No announcement yet.

Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior to the season starting I pointed to Pascal's development as being a key part to contending this season, then questioning what he was working on all summer and how he would fit around Kawhi and Lowry, to then thinking we expected too much from him. Now hes fitting in perfectly and and going beyond those high expectations. Can't wait to see what the next 10 games will bring.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Let him have this one, it was a rough summer
      LOL. Yeah, let Christian suffer with some dignity. He's reminding me of this, though.....

Comment

• If Siakam was a Laker, the American media would be hyping him like crazy.

Look at how they're hyping Ingram lol.

Just a matter of time before they realize Ingram is not any good.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Fury wrote: View Post
          If Siakam was a Laker, the American media would be hyping him like crazy.

Look at how they're hyping Ingram lol.

Just a matter of time before they realize Ingram is not any good.
          The lack of hype is good. Keep's the price down.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• My concerns are Siakam's secondary moves. Sorry to be the debbie-downer, but I think teams will start to make him a point of emphasis.

First, he loves that drop step spin move that gets him so close to the bucket. Teams lay off of him cause he can't shoot, which actually gives him starting space to make his downward momentum towards the basket. Teams will start to close the gap sooner and take away the spin drive. He's mostly been good with straight line drives, but if he's handling the ball as much as he did last night vs. Utah in the near future... he'll have to prove that he's got a capable dribble package to make plays when teams take away the go-to moves.

Second, he can't shoot... yet. His form is actually not bad, but the windup is awful, and he starts the shot so low rather than getting it into the shooting pocket. Teams will start to close the gap if he's got the ball in the triple-threat position, taking away the straight-line drive. They will also play off of him when he's off-the-ball, negating a lot of his effectiveness offensively. Luckily, Siakam is a really good rebounder and makes good off-ball-reads to counter some of the defences that I've mentioned.

Nonethelesss, Siakam is scary good. Watching him poke the ball loose from Crowder and still outrun him when he's behind the play for the finish+foul was impressive. Then he had that really weird, Giannis-type finish where he planted the foot and spun mid-air overtop the defence. Plus, that was the most he's ever handled the ball to initiate the offense, whether off scores or in transition. He came up plenty of times off an inbound doing the guard work, with Lowry running off screens. That was fun.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
              My concerns are Siakam's secondary moves. Sorry to be the debbie-downer, but I think teams will start to make him a point of emphasis.
              Teams have a lot to worry about with Lowry, Leonard, Ibaka, and covering Green. Teams will of course try to force him to settle for jumpers but they do that already. He'll continue to have opportunities cause he's way down on opponents' list of concerns. Like any young player, teams will over time make adjustments and will learn how to stop him and then he will either adjust, and continue an upward trend, or he won't and will settle in to what he is.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Teams have a lot to worry about with Lowry, Leonard, Ibaka, and covering Green. Teams will of course try to force him to settle for jumpers but they do that already. He'll continue to have opportunities cause he's way down on opponents' list of concerns. Like any young player, teams will over time make adjustments and will learn how to stop him and then he will either adjust, and continue an upward trend, or he won't and will settle in to what he is.
                Yeah, and if teams make Siakam a point of emphasis that likely opens up something for Lowry or Kawhi. So I welcome that eventuality. Essentially having Siakam provide the spacing we'd be hoping for if he developed a three point shot.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  That's because he sucked his rookie year
                  All rookies suck. That's why young teams don't win. It's called having foresight. Pascal flashed all of this the last two years. With Raps and 905. With the way the game was going there was no way he wasn't going to succeed. That's why I always went to bat for him.

Same thing with Yak he is going to be so good. Even though everybody wanted Sabonis over him.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    All rookies suck. That's why young teams don't win. It's called having foresight. Pascal flashed all of this the last two years. With Raps and 905. With the way the game was going there was no way he wasn't going to succeed. That's why I always went to bat for him.

Same thing with Yak he is going to be so good. Even though everybody wanted Sabonis over him.
                    He didn't flash these skills in his rookie year though. He couldn't shoot (still can't), couldn't pass, couldn't dribble, couldn't lead a fast break, didn't have a spin move, etc.

The only thing he did flash in his rookie year was the off-the-charts defensive hustle. So if you were able to see a future Draymond based on this single trait, then kudos....because nobody else on the planet did.

"I knew Jose Bautista would be a star the moment he was drafted!" lol

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Nov 8, 2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      He didn't flash these skills in his rookie year though. He couldn't shoot (still can't), couldn't pass, couldn't dribble, couldn't lead a fast break, didn't have a spin move, etc.

The only thing he did flash in his rookie year was the off-the-charts defensive hustle. So if you were able to see a future Draymond based on this single trait, then kudos....because nobody else on the planet did.

"I knew Jose Bautista would be a star the moment he was drafted!" lol

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
                      Actually, the scout who pushed for Bautista's draft graded him 70 power ( on baseball's 20-80 scale) and got the Pirates to cough up more than a half million dollar bonus. The power never showed up in Pittsburgh and the scout got fired.

As for Pascal, it wasn't so much that no one saw him being this good. Almost to a man, we were sure he was a terrible pick. sanyo was the only poster I remember who liked the pick at the time of the draft and that TRex guy said he trusted Masai, but everyone else in the draft thread seemed to know Masai picked the wrong guy. That most posters were sure of.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Actually, the scout who pushed for Bautista's draft graded him 70 power ( on baseball's 20-80 scale) and got the Pirates to cough up more than a half million dollar bonus. The power never showed up in Pittsburgh and the scout got fired.

As for Pascal, it wasn't so much that no one saw him being this good. Almost to a man, we were sure he was a terrible pick. sanyo was the only poster I remember who liked the pick at the time of the draft and that TRex guy said he trusted Masai, but everyone else in the draft thread seemed to know Masai picked the wrong guy. That most posters were sure of.
                        Was the scout's name, Chr1s1anL?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          High five to Masai for bringing in the 905'ers. Without having our own G-League team I'd wonder where Pascal would be now? Or Fred for that matter.
                          Definitely gotta co-sign this. I didn't become high on Fred or especially Siakam until I was watching them play on the 905 and essentially saw the improvements.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• I remember checking out Pascal’s highlights and stats after he was drafted and being pretty impressed. A few others were well aware of him. He’s obviously improved but he had some good tools in his toolbox coming in, and showed plenty of flashes as a rookie.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              I remember checking out PascalÂ’s highlights and stats after he was drafted and being pretty impressed. A few others were well aware of him. HeÂ’s obviously improved but he had some good tools in his toolbox coming in, and showed plenty of flashes as a rookie.
                              Pretty much at the time 99% of Raptor fans were upset at the draft (myself included) that Masai didnt pick Labissiere instead. Majority of Raps fans even described the draft as being "average". As it turned out, it was the best multipick (3 or more ) drafts in Raptors history ( FVV was part of the draft process and although not selected, convincing him to sign with the Raptors is still a draft day win)

Reminder of awful multipick years:
                              2005- Charlie V, Joey Graham, Ukic & Slokar
                              2006 - Bargnani, PJ Tucker, Bavicic
                              2014 - Caboclo, Daniels & Thames.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                Pretty much at the time 99% of Raptor fans were upset at the draft (myself included) that Masai didnt pick Labissiere instead. Majority of Raps fans even described the draft as being "average". As it turned out, it was the best multipick (3 or more ) drafts in Raptors history ( FVV was part of the draft process and although not selected, convincing him to sign with the Raptors is still a draft day win)

Reminder of awful multipick years:
                                2005- Charlie V, Joey Graham, Ukic & Slokar
                                2006 - Bargnani, PJ Tucker, Bavicic
                                2014 - Caboclo, Daniels & Thames.
                                Relatively reasonable discussion of the Pascal pick starts here: https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/s...=siakam+poeltl

(although "Biyombo with a shooting stroke" is not exactly accurate)

Comment

Working...
                                X