Everything 2017/18 Pre-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GLF wrote: View Post
    It does in fighting for a roster spot but not in the grand scheme of things. I think if McKinnie got McDaniel's opportunities he would have done a much better job, but obviously we'll never know for sure. You can just see he's a superior player already. Mainly because he can do a bit of everything and is a much better shooter than I thought. McDaniels seems to only be able to play decent defence and is very athletic, we already have OG who can do that. Or at least I rather OG get those minutes than McDaniels. We don't need him
    Can't really say that McKinnie is the better player off of the short opportunities each player has gotten. He has shown to have a better jumper, which will give him the edge for that roster spot. Always thought whoever shot better between the two would get the spot. If McDaniels comes out on Tuesday and hits 3 3s the spot is up for grabs again.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Nice interview with Lowry by NBATV.

Summary: the culture reset is all about changing the style of play to be ready for the playoffs, i.e., getting other players ready to make plays when Kyle and DeMar are double-teamed and the offense is easily shut-down. It took 4 years to figure this out? Looks like that long running RR debate is finally put to rest.

http://www.nba.com/video/2017/10/07/...ry-interview#/
      All the blind casey supporters can help themselves to their own words instead of turkey this thanksgiving.

Comment

Looks like Masai isn't eating this thanksgiving

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Looks like Masai isn't eating this thanksgiving

Why you say that?
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Casey on 3s and Norm extension
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Pretty well nails it: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/1...iew-3-pointers
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

"The problem is Toronto is hitting only 27.6 percent of those 3s, compared to 42.3 percent for Houston. (Admittedly, we’re working with a teeny-tiny sample size.) The Raptors hit 36.3 percent of their 3s last season, so their shooting percentage should rise over the course of the actual season. ...

...The Raptors shot 40.8 percent from deep midrange last season (2-pointers taken from 16–24 feet) per NBA.com Stats, which equates to 0.82 points per shot. They’d need to shoot only 27.2 percent from 3 to match an expected points per shot of 0.82. It’d be like an experiment, since even just 30 percent from 3 would be a statistical increase in the Raptors’ scoring production."

I was wondering what the breakeven point for 3 pointers would be to equal last season's two point shooting. It sounds like the Raptors are pretty much there. Interesting. If they can avoid having long rebounds from 3 pt launches turn into fast breaks they might be onto something.
                Last edited by Puffer; Mon Oct 9, 2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Pretty pumped for McKinnie. The only real question now is if KJ can also earn the 15th spot. With OG coming back soon I wouldn't bet on it, but he's still got time to make an impression. Alonzo's got legit athleticism, is light on his feet, and his shot looks ok. I loved his comments about this offense generating a lot of open corner 3s when it's run properly.

I expect an uptick in accuracy with these days of rest/practice. It should be fun to watch when the shots are actually falling.

Comment

So Philly has given Joel Embiid....per Woj...a 5 year 148$M deal....
                    That’s a lot of money for a guy who has played in 30 odd games in 3 years...

Smart money move or playing with fire?
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      So Philly has given Joel Embiid....per Woj...a 5 year 148$M deal....
                      That’s a lot of money for a guy who has played in 30 odd games in 3 years...

Smart money move or playing with fire?

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

first tweet seems wrong. aren't incentives limited to like $15M? Plus i don't think they change the cap number.

Comment

• Unlikely incentives are limited to 15%. Likely ones can make up everything above the minimum salary.

Also, the 148 v 178 is not incentives, just whether he's eligible for the supermax extension come next summer when it kicks in.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Unlikely incentives are limited to 15%. Likely ones can make up everything above the minimum salary.

Also, the 148 v 178 is not incentives, just whether he's eligible for the supermax extension come next summer when it kicks in.
                            yeah that 2nd part i get, but some pundits seem to be talking about potential salary cap relief if he gets injured / misses time. sure sounds like incentives to me. and given the guy's played 30 games in 3 years I don't see games played incentives as being particularly likely.

who adjudicates these incentives?

Comment

• You can basically make whatever countable stat an incentive, plus league awards, with some few exceptions. It has to be a positive accomplishment though.

As for likely versus unlikely, it's simple. If your last season would have fulfilled the criteria, it's a likely incentive. If not, unlikely. Lowry has a games played incentive in his new deal, which is currently considered unlikely, because he missed so much time last season.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• But with Embiid playing 31 games, they could have a likely incentive for playing 30 games, and an unlikely one for playing 60, for example. And the likely one can be big, but even if it only matched the 15% from the unlikely incentive, that still cuts his 30M per year down to 20M per year if he misses too much time.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X