Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    So according to a Blake Murphy article, the media was told he had some shoulder injury on April 18th. He had missed two games (the 16th and 18th, but played again on April 21). He played 10 straight, averaging about 37 mpg before hurting his shoulder again on May 8th against Memphis. That's when we didn't see him again.

Did we play him when we were trying to tank? Not that it mattered much.. we won only 3 of those 10 games so it didn't help or hurt the tank.. just more so that we played him, while hurt, in a throw away season.

Failure on McKechnie here? Or maybe the shoulder injury was minor enough at that point that we just let him play through it.

Either way could have been a costly decision by our front office / training staff in hindsight.

Hope he recovers okay and can get some reps in before the season starts up again.
    I don't think its a failure on Mckechnie. Shoulders are tricky. You usually can try to let it heal and manage it with different forms of treatment. and then you reevaluate.

Comment

• Exactly. I think this is closer to who he is going to be this year. He'll have better support on the floor as well.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Exactly. I think this is closer to who he is going to be this year. He'll have better support on the floor as well.
        him and OG with the right team around them is literally unstoppable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zERLjPcozLU

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

him and OG with the right team around them is literally unstoppable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zERLjPcozLU
          Nice find. Siakam is an outstanding defender. Even throughout his deeper struggles on offence in the bubble that was always there with him.

That doesn't get talked about much because there's so much attention scrutinizing his offence, but Siakam's defence is pretty outstanding. The combination of length, speed, footwork (some of the instincts he developed early on from soccer), and the timing on individual and team defence he developed under Nurse is quite rare in the league. When we get him and OG on switches (plus Fred pestering down low) is very difficult to create space around them as an opposing ball handler or big.

The "by the numbers" breakdown on his video shows high impact on very different areas of defence (interior, perimeter, steals, blocked shots, opponent FG% etc..). The last line stood out for me, held Lillard, Westbrook, Tatum and Embiid (two guards, a wing and a Centre) to a combined 12-35 last season (34 FG%).

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Nice find. Siakam is an outstanding defender. Even throughout his deeper struggles on offence in the bubble that was always there with him.

That doesn't get talked about much because there's so much attention scrutinizing his offence, but Siakam's defence is pretty outstanding. The combination of length, speed, footwork (some of the instincts he developed early on from soccer), and the timing on individual and team defence he developed under Nurse is quite rare in the league. When we get him and OG on switches (plus Fred pestering down low) is very difficult to create space around them as an opposing ball handler or big.

The "by the numbers" breakdown on his video shows high impact on very different areas of defence (interior, perimeter, steals, blocked shots, opponent FG% etc..). The last line stood out for me, held Lillard, Westbrook, Tatum and Embiid (two guards, a wing and a Centre) to a combined 12-35 last season (34 FG%).
            Good points, about OG being a pest.

Comment

• I will admit that Pascal did seem to take a lot of defensive possessions off this season. Probably because he got winded a lot quicker. But in the playoffs against the Celtics he may have been our best defender.. or just as good as OG was.

Comment

I think Siakam has become really under rated. He had a really bad year coming off a terrible bubble experience. But he had some quality games. That Laker game for example where he was on fire. He scored around 35 while also shutting down AD. That's the guy we were excited about last season when he got into the second all-nba team (and that was legitimate). He was a top 15 player that year.. and that was without Kawhi.

What changed? Well the most drastic thing was covid. He wasn't energized by a home crowd. And he was a kid that played with a lot of energy. Tampa started poorly as well. The worst thing about Pascal last season was how anti clutch he was.. but he was super clutch the season prior. It was just a really bad year.. it's like someone had cursed him.

I just feel bad about the kid. Yeah he's 27 but he started the game late.. and guys play until their 36-37 now.

He's not a #1 star.. but there are only a handful of those.

I don't trade Siakam for a prospect that hasn't panned out yet.. or some future picks. You trade him for another star like we did with DeMar. I'd want to see what he's like back in Toronto again.

I've said this a lot now.. but go look at his shooting splits in Toronto and then on the road (including the bubble and Tampa). It's night and day. He's like a 40%+ shooter in Toronto.

I suspect he'll be an all-star next year again.
                Will Pascal be an all-star next season? This is his competition in the front-court:

Sure-fire Locks: Durant, Giannis, Tatum and Embiid

Previous all-stars: Butler, Bam, Vucevic, Randle, Middleton, Sabonis, Hayward

Potential first-time all-stars: Clint Capela, John Collins, Jerami Grant, Tobias Harris

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Will Pascal be an all-star next season? This is his competition in the front-court:

Potential first-time all-stars: Clint Capela, John Collins, Jerami Grant, Tobias Harris

Yeah I think so.. The league likes to have at least one guy be represented from each team.. or more specifically each playoff team. If the Raptors hover around 5-6-7-8 while the votes are tallied, Siakam will get in as I think he'll be the best Raptor next season. At least based on box score raw stats, which the all-star vote getters like to use.

I think Bam falls short. I don't think Miami will be as good next year and are heading to the lottery.

Comment

• Also Vucevic is done playing in the all-star game now that he's on the Bulls. Sabonis will depend on how good Indiana is. Randle might not get in either if the Knicks were a flash in the pan this year (Thibs team usually start sucking in his second year onwards).

Comment

Nope he won't be an All-Star next season. Suggs will
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Yeah I think so.. The league likes to have at least one guy be represented from each team.. or more specifically each playoff team. If the Raptors hover around 5-6-7-8 while the votes are tallied, Siakam will get in as I think he'll be the best Raptor next season. At least based on box score raw stats, which the all-star vote getters like to use.

I think Bam falls short. I don't think Miami will be as good next year and are heading to the lottery.
                        What about Jimmy Butler? He didn't make it this year either and he had some ridiculously good advanced stats... his best year ever and great raw stats. Like head and shoulders above Pascal. Jerami Grant also had good stats....he's a very similar player to Pascal. I could see Collins getting some recognition now that he's been on the big stage in the playoffs.

Comment

What about Jimmy Butler? He didn't make it this year either and he had some ridiculously good advanced stats... his best year ever and great raw stats. Like head and shoulders above Pascal. Jerami Grant also had good stats....he's a very similar player to Pascal. I could see Collins getting some recognition now that he's been on the big stage in the playoffs.
                          Butler didn't play a lot of games so was basically out of the running. Grant plays for the Pistons.. and they could have one of the worst records in the East again. Collins could definitely get some recognition.. but do they take two Hawks players and no Raptors if they are neck and neck in the standings?

Comment

It'll come down to team record. Top 2-3 seeds usually et 2 all-stars in, top 4-5 usually get 1 in (though the one we get in might be Lowry or Fred)

Comment

• It also depends on how many games Pascal misses because of his shoulder. If it's a full month then he's likely not getting in.

Comment

• Siakam was so good defensively that even though he was bad offensively they had to play him.

Comment

Working...
                                X