Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    Not sure which thread to put this in. Jazz just waived Joel Bolomboy who is a very similar player to Pascal..... a long, energy big with an evolving shot. Drafted 2nd round #52 by Utah. Pascal is a looking like a wasted 1st round pick.

https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-u...joel-bolomboy/
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
      ***sigh** Do I really have to spell it out for you? Raw energy bigs like Pascal are always available. You don't have to waste 1st round picks on them.

Comment

***sigh** Do I really have to spell it out for you? Raw energy bigs like Pascal are always available. You don't have to waste 1st round picks on them.

Your post almost read like we should be chasing this Bolomboy kid, now that he's available.

Comment

Actually that was very helpful.

Aren't raw energy bigs with an evolving shot drafted in the 1st round all the time too? Almost like they're not all the same apart from 2-3 broad similarities.
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
            Actually that was very helpful.

Aren't raw energy bigs with an evolving shot drafted in the 1st round all the time too? Almost like they're not all the same apart from 2-3 broad similarities.
            Sure, except Pascal wasn't projected to go anywhere near the 1st round. He's looking a lot more like a mid-second rounder who got picked way too early.

Comment

I think Siakam is pretty garbage. Seems like a nice enough kid. My fear is he's gonna be taking minutes from da real OG
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Not sure which thread to put this in. Jazz just waived Joel Bolomboy who is a very similar player to Pascal..... a long, energy big with an evolving shot. Drafted 2nd round #52 by Utah. Pascal is a looking like a wasted 1st round pick.

https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-u...joel-bolomboy/
                I don't know if he was wasted outright, but I am nervous that Skal Labissiere is going to be exactly what we needed, and we passed on him twice.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  I don't know if he was wasted outright, but I am nervous that Skal Labissiere is going to be exactly what we needed, and we passed on him twice.
                  Poeltl is gonna be a very good player. Very intelligent, good attitude. Future lower middle class vlade divac

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    From the reports, Skal seemed to be on Masai's draft shortlist. Would be really interesting to get the low-down on how the final decision was made not to grab Skal when he dropped. My wild speculation is that it had something to do with Siakam looking somewhat like a semi-tough Biz replacement after his breakout performance in the ECF, and Skal looking somewhat soft and timid.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Poeltl is gonna be a very good player. Very intelligent, good attitude. Future lower middle class vlade divac
                      I'm still going with Homeless Man's Tim Duncan

(I don't see race)

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        I think Siakam is pretty garbage. Seems like a nice enough kid. My fear is he's gonna be taking minutes from da real OG
                        He didn't have the best preseason, but he's going to be a solid rotation player for many years. Rich man's Jerome Williams.

I do think Masai played it a tad safe with Pascal over Skal. He was likely concerned that his youth movement could go sour with the wrong personalities (ie Skal + Bruno) and went with more of a veteran-style producer but one that also had very good length and athleticism. He was rewarded with a guy (at least semi) capable of starting on a winning team with very solid potential as his D and jumper get better and better.

Comment

From the reports, Skal seemed to be on Masai's draft shortlist. Would be really interesting to get the low-down on how the final decision was made not to grab Skal when he dropped. My wild speculation is that it had something to do with Siakam looking somewhat like a semi-tough Biz replacement after his breakout performance in the ECF, and Skal looking somewhat soft and timid.
                          The final decision by Masai was the workout of Pascal whom he personally saw and was most impressed then the others. I believe that Masai tends to believe that if he finds the right player with the right attitude, he can transform him into a "system player" like they do in San Antonio. Skal was overall dissapointing in college and seemed timid and raw, which I think Masai didn't want to take on another big gamble like he did with the Bruno pick that is yet to pay dividends.

I was dissapointed at the time that such a highly questionable talented player like Skal fell to our lap yet we didn't go for it like we did with Anunoby this year which at draft time was the right call ( let's hope so).

Now Skal is showing that he isn't that timid and may live up to some of his hype while Pascal has yet to show he isn't but another Luc Moute clone like player which is a fine backup but nothing more. Only time will tell...

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                            He didn't have the best preseason, but he's going to be a solid rotation player for many years. Rich man's Jerome Williams.

I do think Masai played it a tad safe with Pascal over Skal. He was likely concerned that his youth movement could go sour with the wrong personalities (ie Skal + Bruno) and went with more of a veteran-style producer but one that also had very good length and athleticism. He was rewarded with a guy (at least semi) capable of starting on a winning team with very solid potential as his D and jumper get better and better.
                            I would be happy with just "Jerome Williams" he need not be rich. Maybe it's part nostalgia but man that dude was good at the "little things" in like 2003. He was like 6-9 Kyle Lowry who can't shoot or pass, if that makes sense lol. Of course, he was no Keon Clark. But then again, nobody is.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                              The final decision by Masai was the workout of Pascal whom he personally saw and was most impressed then the others. I believe that Masai tends to believe that if he finds the right player with the right attitude, he can transform him into a "system player" like they do in San Antonio. Skal was overall dissapointing in college and seemed timid and raw, which I think Masai didn't want to take on another big gamble like he did with the Bruno pick that is yet to pay dividends.

I was dissapointed at the time that such a highly questionable talented player like Skal fell to our lap yet we didn't go for it like we did with Anunoby this year which at draft time was the right call ( let's hope so).

Now Skal is showing that he isn't that timid and may live up to some of his hype while Pascal has yet to show he isn't but another Luc Moute clone like player which is a fine backup but nothing more. Only time will tell...
                              That makes a lot of sense. At the same time, if Masai's thought process was to be gun-shy of getting burned picking Skal because of Bruno, there really is no comparison there. Skal was ranked the #1 player coming out of high-school at one point, whereas Bruno was, and still is a complete unknown in basketball terms. Nobody would have faulted Masai for picking Skal 10+ spots lower than where he was projected to go. There are no sure things in the draft.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense. At the same time, if Masai's thought process was to be gun-shy of getting burned picking Skal because of Bruno, there really is no comparison there. Skal was ranked the #1 player coming out of high-school at one point, whereas Bruno was, and still is a complete unknown in basketball terms. Nobody would have faulted Masai for picking Skal 10+ spots lower than where he was projected to go. There are no sure things in the draft.
                                2nd guessing is a curse. The Bruno pick was partly due to missing out on Giannis (whom Masai wanted but did not have a pick) who was also for the most part unknown( still raw playing in the Greek league) and was projected to go outside the lottery in what was perceived correctly to be a weak draft.

Anunoby pick is therefore an accumulation of Masai's questionable draft picks that finally came down to the correct assessment when drafting a player outside the lottery in the first round : You don't always want the safe pick (Pascal) but you also don't always want too risky pick (Bruno) but a combination of the two. You want some risk if it means higher then average upside (Anunoby/Skal/Capela).

Comment

Working...
                                X