X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

It's just roster composition. So who's coming off the bench? Who's not playing in crunch time? Trent Jr? FVV? Birch? Achiuawa? The three guys can play at the same time, but it means at least one typical starter isn't going to start in the near future or be out there in crunch time.

You go with the 5 that gives you a best chance to win. But if one of our crew has to come off the bench and be a 6th man type of player, well that guy might want to get traded. Egos have to be managed at the end of the day.

More or less my take as well. Playing one of OG, Siakam or Barnes at C is a match up based move they will definitely want to do but none of those guys are full time C's. So who comes off the bench? There is always a chance Barnes doesn't work out but he's got to be though of as a permanent part of the long term future right now so you gotta think he's going to be moved to the starting line up at some point. Seems unlikely Trent would be moved to allow the forwards to play 2-4 because Trent projects as a knockdown shooter type which we will badly need around two of Barnes/Birch/Precious.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    The good thing was that Scottie came off the bench at Florida State, I doubt he has any qualms about being that guy. He almost seemed to play better in Summer league after he sat for a bit. Who knows, he may prefer to see the game, make some adjustments and go in and put his stamp on the game.

His shooting has to improve a bit for him to be with Pascal and OG for substantial minutes, but I see that being the vision. None of those guys needs to be traded.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post
    All three of them can guard 2-4 if not 1-5. I'm not sure why anyone would be concerned with the potential for those three to play together. They have a very good overlap of skills, with OGs shooting complimenting Pascal's and Barnes' playmaking, etc. All 3 of them have the potential to be good shooters.
    It's just roster composition. So who's coming off the bench? Who's not playing in crunch time? Trent Jr? FVV? Birch? Achiuawa? The three guys can play at the same time, but it means at least one typical starter isn't going to start in the near future or be out there in crunch time.

You go with the 5 that gives you a best chance to win. But if one of our crew has to come off the bench and be a 6th man type of player, well that guy might want to get traded. Egos have to be managed at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    All three of them can guard 2-4 if not 1-5. I'm not sure why anyone would be concerned with the potential for those three to play together. They have a very good overlap of skills, with OGs shooting complimenting Pascal's and Barnes' playmaking, etc. All 3 of them have the potential to be good shooters.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    I don't think they have any intention of trading one of OG/Pascal/Scottie to "make room" for the others. They have every intention of playing all three together, either at 2-4 or 3-5. Now, they could decide to sell on the older guys in a couple years, in which case Pascal would be traded and there would be an obvious spot to slot Scottie in, but I really don't think they will ever be looking at the roster and think they have to move one of those guys because of fit.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

That is likely the starting unit though I think Precious will be given an opportunity to earn the starting C spot in training camp.

I think eventually it would be one of OG or Pascal that would need to be moved to make room for Scottie in the starting line up. Not this season but when/if Scottie starts to outplay one of those guys.
    Yeah likely Pascal due to age.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    All those mid-range weapons he was working on but struggling mightily with last year - Dirk-onefooters, pullups, even his patented gliding stretch-out long distance layup - are going to serve him much better this year.

And his 3-ball % is going to revert to the mean as all this (pull-up, step-back) work starts to hit the required number of reps for those to not be bad shots for him. Getting back to knocking down the open ones.

Call it a hunch. But how good is he if he can do these things?

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

The team has 3 Raptor "vets" that will likely always get that starter spot, unless hurt. So we're just really looking at 2 spots for him. The center (which will likely be Birch's spot) or SG (which will likely be Trent Jr's spot).

I wouldn't want him to play C on this team.. maybe for the odd spell here or there, but that's a tough position to put a rookie in. Likely he only starts if someone gets hurt.. or if Trent really starts sucking IMO.
    That is likely the starting unit though I think Precious will be given an opportunity to earn the starting C spot in training camp.

I think eventually it would be one of OG or Pascal that would need to be moved to make room for Scottie in the starting line up. Not this season but when/if Scottie starts to outplay one of those guys.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Pascal will likely continue to have some trouble in high pressure moments as the number one option on offense (barring a major breakthrough). I would love to see how he much better he performs next to a true number one...he was just getting his feet wet when Kawhi was here. Same with Freddy.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

I don't think it's set in stone, but generally you want your best players to start and finish the game. Was a different scenario with Ibaka and Gasol if that is what you are referring to because you Raps were trying to preserve the legs of an aging Gasol, but I think we are past that now with a young team with fresh legs.

I don't have a problem with Barnes coming off the bench as a rookie either, but my point is that we are all hoping he develops quickly and can be put into the starting line up sooner than later (best 5 on the floor). I'd love it if Scottie could supplant one of the starters by end of season because it would mean he's already outplaying one of our best 5.
    The team has 3 Raptor "vets" that will likely always get that starter spot, unless hurt. So we're just really looking at 2 spots for him. The center (which will likely be Birch's spot) or SG (which will likely be Trent Jr's spot).

I wouldn't want him to play C on this team.. maybe for the odd spell here or there, but that's a tough position to put a rookie in. Likely he only starts if someone gets hurt.. or if Trent really starts sucking IMO.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

I thought it wasn't (or wasn't supposed to be) about who starts but who finishes the game. I see no problem with coming off the bench as a rookie.
    I don't think it's set in stone, but generally you want your best players to start and finish the game. Was a different scenario with Ibaka and Gasol if that is what you are referring to because you Raps were trying to preserve the legs of an aging Gasol, but I think we are past that now with a young team with fresh legs.

I don't have a problem with Barnes coming off the bench as a rookie either, but my point is that we are all hoping he develops quickly and can be put into the starting line up sooner than later (best 5 on the floor). I'd love it if Scottie could supplant one of the starters by end of season because it would mean he's already outplaying one of our best 5.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Pascal was just horrible in the clutch last year.. to the point where I just felt so bad for the guy. He came into the season flat, when he had videos of him working out and saying stuff like he's coming into the season with a chip on his shoulder.

But I still like the dude. Definitely got a bad wrap from the bubble and early in the season. Some fans haven't let go. It is what it is. I remember Lebron looking like crap against the Mavericks in 2011. Kyle Lowry looked like he shat himself against the Bucks that one season. Some guys just get into funks.

I believe in Pascal. I think he's going to look like an all-star again. Let's just hope he gets one clutch shot to go down this season for his sake.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied

Down the line and as soon as hopefully the end of this season you probably want your lottery pick to start.
    I thought it wasn't (or wasn't supposed to be) about who starts but who finishes the game. I see no problem with coming off the bench as a rookie.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

You keep on going back to the nostalgia, I don’t blame you but get over it…lol….just like defending your boy Stevie Nash

Siakam sunk under pressure when he got smack upfront of the adversity of the bubble and COVID, you and your cronies still so naive to not see it at face value jeez
    I think its been kind of shown that he was stuck in canada while other players had homes and what not to go to in america and could work out when they want even if not sanctioned because america was much more lax. So the guy just sat around in his house sadly (and its likely a condo).

The bubble was early on in the pandemic still... we didn't even have the vaccine starting to be rolled out then... .so at that point there is a ton going on.

He also had a groin injury before the season ended that he was playing with and never really got back to norm after that...because those are tough injuries. Again missing the playoffs was good for us because it gave guys like FVV and Siakam rest that they needed and now he has a house in the US with a court and everything and has been working. I mean we haven't really had a team that has had a good long off season in a WHILE. Think of how short the past few off seasons have been. That is when you work on your game. AND you need a little bit of recovery time. So when you are playing in a normal season till Mid July, and then in another instance you are playing right after that in a short period of time.. yeah it takes its toll.

I am not against trading basically anyone on the roster but I want to see things under a semi normal situation.

Also Siakam was bad offensively from a shooting standpoint but he wasn't making a ton of turnovers and his defence was still good enough that he had to play in the celtics series. It also allowed OG to grow a bit more. Lastly, what about Gasol. He shat the bed HARD. There were shots he was missing all series.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

You keep on going back to the nostalgia, I don’t blame you but get over it…lol….just like defending your boy Stevie Nash

Siakam sunk under pressure when he got smack upfront of the adversity of the bubble and COVID, you and your cronies still so naive to not see it at face value jeez
    Right, so the bubble was a higher pressure environment than the Finals. Got it.

Why would the 20-21 season have been a high pressure environment? There were basically no expectations of the team, basically identical to the 19-20 season.

Having COVID, playing zero home games all year, and not being able to train during the offseason are not the sort of "adversity" a player is expected to perform under. At least, not by the reasonable.

If the throughline was that Pascal couldn't handle pressure, he'd have folded in the chip run, and he'd have laid an egg the entire 19-20 season when he was first handed the 1A reins. And yet, he didn't. He only struggled in the extremely out of the ordinary contexts listed above.

Wait, also, what do you mean with the Steve Nash comment? I can't recall the last time I had a Steve Nash conversation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X