Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane
    replied
    lebron/Davis, lebron/Wade, Shaq/Kobe, Curry/Durant, Kahhi/Paul George, Westbrook/Harden and soon Durant/Irving aren't just "high end talent joining a top 10 guy" imo

I love Siakam and he has the chance to be something special. But I feel he's still a ways away from being seen as the type of elite talent that attracts others....just being honest. The hope is turns into that by the time Giannis is making his next move because he seems like the type that doesn't feel the need to lust after LA or New York

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Actually, our "abundance of depth" turned out to be fool's gold in the playoffs last year. We basically ended up with 5 starters + Serge at one point in the Philly series. Same thing with the Bucks, when we played Mirotic, Ilyasova and Bledsoe right off the floor. Depth is a nice luxury to help you get through the season unscathed and for trades.

But back to Pascal.... the massive win here is that he's already being perceived by the mainstream media as being a top 10 player - barely 1 month into the season. That's huuuuge, when it comes to recruiting other elite players to play with you. That's what all these NBA superstar free agents are looking for. And by 2021 he's going to be entering his prime.
    Oh for sure, by "abundant depth" I mean solid rotation players that can get you through the regular season by mitigating team injuries, helping to keep the team afloat and to attain higher playoff seeds. In the post-season itself every team/rotation will shrink to a smaller core of 3 or 4 players that will actually carry you (or if you're a bit deeper like we were last year, maybe 5 or 6). However, If you don't have a solid "regular season depth", and have just the superstar plus no-one, you run the risk of sputtering really early in the playoffs, or sometimes not even making it (like last year's Lakers of solo Lebron, Davis's NOLA, or Westbrook's OKC).

As for Siakam, you bring a good/underrated point: In today's NBA, having a top 10 guy already in your roster (homegrown no less), is massive in terms of your ability to attract another high end free agent to play here

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yeah that is pretty cool. Starting to hear more and more Siakam's name in different places when they talk about MVPs and stuff. If you really need a top 7ish player in the league plus a solid supporting team to contend, with a quarter of the season played, it looks like we got that.

Siakam is visibly growing by the month. Growth is never linear and there will always be duds like yesterday, precisely because not only he's the No.1 on opposing scouting reports, but his own coaches put him on increasingly challenging situations to stimulate his growth even further. The reality is though his game has been exploding in many different ways.

As a team, the sense that I get now is similar to what I felt at the beginning of last year: It sounds crazy to think that there is such a thing as "too much depth", but sometimes that's the feeling.

Last year Nick dealt with this "abundance of depth" by experimenting a lot, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way (including me), but in the end it worked. This year, there's less experimenting, but the challenges in incorporating 12 players that can all play impactful minutes in single rotation remains. Good problems to have
    Actually, our "abundance of depth" turned out to be fool's gold in the playoffs last year. We basically ended up with 5 starters + Serge at one point in the Philly series. Same thing with the Bucks, when we played Mirotic, Ilyasova and Bledsoe right off the floor. Depth is a nice luxury to help you get through the season unscathed and for trades.

But back to Pascal.... the massive win here is that he's already being perceived by the mainstream media as being a top 10 player - barely 1 month into the season. That's huuuuge, when it comes to recruiting other elite players to play with you. That's what all these NBA superstar free agents are looking for. And by 2021 he's going to be entering his prime.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    There will be nights like last night, but this is pretty cool....

Thats my five as well, although I'd put luka ahead of lebron.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied

Yeah that is pretty cool. Starting to hear more and more Siakam's name in different places when they talk about MVPs and stuff. If you really need a top 7ish player in the league plus a solid supporting team to contend, with a quarter of the season played, it looks like we got that.

Siakam is visibly growing by the month. Growth is never linear and there will always be duds like yesterday, precisely because not only he's the No.1 on opposing scouting reports, but his own coaches put him on increasingly challenging situations to stimulate his growth even further. The reality is though his game has been exploding in many different ways.

As a team, the sense that I get now is similar to what I felt at the beginning of last year: It sounds crazy to think that there is such a thing as "too much depth", but sometimes that's the feeling.

Last year Nick dealt with this "abundance of depth" by experimenting a lot, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way (including me), but in the end it worked. This year, there's less experimenting, but the challenges in incorporating 12 players that can all play impactful minutes in single rotation remains. Good problems to have

Leave a comment:

• RandomGuy
    replied
    Growing pains, Siakam is going "to be good, man". He needs to be in those situations in the first place, now he is. The next step, develop moves to counter them. Knowing his development progress, that's a matter of how soon.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Wow, a list with 4 generational players

and James harden

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    just listened to the Simmons podcast where they we're ranking their top ten. Not much doubt about the top six (in no particular order, Doncic, Kawhi, Lebron, Giannis, Davis and Harden). I kind of expected him to go with one of his Celtics to round out the top ten but both him and his guest agreed on Siakam as number 7. It's crazy what he has become and that there was ever some debate (if there was) about giving him the max. They brought up another interesting point when they talked about him and MIP....shouldn't we be talking about VanVleet for MIP?
    Yes on all accounts.

FVV should be in the MIP, though I'd doubt he'd win. His raw per game numbers are seeing big jumps but a lot of that is due to a massive spike in his role/usage jumping into the starting lineup and now with Lowry out for weeks. Some of that will level out a bit when Lowry's back for the remainder of the season.

But just raw numbers aside, the fact that Fred's been asked not just to step into the starting lineup as a complimentary player but now to step in for 5x All-Star Kyle Lowry - Fred's been amazing. That's a huge leap in role and he's been great. I'm not sure why we're not more hyped about him, he seems to draw skeptics and fans in equal measure even after everything he's done on-court.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    just listened to the Simmons podcast where they we're ranking their top ten. Not much doubt about the top six (in no particular order, Doncic, Kawhi, Lebron, Giannis, Davis and Harden). I kind of expected him to go with one of his Celtics to round out the top ten but both him and his guest agreed on Siakam as number 7. It's crazy what he has become and that there was ever some debate (if there was) about giving him the max. They brought up another interesting point when they talked about him and MIP....shouldn't we be talking about VanVleet for MIP?

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Pascal deserves his own thread as well. For a 27th pick, it's incredible that we can basically pencil him in for significant production with the 2nd unit this year. He's one of the best open court rim runners in the league, has a motor that won't quit, and comes across as a first class teammate/young man. The big question is whether he can be an impact defender in just his 2nd season.

He doesn't get enough talk.

Maybe we have a large enough sample size we can revisit this again?

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Winner.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Damn, Pascal is such a likable star.

Leave a comment:

replied

That Dude

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    "And according to Nurse, the best is yet to come for the athletic forward who won last season’s most improved player award.
    “I say it all the time, with Pascal, he shoots the ball pretty well. But he’s still 18 months or 24 months away from being really good,” Nurse said.”

And he has five months left in this season (excluding the playoffs) to get better based on additional experience. I wonder what his production will be like in the playoffs this year. Looking forward to finding out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X