Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Pretty much at the time 99% of Raptor fans were upset at the draft (myself included) that Masai didnt pick Labissiere instead. Majority of Raps fans even described the draft as being "average". As it turned out, it was the best multipick (3 or more ) drafts in Raptors history ( FVV was part of the draft process and although not selected, convincing him to sign with the Raptors is still a draft day win)

Reminder of awful multipick years:
    2005- Charlie V, Joey Graham, Ukic & Slokar
    2006 - Bargnani, PJ Tucker, Bavicic
    2014 - Caboclo, Daniels & Thames.
    Raptors fans wanted Skal and Chriss. We ended up with a trade piece for Kawhi and Siakam.

This is why we can't GM as good as we think we can GM.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      Pretty much at the time 99% of Raptor fans were upset at the draft (myself included) that Masai didnt pick Labissiere instead. Majority of Raps fans even described the draft as being "average". As it turned out, it was the best multipick (3 or more ) drafts in Raptors history ( FVV was part of the draft process and although not selected, convincing him to sign with the Raptors is still a draft day win)

Reminder of awful multipick years:
      2005- Charlie V, Joey Graham, Ukic & Slokar
      2006 - Bargnani, PJ Tucker, Bavicic
      2014 - Caboclo, Daniels & Thames.
      Lol, looking back at that draft, there are 10 eventual Raptors on the list.

Comment

• Hey, Charlie V. put up 48/18/4/4/4 that one game, that was amazing.

A guy with his size and skill set would probably go even higher in a draft now.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Raptors fans wanted Skal and Chriss. We ended up with a trade piece for Kawhi and Siakam.

This is why we can't GM as good as we think we can GM.
          I remember there being a "clear top eight" in the draft, which included Chriss, Bender and Dunn.

Poeltl turned out to be a perfectly fine pick compared to those who were picked directly after him (Maker, Sabonis, Prince).

Siakam was a home run. Players picked ahead of him include Georgios Papagiannis (wyd Kings?), Wade Baldwin, Henry Ellenson, Malik Beasley, Ante Zizic, Brice Johnson and Malachi Richardson (lol). The only really standout picks after Siakam were Dejounte Murray and Malcolm Brogdon
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            Relatively reasonable discussion of the Pascal pick starts here: https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/s...=siakam+poeltl

(although "Biyombo with a shooting stroke" is not exactly accurate)
            For some fun, I just scrolled back to around post #7080, which is when the immediate reactions to the Siakam pick happened. Here's a general overview of everyone's knee-jerk opinions (including mine):

DanH wrote: View Post
            I give up.
            007 wrote: View Post
            What is this draft
            Scraptor wrote: View Post
            Wtf masai
            golden wrote: View Post
            Where am I? WTF just happened?
            MACK11 wrote: View Post
            What the fuuuck
            Just Is wrote: View Post
            Who the f*ck?

Seriously...what the hell is going on?
            KHD wrote: View Post
            LOL hahahahahahahahha
            BreakingBradStevens wrote: View Post
            Kill me now...
            Jangles wrote: View Post
            Wow what the fuck
            tDotted wrote: View Post
            Fuck Masai man, holy
            yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
            Fuk the raptors man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Fuck Ujiri man fuck man
            Primer wrote: View Post
            This draft is poop
            Mindlessness wrote: View Post
            I trust Masai but still...

end my misery pls.

Davis was on the board... Davis nooooooooooooo
            white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            If I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd be so fucked up right now
            MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            fucking always trying to reinvent the fucking wheel. Fuck man such sucky draft
            Barolt wrote: View Post
            Masai drafted an African player with a huge wingspan. Not sure why we didn't see this coming.
            Mack North wrote: View Post
            In Masai I Trust... until the wheels fall off!

But WTF with these off the board picks...?
            Primer wrote: View Post
            So, we got two guys with no offense who can rebound. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt

This sucks
            Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
            Wtf kinda shit is this

I thought Poeltl was a bad pick but this??

Fuck off Masai
            Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
            I swear MU is just bigging up his basketball without borders camps... giving out guaranteed money to nobodies
            What the fuck are you even thinking with this pick? You have 3 dudes projected to be in the lottery who are sitting on your lap and you pick fucking Pascal who I don't even remember being on any draft boards. I'm so pissed
            Bandit wrote: View Post
            lmao well then... At least he keeps us guessing.

This draft has thoroughly plowed through my brain
            slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
            And of course Skal goes with the next pick..... Fuck

There were a few people who were fully on board:

sanyo wrote: View Post
            Pascal! NICCE!!
            c-troop wrote: View Post
            Paaaascaaaaaaaaaal!!!!!!!
            BobbySwizz wrote: View Post
            I REALLY like Siakam. I think he'll be a steal
            Pascal looks better than Davis or Skal guys.
            Fury wrote: View Post
            There's a reason Skal and Davis are still on the board. The overreaction here is hilarious.
            relax masai has done a lot more scouting than you.
            Fury wrote: View Post
            Projected by who? the "so called" experts?

I have complete trust in Masai.
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
              For some fun, I just scrolled back to around post #7080, which is when the immediate reactions to the Siakam pick happened. Here's a general overview of everyone's knee-jerk opinions (including mine):

Good post, except the fact that it will help T Rexs ego. T Rex needs an ego boost like Kyle Lowry needs booty

The best quote was sanyo "Relax, Masai has done a lot more scouting than you"

Armchair GMs lol

Comment

• Fucking Masai really did reinvent the wheel
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post

This is why you don't overreact. Masai and his staff actually scouted these players, some of you on the other hand just forms an opinion based on articles that you read about all these players.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Hey at least I was right about this

I'm 100% confident I'm going to like the 27th pick more than 9th
                    Last edited by tDotted; Thu Nov 8, 2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Ay man, I was full aboard with my "in Masai I trust" bit. i remember buddies texting me and i had to tell them to shut up and relax.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        I remember checking out Pascal’s highlights and stats after he was drafted and being pretty impressed. A few others were well aware of him. He’s obviously improved but he had some good tools in his toolbox coming in, and showed plenty of flashes as a rookie.
                        I think what helped Siakam's career was when he was forced to start due to Sullinger's back and not wanting to start Patterson. He got some real, important minutes which was a catalyst for his development. He had the tools coming in, especially physically with length and mobility, but those games to start were eye-opening moments for him to understand where he had/has to refine his game.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• To be fair, I was upset about the Poeltl pick, the Siakam pick I was excited about for the same reason people were pissed about: wingspan, mobile, etc. Masai loves those type of guys, and it's paid off aside from Bruno.

Delon, Poeltl (who was solid here, esp. defensively), Siakam, OG... I also still can't believe OG fell to the Raptors. He was a projected top-10, with many saying top-5 potential, prior to the knee injury. Seems like OG is well on his way. Pascal is better than many of those guys drafted, too.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                            I think what helped Siakam's career was when he was forced to start due to Sullinger's back and not wanting to start Patterson. He got some real, important minutes which was a catalyst for his development. He had the tools coming in, especially physically with length and mobility, but those games to start were eye-opening moments for him to understand where he had/has to refine his game.
                            You're coming dangerously close to giving Casey credit. That's a paddlin around here.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              You're coming dangerously close to giving Casey credit. That's a paddlin around here.
                              I would say Masai is more to credit for his inability to pickup someone more capable at the time at the four spot in 2017, and forcing a younger roster on Casey's hand last season by getting rid of Cojo, Patterson, etc., opening up the time for VanVleet/Delon/Pascal.

Comment

• But TO BE FAIR to myself and everyone else that didn't like the pick at the time; it wasn't really Siakam that was the problem.

Pretty much the whole board was fixated on Labissiere, Davis & Sabonis and concluded these were the best choices for us to take at #9. General reasoning was we needed someone to play beside JV and these were the best players to do it. The ONE GUY that was almost unanimously decided to be a poor choice was Poeltl. And that's exactly who we took.

THIS is what set a lot of people off already for the night. If you look further in that thread, there are only a couple of people that liked that pick (BPA) with everyone else hating it. (I took it a little too far by calling him a bust that very night LOL)

Fast forward and the remaining favourites (Davis and Skal) are still on the board at 27. Seems like a pure stroke of luck and the basketball gods finally doing us a favor.

That's when Masai takes a guy who most people weren't informed about before them. I think we can all agree that we had flashbacks to the 2015 draft when we took Bruno out of nowhere in front of more well known draft prospects.

Poeltl's questionable fit on the team (at the time) and the PTSD of the Bruno pick is basically what did a lot of people in on draft night.

I guess this is just a long winded way of saying, I was wrong lol
                                Last edited by tDotted; Thu Nov 8, 2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X