Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/top-trade-d...135337140.html

Some good and realistic breakdown of possible trade destinations for Siakam.

Pacers and Magic both look like good trade partners.

If Siakam would just back down on his no signing extensions elsewhere BS we could get a deal done.
    I get it but Pascal's under no obligation to sign an extension to a team he had no say in landing on. He wants to stay here or wants his bag opportunity or wants to be a FA. That's his right since he can't block a trade.

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post

I get it but Pascal's under no obligation to sign an extension to a team he had no say in landing on. He wants to stay here or wants his bag opportunity or wants to be a FA. That's his right since he can't block a trade.
      He could just say no comment. That would have been nice.

Anyways, is what it is now. Hopefully we still get something good for him.

Comment

• Uhh, Pascal also has every single reason to say he wouldn't sign an extension as part of the trade. No one is making promises 6 months out. An extension now (along with or after a trade) would be dramatically less money than he can sign for if he waits. Of course he won't sign an extension immediately after a trade, and of course he won't agree verbally to sign one in 6 months without seeing how those 6 months go with the new team.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• An idea of what some super max starting salaries will look like:

I think Pascal signs for the full max. Or at least less than 35%. But getting it now is better than getting it later when the cap goes up. So that's a bonus. I don't think he'll be hard to trade if he signs a 35% super max (assuming he makes all-nba). He just has to stay healthy knock on wood.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            An idea of what some super max starting salaries will look like:

I think Pascal signs for the full max. Or at least less than 35%. But getting it now is better than getting it later when the cap goes up. So that's a bonus. I don't think he'll be hard to trade if he signs a 35% super max (assuming he makes all-nba). He just has to stay healthy knock on wood.
            This is what I struggle with. Maybe we don’t appreciate him enough here but is there any other team who has a player on that list that would trade that player 1 for 1 for Pascal? Maybe 1 or 2 of them? If that.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

This is what I struggle with. Maybe we don’t appreciate him enough here but is there any other team who has a player on that list that would trade that player 1 for 1 for Pascal? Maybe 1 or 2 of them? If that.
              To me only
              Tatum,
              Giannis
              Doncic
              Curry,
              Jokic and Shai
              are worth it

With KD, Lebron and Lillard omitted due to age.

Davis, Kawhi, George and Embiid omitted due to injury history
              and the rest omitted to skillset.

Comment

Maybe not but you can do the same thinking for other guys too. Like Towns, Mitchell, Fox, Ingram. Bucks wouldn't trade Giannis for any of those guys. Neither would Philly trade Embiid. Or Denver trade Jokic, etc. Well unless those stars ask to be traded.

Ultimately though about half the teams in the NBA don't have a guy in this list. And those teams may want a guy from this list. That's where a guy Pascal might become attractive.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

To me only
                  Tatum,
                  Giannis
                  Doncic
                  Curry,
                  Jokic and Shai
                  are worth it

With KD, Lebron and Lillard omitted due to age.

Davis, Kawhi, George and Embiid omitted due to injury history
                  and the rest omitted to skillset.
                  The difference is those guys are worth more than the max. The problem is the league has a max salary ceiling. Ideally you get a guy who should be paid more than the max and build around that guy. They are really hard to find though.

The best advantage to signing a guy like Towns, Brown or Pascal into a super max now is that the cap keeps rising. So by their 2nd or 3rd year they will be making less than 35% of the cap (assuming Pascal makes all-nba).

Comment

The difference is those guys are worth more than the max. The problem is the league has a max salary ceiling. Ideally you get a guy who should be paid more than the max and build around that guy. They are really hard to find though.

The best advantage to signing a guy like Towns, Brown or Pascal into a super max now is that the cap keeps rising. So by their 2nd or 3rd year they will be making less than 35% of the cap (assuming Pascal makes all-nba).
                    You're right, but given this is the CBA, my position is just because you qualify for a Super Max doesn't mean you're entitled to one. Especially now with the second tax apron.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                      You're right, but given this is the CBA, my position is just because you qualify for a Super Max doesn't mean you're entitled to one. Especially now with the second tax apron.
                      The second tax apron isn't a problem for a majority of teams. It's an issue if you have 2-3 guys maxing super max or max deals. Like Boston, LAC or LAL are. Barnes will only get a 25% max deal (potentially) coming off his rookie deal. He could get a bit more like 27% or 28% like Pascal got but would need to make all-nba. Still not close to 35% which is what LAC and Boston is facing for example for their two stars.

The entitlement thing is where things fall apart because nobody is entitled to most of what the NBA makes. Brown wasn't worth a super max but got one. Neither was Towns. Guys that don't deserve it get it. That's the NBA business though. You can't make all your decisions based on things like this otherwise you may never field a team.

The good news is Pascal didn't make all-nba last year and we can negotiate an extension now. Maybe he's willing to take a non-super max early. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. It's just too bad the Raptors have been dicking him around this summer.

Raptors should have been upfront. Offer the 30% max extension. And say if he declines it that he will be shopped fearing that he could leave like Fred did. Instead they shopped him before offering that extension. That's a mistake IMO.

Comment

• You also have to take into account what your going to do with a supermax player once they get into those later years. You either want them for the full term or your likely going to have to trade them for another guy who is also on the supermax, or a decent cheaper player plus a bad contract. What are the chances the teams with those other guys listed would want to trade for Pascal? I think we are going to see a shift in the next 5ish year when some of these top 10 to 20 guys on supermax hamstring teams. It will be similar to when teams shifted from big 3s and went with big 2s and depth. Going to be hard to win a championship with guys like markaneen, Ingram, bam making 60 million
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Maybe not but you can do the same thinking for other guys too. Like Towns, Mitchell, Fox, Ingram. Bucks wouldn't trade Giannis for any of those guys. Neither would Philly trade Embiid. Or Denver trade Jokic, etc. Well unless those stars ask to be traded.

Ultimately though about half the teams in the NBA don't have a guy in this list. And those teams may want a guy from this list. That's where a guy Pascal might become attractive.
                          Towns is a tricky one but do you think the Cavs (Mitchell), Kings (Fox) or Pellies (Ingram) would trade one for one for Pascal? Maybe Utah would.

Comment

• To add to my above post. A few teams are going to get fucked when they are the one of the last teams to give a top 10-25 guy a supermax the year before teams collectively decide it's not worth it to pay that level of guy a supermax.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Towns is a tricky one but do you think the Cavs (Mitchell), Kings (Fox) or Pellies (Ingram) would trade one for one for Pascal? Maybe Utah would.
                              Likely not. But I don't think any of those teams would swap their guy for any of those other guys either. Utah seems to be going younger. I mean they were the ones that traded Mitchell away for picks and prospects.

Comment

Raptors should have been upfront. Offer the 30% max extension. And say if he declines it that he will be shopped fearing that he could leave like Fred did. Instead they shopped him before offering that extension. That's a mistake IMO.
                                How are we sure of this?

Comment

Working...
                                X