- COVID/Tampa/bubble were a huge reason for his drop off, he was fine a year ago until COVID hit
                      - This is the type of thing a player has to overcome as he develops and Siakam needs to work through this. Can't be an excuse forever, has to develop consistency. The best players are reliable in all these different circumstances. It's role players who only look good in the home gym.
                      - It's mostly between the ears. Siakam is capable of shooting, needs to maintain his confidence and play like he can.
                      - I think the Raptors changed his role too much and he was out of his natural rhythm a lot. Guy needs to run up and down the floor and get some easy buckets, not just get clear out iso's on the wing over and over again. Team needs to help him play in rhythm.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Emotions and energy affect his confidence imho. He was visibly hesitant in his shooting in Tampa (at the worst times). He's also something like a 0.222 3P% on the second night of back to backs and his away 3P% is a good step down from his home 3P%. I think this means a few things:

- COVID/Tampa/bubble were a huge reason for his drop off, he was fine a year ago until COVID hit
                        - This is the type of thing a player has to overcome as he develops and Siakam needs to work through this. Can't be an excuse forever, has to develop consistency. The best players are reliable in all these different circumstances. It's role players who only look good in the home gym.
                        - It's mostly between the ears. Siakam is capable of shooting, needs to maintain his confidence and play like he can.
                        - I think the Raptors changed his role too much and he was out of his natural rhythm a lot. Guy needs to run up and down the floor and get some easy buckets, not just get clear out iso's on the wing over and over again. Team needs to help him play in rhythm.
                        As long as Pascal is the #1A/1B scoring option, he's not getting those easy transition buckets like he did before to boost his efficiency. Those days are gone.

That's the first thing on every opposing team's scouting reports to take away from the Raptors. In his breakout MIP season, that was much further down the opposition game-plan list.... Kawhi being #1, obviously. He has to learn to score in different ways when the difference is 100% focused on him - that's the difference between being a max player and a role player. And it gets even harder in the playoffs.

Comment

• Pascal is Pippen.
                          (might end up selling Bourbons too)

We still need an MJ.

Comment

As long as Pascal is the #1A/1B scoring option, he's not getting those easy transition buckets like he did before to boost his efficiency. Those days are gone.

That's the first thing on every opposing team's scouting reports to take away from the Raptors. In his breakout MIP season, that was much further down the opposition game-plan list.... Kawhi being #1, obviously. He has to learn to score in different ways when the difference is 100% focused on him - that's the difference between being a max player and a role player. And it gets even harder in the playoffs.
                            I think the key will be to run even more isolation plays for him 30 feet away from the basket when he's guarded by quicker players while everyone else on the team stands around watching him. That will be sure to maximize his skill set.

Comment

It doesn't really explain his 2020 season pre-bubble. He deserved second-team all-nba and was the #1 option. Some of it was scouting, but a lot of it was him. He stopped drilling those above the break 3's that defenders gave him. He stopped findings ways to get to the rim and either passing it to an open man or dunking it. He was pretty great at the corner 3 when someone else initiated but it stopped going down again. And he was super clutch as well. Weren't we the most clutch team in 2020? And I know Nurse was giving him the ball in isolation a lot that season.

I think a lot of that was just his energy though. He had so much energy pre-covid. It's why they called him spicy. The guy never ran out of juice. And that energy gave him confidence. Last season and in the bubble he was hanging on to his shorts a lot. Would take so many plays off on defense. Wouldn't hustle to grab a board and just score in transition on his own.. even if defenders were prepared for it. As for scouting transition and taking it away.. the Lakers won a chip in 2020 because of transition play.. and everyone knew they relied on it. You can't beat it if you can out pace/run your opponent.

There was a legit ongoing debate as to whether Siakam was just as good as Giannis.. since he had as much energy as Giannis did (just not the explosiveness/athleticism). To be able to run down the court like a gazelle and finesse his way to a bucket, despite having defenders there to try and stop him. Nobody created a Siakam wall. They didn't need to. Siakam wasn't busting his ass to get down to the other side of the court.

Hopefully his trainer is helping him focus on his cardio. And I hope he's not mentally checked out.. especially with all the rumours out there that the Raptors were shopping him. If we can get the Raptors back in Toronto, hopefully we'll see more of what we saw pre covid. Or we don't and his days will be numbered.

The one thing that will suck is we don't have Lowry finding ways to get him going in transition. Hopefully Malachi or Scottie can throw the ball like a football. It's one of the main reasons why I was so pro Suggs at the draft.

Comment

• Haha, yes Fred:

At this point, I'm pretty sure these Pascal rumours are pure speculation from these 3rd party social media content generators. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors were open to including him in trade conversations pre-draft. I don't think the Raptors are actively shopping him at all. I don't think teams like Sacramento or LAC have a chance in hell of prying him away from the Raptors, given what they'd have to offer. Pure nonsense.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X