No announcement yet.

Everything Pascal Siakam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t know why we are talking GTj in the Pascal thread but I’ll chime in. GTj started his career with franchise that didn’t exactly prioritize defence. He improved last year, but still is a below average to average defender in regards to the rest of the team. Can he improve? Sure he can, he already has. There’s always going to be a weaker defender on a team, if he can play disciplined average D, we’re set.

I’m a GTj fan, I don’t love everything he does, I wish he had better court vision and gave up the ball more willingly, I wish he didn’t gamble as much on D. He’s 23 though, and 4th (Koloko, Banton, Precious) youngest on the team, he has a long way to go from here.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

trent isn't all defence.
      I'm just referencing the offseason hype. Scottie did a post calling Trent all defense.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
        Don’t know why we are talking GTj in the Pascal thread but I’ll chime in. GTj started his career with franchise that didn’t exactly prioritize defence. He improved last year, but still is a below average to average defender in regards to the rest of the team. Can he improve? Sure he can, he already has. There’s always going to be a weaker defender on a team, if he can play disciplined average D, we’re set.

I’m a GTj fan, I don’t love everything he does, I wish he had better court vision and gave up the ball more willingly, I wish he didn’t gamble as much on D. He’s 23 though, and 4th (Koloko, Banton, Precious) youngest on the team, he has a long way to go from here.
        Is that the new excuse? what if the Blazers drafted Marcus Smart, do you think he wouldn't be a great defender?

Trent is the EXACT type of player when he played at Duke. A low IQ chucker. He was Grayson Allen's backup there. There's a reason for that.

Also, defense is not something you can teach. It's either you have it or you don't. He is what he is as a player.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I'm just referencing the offseason hype. Scottie did a post calling Trent all defense.
          ah fair

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Is that the new excuse? what if the Blazers drafted Marcus Smart, do you think he wouldn't be a great defender?

Trent is the EXACT type of player when he played at Duke. A low IQ chucker. He was Grayson Allen's backup there. There's a reason for that.

Also, defense is not something you can teach. It's either you have it or you don't. He is what he is as a player.
            well i do think building habits can shift a player... by how much... not sure... but early focus on an area that a coaching staff prioritizes in order for a player to get playing time can shift how you approach a game.... that said I do think there are certain college tendencies that carry over... Norm is a good example.. he was always athletic and strong enough to get to the rim at will... even in college but had a bad habit of driving with his head down so he would miss opportunities to pass.. it wasn't until his final two seasons as a raptor where he began to correct that. At the same time... there were other skills they wanted to develop so was that really the focus early on? we may never know...

Comment

well i do think building habits can shift a player... by how much... not sure... but early focus on an area that a coaching staff prioritizes in order for a player to get playing time can shift how you approach a game.... that said I do think there are certain college tendencies that carry over... Norm is a good example.. he was always athletic and strong enough to get to the rim at will... even in college but had a bad habit of driving with his head down so he would miss opportunities to pass.. it wasn't until his final two seasons as a raptor where he began to correct that. At the same time... there were other skills they wanted to develop so was that really the focus early on? we may never know...
              I'm talking defense, not offense.

In basketball, you can be taught offense(shooting, post up moves, using the right angles etc etc) over time but nobody can put defensive tenacity in you, something you either have or you don't.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Offensively, Trent is the EXACT type of player when he was in college. Remember he's now entering his 5th season. The "great ones" improve year after year. VC, Bosh, DeRozan, JV, Lowry, FVV, Siakam all got better EVERY year. Barnes is looking like one of those guys as well.

Then there are guys like Ross, Bruno, Bebe, Patterson, Greivis just to name a few who never got any better. Trent is in that category. Ross is actually a pretty good comp.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Offensively, Trent is the EXACT type of player when he was in college. Remember he's now entering his 5th season. The "great ones" improve year after year. VC, Bosh, DeRozan, JV, Lowry, FVV, Siakam all got better EVERY year. Barnes is looking like one of those guys as well.

Then there are guys like Ross, Bruno, Bebe, Patterson, Greivis just to name a few who never got any better. Trent is in that category. Ross is actually a pretty good comp.
                  You're comparing Gary to 2 opposite ends of the spectrum. Stars and scrubs. I don't think Gary will be a star so obviously he won't improve like those guys have, but he is in a good spot now if this is who he is for the rest of his career. Good 3 point shooter who averages 16-19 PPG.

Thats also why many want him as the sixth man because he is that type of player.

Also interesting you put JV as a player who improves every year. He averaged basically the same for most of his Raptors tenure, around 12 PPG and 9 RPG. He has gotten better as shooter and overall player after he left the Raptors but he is 29 now.
                  Last edited by A.I; Sun Aug 7, 2022, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

You're comparing Gary to 2 opposite ends of the spectrum. Stars and scrubs. I don't think Gary will be a star so obviously he won't improve like those guys have, but he is in a good spot now if this is who he is for the rest of his career. Good 3 point shooter who averages 16-19 PPG.

Thats also why many want him as the sixth man because he is that type of player.
                    Ross is a scrub? Pattersson's a scrub? they're serviceable rotation players but not a star. Trent can be servicable player but not as a starter.

Again, my perfect comp for him is JR Smith. He is JR Smith 2.0.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Love me some Pascal to Scottie .....

Comment

• T-Rex woke up today on a mission to validate his point that Trent Jr. is a scrub and on a another thread exalts his favorite player in VanVleet with a sprinkle of love to his first love in Derozan. But with little substance to his argument, nothing has change. While others, are trying to convince him otherwise to no avail . RR forum thriving during the dog days of summer. Lol

In related news, Pascal Siakam and Scottie chemistry is flourishing.

LFG !

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                          T-Rex woke up today on a mission to validate his point that Trent Jr. is a scrub and on a another thread exalts his favorite player in VanVleet with a sprinkle of love to his first love in Derozan. But with little substance to his argument, nothing has change. While others, are trying to convince him otherwise to no avail . RR forum thriving during the dog days of summer. Lol

LFG !
                          That's a pretty good track record that I have. FVV and DeRozan, two guys that I have supported since day 1. Two guys that you shit on non stop since day 1. One's a future hall of famer and the other was a key component the 2019 championship team.

Who's gonna be right about Trent?

Speaking of non sense, i'm just glad Masai didn't trade FVV and 2021 lottery pick(Barnes) like you suggested for your favorite player Malcolm Brogdon.

Oh well.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

T-Rex woke up today on a mission to validate his point that Trent Jr. is a scrub and on a another thread exalts his favorite player in VanVleet with a sprinkle of love to his first love in Derozan. But with little substance to his argument, nothing has change. While others, are trying to convince him otherwise to no avail . RR forum thriving during the dog days of summer. Lol

LFG !
                            It's tough when we don't have games to talk about. The hottest takes start flying.

Comment

That's a pretty good track record that I have. FVV and DeRozan, two guys that I have supported since day 1. Two guys that you shit on non stop since day 1. One's a future hall of famer and the other was a key component the 2019 championship team.
                              Derozan cannot defend a pylon, but so is Carmelo Anthony… both can be future HOFERs as per your low standards
                              Van Vleet is a key component of the 2019 championship team, glad to admit I was wrong. But, Thankful for the rest of the players who should also be getting the same credit as VanVleet. He however still does have limitations in his game, that cannot be argued until now.

The Great One wrote: View Post

Speaking of non sense, i'm just glad Masai didn't trade FVV and 2021 lottery pick(Barnes) like you suggested for your favorite player Malcolm Brogdon.

Oh well.
                              your nose is getting longer ….my suggestion was for VanVleet/ Boucher/ and 2 second round picks for Brogdon and Sabonis.
                              Brogdon is now a good piece for the contender Celtics. Sabonis could have been a nice piece just like the experience that Thad has brought here. …. And those 2 future 2nd rounders, is not Scottie lol. So try again.

The Great One wrote: View Post
                              Who's gonna be right about Trent?
                              and regarding Trent, he is 23 years. Your argument that he has not improved since he came into the league is totally flawed

so that’s where we are at…

Comment

Derozan cannot defend a pylon, but so is Carmelo Anthony… both can be future HOFERs as per your low standards
                                Van Vleet is a key component of the 2019 championship team, glad to admit I was wrong. But, Thankful for the rest of the players who should also be getting the same credit as VanVleet. He however still does have limitations in his game, that cannot be argued until now.

your nose is getting longer ….my suggestion was for VanVleet/ Boucher/ and 2 second round picks for Brogdon and Sabonis.
                                Brogdon is now a good piece for the contender Celtics. Sabonis could have been a nice piece just like the experience that Thad has brought here. …. And those 2 future 2nd rounders, is not Scottie lol. So try again.

and regarding Trent, he is 23 years. Your argument that he has not improved since he came into the league is totally flawed

so that’s where we are at…
                                1. Apparently making it to the HOF is a low standard lol. Ok.

2. Lies. You've spammed this forum with so many boneheaded FVV trades that the one you mentioned was just one of them. I remember you mentioning trading the lottery pick because you're "not a fan of tanking"

3. 23 years old entering his 5th year. Name me an area of his game that he has gotten better at since his college days?

Try again.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X