• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Ha, merge please

Sooooooooooooooo where's that merger!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      What's the likelihood that Pascal can average 5-6 assists a game this season? I think he needs to focus on facilitation and his midrange shots to have (and for the team to have) success. Nurse could start the season out pushing the transition game, but that is relatively easily scouted and prepped for. If one or two trailers are always pacing Pascal's runs down the court there will be some easy baskets for the trailers initially. I would expect the Raptors to automatically position two guys in the corner every time Siakim makes a move to the basket. That is going to be harder to defend if he begins the season getting assists.

I hope one or two of the new guys become dependable from 3. Could change the whole season for the Raptors if they can manage to have three shooters on the floor with Siakim all the time.
      So I'm still working on educating myself on the game here. Buuuuuuuut Kawhi Leonard was successful and our number one option last year while only averaging 3.3 assists for the regular season. Why does Pascal need more?! He's not the same guy Kawhi is, buuuut if he's going to be the number one guy - is simply increasing his one on one scoring efficiency an option, or even a remote possibility? Or is it just such that Kawhi is unique in his own way. Maybe I've answered my own question here, Pascal's just not the same iso scorer Kawhi is? But then, maybe he could get closer.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
        ...Or is it just such that Kawhi is unique in his own way. Maybe I've answered my own question here, Pascal's just not the same iso scorer Kawhi is? But then, maybe he could get closer.
        Kawhi's offense has a very high gravity. To stop him required a very special defender, on a good day, or multiple defenders. Even then, Kawhi has the strength and body control to make the basket. Pascal doesn't presently have that kind of strength or control. He was effectively shut down in several games during the playoffs, typically by double teams when Kawhi was off the floor. If Pascal's assists go up, because he has learned to see those double teams forming and has learned to make the pass as soon as a teammate is open, he gets more opportunities to score one on one, which he can do pretty effectively. He moves towards having that higher gravity, drawing double teams more frequently, giving him the opportunity for increased assists (Raptors continue scoring when he is double teamed). This all helps compensate for the loss of Kawhi.

It is the same reasoning for him to improve his midrange shot. Other teams are giving him those shots because they don't mind giving up the inefficient midrange two attempt as opposed to an at the basket two plus a foul shot or an outside three pointer. If his efficiency in the midrange goes up, then he starts pulling defenders closer to him, leaving a man open somewhere for an easy three or dunk.

I have finally conceded the importance of effective field goal % and the nuanced game of where each player takes their shots and how the coach gets each player to take shots from "their spots."

Comment

• Remember when all we wanted was for the team to pass the ball and not have DeMar in iso's all the time? Well we get our wish now out of necessity. Gasol will have more room to find open players with Kawhi gone so fingers crossed the movement will be fluid.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            Remember when all we wanted was for the team to pass the ball and not have DeMar in iso's all the time? Well we get our wish now out of necessity. Gasol will have more room to find open players with Kawhi gone so fingers crossed the movement will be fluid.
            Yup, and it could go pretty well, in the regular season especially. Then, in crunch time/playoffs, high pick and roll is still a thing that is hard to defend.

Comment

• Comment

• Will be interesting to see what "max level" means, or even if it goes down as suggested there. Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Raptors to lock into anything now. Frankly they'd be better off to offer a shorter term deal, line him up for an early 35% max pay day, in exchange for short term reduced cap hit.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Thought for sure they would wait until next season to give themselves more flexibility. Of course, if they offer the contract now, that sends a certain message as well. Trust Masai and Bobby.

Comment

• Is it just deja vu or some of these media guys love to treat what they personally think it's gonna happen as "almost a certainty"? Last time I heard "almost a certainty" and "99.9%", it didn't turn out well

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                      Is it just deja vu or some of these media guys love to treat what they personally think it's gonna happen as "almost a certainty"? Last time I heard "almost a certainty" and "99.9%", it didn't turn out well
                      too soon dammit
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Is it going to be the same amount that Murray and Simmons got? E.g. 5 years @ 170M? Gulp. I love Pascal, but at $34M per year.... the expectations are going to be sky high.

BTW - Kings and Celtics are offering Buddy and Jaylen Brown 4 year deals in the 20-25M/yr range. Is Pascal worth $10M/year more than those guys?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Is it going to be the same amount that Murray and Simmons got? E.g. 5 years @ 170M? Gulp. I love Pascal, but at $34M per year.... the expectations are going to be sky high.

BTW - Kings and Celtics are offering Buddy and Jaylen Brown 4 year deals in the 20-25M/yr range. Is Pascal worth $10M/year more than those guys?
                          I don't think so....yet. NBA money has gone stupid crazy high as I've already said is the case for Kyle imo.
                          Make it a round ball and a square net ..... THEN you got something

Comment

Is it going to be the same amount that Murray and Simmons got? E.g. 5 years @ 170M? Gulp. I love Pascal, but at $34M per year.... the expectations are going to be sky high.

No Pascal is not worth more, but he's gonna get paid more.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I would say no... but he's a far far better defender than Buddy Hield (who I really like) and his offense is somewhat more diversified and suited for a premier scorer's skill set, but that is merely potential, not yet realized, and therefore increases his market value while also increases the risk of signing him to such a contract). And IMO, there really isn't a comparison between those two and Jaylen Brown.

Comment

• Spicy doing new Google Nest ads now. Dude will make decent bank in Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X