X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post

The three no brainers are Kyle, VC and Masai. Masai's name 100% should be up in the rafters one day

Siakam is in the DeMar and Kawhi category. I think they should retire his number but there are various reasons like you said on why they shouldn't.

Maybe create a level of excellency or something. The Blue Jays did not retire Carter, Bautista, Delgado etc numbers but their names are in the level of excellency
    do teams retire exec's jersey's? if so i agree with you he's a no brainer but i didn't know it was a thing.

pascal separates himself to me from demar and kawhi as a no brainer for being a long-time raptor who accomplished a lot individually but also was an invaluable contributor to the chip

kawhi was obviously the biggest contributor but also spurned the franchise and bolted for LA the first chance he got

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    what about Bosh?

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    G____Deane wrote: View Post

Yes for Lowry and Pascal. Jersey retirements should be rare and for epic players. Toronto may never have one (hopefuly Scottie one day) if not for them but it feels weird to do it for just really good players.

I'm on the fence with DeMar because he never really accomplished anything here. He's a wall of fame kind of guy.
    I'm a no for Vince
    I'm a no for Kawhi becuase he wouldn't even care.
    i think saying demar didn't accomplish anything is a bit of an uncharitable reading. conference finals ain't nothing and those pre-chip teams were really good. plus he's got all the career totals.

vince's argument is less about on-court accomplishments and more about off the court influence and putting the franchise on the map.

i tend to agree with you about kawhi

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    G____Deane wrote: View Post

Yes for Lowry and Pascal. Jersey retirements should be rare and for epic players. Toronto may never have one (hopefuly Scottie one day) if not for them but it feels weird to do it for just really good players.

I'm on the fence with DeMar because he never really accomplished anything here. He's a wall of fame kind of guy.
    I'm a no for Vince
    The only 2 numbers that the Raps have protected are #7 and #10. No one has worn either number since Kyle and Demar left, respectively. Leonard's #2 is currently in use and Vince's #15 was used multiple times though not since 2019.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

i hear you and am with you for the most part i think. kyle and pascal are the two no brainers as long-time raptors who made multiple all-star and/or all-nba teams that were essential pieces of the best teams in franchise history.

demar, vince, and kawhi i'm all unsure about for various reasons, but if one of them get in i think the other two should also get in. depends on how exclusive we want to make the club i guess
    The three no brainers are Kyle, VC and Masai. Masai's name 100% should be up in the rafters one day

Siakam is in the DeMar and Kawhi category. I think they should retire his number but there are various reasons like you said on why they shouldn't.

Maybe create a level of excellency or something. The Blue Jays did not retire Carter, Bautista, Delgado etc numbers but their names are in the level of excellency

Leave a comment:

• G____Deane
    replied

i hear you and am with you for the most part i think. kyle and pascal are the two no brainers as long-time raptors who made multiple all-star and/or all-nba teams that were essential pieces of the best teams in franchise history.

demar, vince, and kawhi i'm all unsure about for various reasons, but if one of them get in i think the other two should also get in. depends on how exclusive we want to make the club i guess

I'm a no for Vince

Leave a comment:

• G____Deane
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Best goodbye letter ever for a lot of reasons.

When he returns with the Pacers, I'll be standing up and cheering for him as hard as I did even for Lowry and DeMar.
    Just a good dude that gave his all for this team. Forever a Raptor.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Okay wasn't sure. Likely because we don't have one up there. But I'd have #7 and #43 there for sure. Still not entirely sold on #10. And I'm a big no on #15.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

is that a minority opinion? it shouldn't be!
    Okay wasn't sure. Likely because we don't have one up there. But I'd have #7 and #43 there for sure. Still not entirely sold on #10. And I'm a big no on #15.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Yeah I'm in the minority probably but I'd hang #43 in the rafters one day.
    is that a minority opinion? it shouldn't be!

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Yeah I'm in the minority probably but I'd hang #43 in the rafters one day.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Wow this was great from Pascal.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/po...nba-basketball

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

I'm making a slightly different point. MLSE knew about the tax crunch 2 years ago. The front office knew two years ago. So, yes, every team in the NBA is eyeing those tax rules and acting accordingly but that's always been the case for all but ~3 teams.

My point is that MLSE on both the NHL and NBA sides have often let guys get to FA and then do deals. It's had mixed results. The Leafs just paid Nylander bags of $$$ cause they had no choice they left it so late in the day. You can decide to pay $ or not but leaving the decisions to the last minute is what needs to change.
    Sid mentioned the same thing on BT this morning. It's been an MLSE trend that needs to stop. Don't wait until they are free agents. Act sooner. Or else you are either over paying or losing guys for nothing. Make those decisions quicker.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

It was about the money.... because it almost always is. MLSE ownership always make sure they steer clear of the tax, years in advance.
    I'm making a slightly different point. MLSE knew about the tax crunch 2 years ago. The front office knew two years ago. So, yes, every team in the NBA is eyeing those tax rules and acting accordingly but that's always been the case for all but ~3 teams.

My point is that MLSE on both the NHL and NBA sides have often let guys get to FA and then do deals. It's had mixed results. The Leafs just paid Nylander bags of $$$ cause they had no choice they left it so late in the day. You can decide to pay $ or not but leaving the decisions to the last minute is what needs to change.

Leave a comment:

• G____Deane
    replied
    I'm going to be sad posting how Siakam is tearing it up in the Raptor's alumni thread....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X