Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    If you have 50 minutes to hear his interview with McCowan, etc...
    Good get for Bob to get Pascal on his program .. Pascal has been silent all summer .

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Good get for Bob to get Pascal on his program .. Pascal has been silent all summer .
      Pretty much confirms what has been said all along. His play was affected by being in Tampa, lack of offseason work opportunity, COVID, losing 15 poumds off of his already slim frame, and the "rift" with Nurse was a big nothing burger.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

Pretty much confirms what has been said all along. His play was affected by being in Tampa, lack of offseason work opportunity, COVID, losing 15 pounds off of his already slim frame, and the "rift" with Nurse was a big nothing burger.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Pretty much confirms what has been said all along. His play was affected by being in Tampa, lack of offseason work opportunity, COVID, losing 15 poumds off of his already slim frame, and the "rift" with Nurse was a big nothing burger.
          And he was still good! Particularly towards the end of the season, but overall he produced and was still a two way player. The team had a rough season, his 3P% dropped, and there were some highly visible end-of-game shots that rimmed out. All that turned into Siakam memes and "Pascal = bad". Very narrative driven from a distance, and too many Raptors fans bought into it.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• So excited to see what this guy can bring this season. Is he going to be significantly better than say, Paul George? Well yeah, duh.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

And he was still good! Particularly towards the end of the season, but overall he produced and was still a two way player. The team had a rough season, his 3P% dropped, and there were some highly visible end-of-game shots that rimmed out. All that turned into Siakam memes and "Pascal = bad". Very narrative driven from a distance, and too many Raptors fans bought into it.
              The bubble and the first few games of last season stuck with his narrative. Outside of his 3 point %, he wasn't all that different from pre-bubble Pascal. His 3 point shooting dropped, but on the other hand, his playmaking improved. We'll see what he brings next season, but with an improved 3P% and his improved playmaking, he'll be a very good player.

Comment

• Anyone have the breakdown on Pascal's 3-point attempts? If memory serves he shot quite a lot off the dribble.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

The bubble and the first few games of last season stuck with his narrative. Outside of his 3 point %, he wasn't all that different from pre-bubble Pascal. His 3 point shooting dropped, but on the other hand, his playmaking improved. We'll see what he brings next season, but with an improved 3P% and his improved playmaking, he'll be a very good player.
                  Also...

He sure was snake-bit for much of the season on what mostly looked like they should be routine layups... especially in the clutch, as is well-documented.

My hope is that he'll have gotten his strength back in full and that those'll start dropping for him as they always have.

Comment

• His newfound arsenal of one-footed fadeaways and x-over floaters etc. usually looked pretty good, he was able to create the space. He just didn't quite have the finishing pop. I can relate.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      Anyone have the breakdown on Pascal's 3-point attempts? If memory serves he shot quite a lot off the dribble.
                      He did, but his shot also just kind of fell off last year in general.

A quarter of his threes last year were off the dribble. He shot 24% on those. 31% on his catch and shoot threes. He did shoot 34% on wide open threes. But none of those are particularly good numbers.

The year prior, he actually took like 40% of his threes off the dribble, but hit 34% on those, and 36% on his set shot threes, and 37% on wide open threes.

The hope mostly lies in him just finding his shooting form again, more so than any shot selection stuff.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm feeling more and more optimistic that Siakam might have a big year for the Raps.

Something which I thought about recently is that most stars aren't asked to put a tonne of effort on defense, but that is something Siakam has typically had to do. He's now going to have Barnes and Precious there to pick up some of those tough defensive assignments which "should" allow him to conserve some energy for offense.

Sort of reminds me of how Raps tried to surround DeMar with complimentary defensive players like Carroll and Tucker. They are all in on Siakam as the main man on offense it would seem.

Comment

• Great article/interview with Pascal on the New York Times... that's big time. Pascal says he's ready to be "The Man". There was definitely a tug of war going on with Lowry still there, with Pascal (& Fred) rightfully deferring to him. Was definitely observing that dynamic for the last couple of seasons, where Pascal/Fred become super aggressive on offense when Lowry was out of the lineup.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/16/s...o-raptors.html

With Kyle gone, obviously now you’re even more of the guy now. Your agent says you’re happy in Toronto. Masai Ujiri, the team president, said your relationship is pretty healthy with the organization. How would you characterize it?

I think it’s growing, obviously. Because I just think that for me, I feel the love. Obviously, Masai, we go way back and I’ll always have a ton of respect for Masai and everything that he’s done for the continent [Africa].

For me at that point when I started becoming that person, I just felt like there wasn’t that much level of communication, to be honest. And that was the only thing really that I felt. It was like, “We got you the max contract, but are you the guy?” I think that’s something that I was struggling with.

What do you mean by that?

Obviously, Kyle was there, being a point guard. Kyle was, to me, always the greatest Raptor of all time. I think he was always like, “I was the guy.” I had the contract, but I never really felt like I was the guy, to be honest.

You wanted them to say, “You know, here’s the max contract. You’re the guy. You’re the centerpiece that’s going to take us to the repeat championship.”

Yeah. I never really felt like there was that. And I think those conversations are happening now.

Comment

• Feeling compelled to defer to Kyle would be a hard dynamic to maneuver. I'm sure there wasn't any pressure from Kyle, the coaches or the organization, it just happened. It will be interesting to see how Pascal, FVV, and OG handle and hopefully flourish in their new roles.

Comment

• Not sure I recall Doug Smith ever calling out a player or coach on anything, but he just did that with Pascal's reason/excuse for not feeling like "The Man".

The other part that got me – and perplexed me – was that Siakam somehow felt he wasn’t “the man” during last season.

That basically runs counter to all reality. He took nearly every big shot in every close game down the stretch. Every time we asked Nick or any of his teammates who the team’s “closer” was, Siakam was singled out and I’m not sure what else anyone could have done to make him feel his big-shot opportunities would be commensurate with his maximum salary.

That just doesn’t ring true, and I would hope there’d be further explanation coming when he has to actually talk to writers who closely watched every game last season
                              https://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_...ascal-sia.html

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Not sure I recall Doug Smith ever calling out a player or coach on anything, but he just did that with Pascal's reason/excuse for not feeling like "The Man".

https://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_...ascal-sia.html
                                He makes some good points.

I don't love that Pascal sounds like he's saying he needs to given the keys, if you're the best player you take them. Maybe it's one of those things that came off wrong in front of the microphone. Either way, Raps are fully committed to Pascal being the man by surrounding him with guys that can ease his burden on defense a bit. That should help him with his responsibilities on offense. Looking forward to a big year from Spicy P.

Comment

Working...
                                X