• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncontested jumpers in the gym SZN
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
      Pascals biggest jump will come if he can get a consistent mid range/ step back jumper. I think that would be his best way to become ungauradable rather then model his game around giannis style. Pascal is so dangerous driving to the rim. Defender will give him space to defend the drive so if he could hit the mid range or fake a drive then hit the step back jumper no one would be able to guard him. If you play him loose he hits the jumper if you get tight on him pascal can drive on you and hit you with the spin move. Add an improved 3 pt shot and i could see him averaging 25 pts a game.
      I agree

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

That’s actually pretty cool. He’s trending the right way, we just don’t know what the ceiling is. Do you pay him based on this season or what he might be in the future? I would think somewhere in between.
        I disagree on projection based salaries.
        This is one of the league's biggest problems.
        This is how we get the Wigginses of the world.
        Pay them according to their current value,
        make them earn their pay,
        Make them stay hungry, motivated so they keep proving us and themselves.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

And lose them to someone who pays a five year contract based on expected production in years 3, 4, and 5.

You pay them based on your own demonstrated expertise in projecting player development which is guided by league norms and informed by your own personal experience in your (or your staff's) successful past performance. This is an art, not a science.

The only two quibbles in Masai's Raptors resume so far are Caboclo and Powell. And I think Norm could come through for the team this year. Based on the most recent playoffs and also on the current roster. He seems to thrive on continuity.

Bruno was a flyer. High risk and high reward. No big deal. And worth the shot in my opinion. A similar gamble with Boucher may pay off much better. Personally I think anyone prediciting a ceiling for Siakim is just spouting shit. Very few players follow a trend line like his, in terms of development and then crash into a ceiling. They generate curves that eventually plateau. His curve isn't even starting to arc towards a levelling off place. Extend him now. Just my opinion.

Comment

Meh, for that logic to work you have to stick with one year contracts.

But for all the Wigginses, there's sometimes a Curry, and when a team strikes it rich on a deal like that it can be the foundation of a dynasty. So you can see why teams will gladly take the risk of a Wiggins.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Meh, for that logic to work you have to stick with one year contracts.

But for all the Wigginses, there's sometimes a Curry, and when a team strikes it rich on a deal like that it can be the foundation of a dynasty. So you can see why teams will gladly take the risk of a Wiggins.
              What I'm saying is that this ridiculous practice should change.
              projection is a hit or miss, either way teams are stuck with the contract.

Comment

Isn’t that the point of having good management as opposed to bad management?

Comment

• nah, ya bridge him just past the years where the huge fish are available in free agency, make him prove he is worth money. He was good this year, but he is doing a lot of it with youthful energy, take half a step from Siakam and a couple vert inches and he is barely a starter. There has to be more.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    nah, ya bridge him just past the years where the huge fish are available in free agency, make him prove he is worth money. He was good this year, but he is doing a lot of it with youthful energy, take half a step from Siakam and a couple vert inches and he is barely a starter. There has to be more.
                    Bridge him? Like, offer a short term deal? I guess if your goal is to alienate your young star, lose that asset as early as possible, and just generally do the worst possible thing, I guess that's one way to go.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

But why should it change? Teams don't want it to change, players don't want it to change... Who benefits, exactly, from it changing?
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Bridge him? Like, offer a short term deal? I guess if your goal is to alienate your young star, lose that asset as early as possible, and just generally do the worst possible thing, I guess that's one way to go.
                        Thats what they did with VanVleet, worked just fine.

Comment

Debatable and also not the same thing.

Comment

VanVleet
                            Siakim

One of these things is not like the other.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

VanVleet
                              Siakim

One of these things is not like the other.
                              One has their name spelled incorrectly?

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

One has their name spelled incorrectly?
                                HaHaHa. Well, that too. But I was thinking of the years of basketball Fred has played (since he was 8 I think, and through 4 years of college and now 3 seasons in the G League and NBA (17 years?). As opposed to Pascal, who started when he was 17 and is now 25, with 8 years experience of playing organized ball.

I have no doubt Fred can continue to improve, but he already has a lot of hours on the court. Your improvement at any physical activity follows a more or less predictable trajectory and it is directly related to the number of hours you spend getting reps in. Obviously, genetics is huge, but simple repetition is also huge. Pascal isn't anywhere near having the hours in to top out yet. He could hit a new tier over the next year or two. You don't screw around with him or try and play him in any way. he is now at the point where there should be close consultations with him, his agent and Webster about his coming contracts, so both sides are on the same page. Promises need to be made and honoured.

Comment

Working...
                                X