Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    I've liked the look of McKinnie on the court - very bouncy and moves like a guard despite being 6'9. I don't remember him shooting much though.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Boston started Horford at the 4, in their first preseason game at least.
    Horford suffers starting at the 5 all year like Ibaka would. Boston may be smart to start Baynes just to take the load off of Horford.

Cleveland thinks they are being smart starting Love at the 5, but over the course of a full season, it may come back to bite them, even if they do ravage teams offensively in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Boston started Horford at the 4, in their first preseason game at least.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    I'm certainly as big a supporter as anybody is of JV remaining in the starting lineup and being fully utilized. I'm wondering though, should the news that Kevin Love will be playing center with TT coming off the bench change our thinking about that at all? If our two biggest competitors in BOS and CLE are rolling with small ball centers, Love/Horford, are we gonna get left in the same position we usually do in the playoffs, scrambling to make adjustments to match opponents, moves that could've been implemented during the regular season? I mean I'm really not convinced that we have the wing players at the 3-4 spots to even make the shift for Ibaka to better match Love and Hereford make sense for what we'd lose elsewhere. Just curious if our competition's composition should be changing our thinking about that at all? Thoughts?
    Meh. JV posted a +6 net rating against BOS last year, so the small ball C thing isn't exactly killing us there. Heck, that includes the usual garbage starting lineup screwing stuff up - JV beside Pat had a +11 net rating against BOS, JV beside Ibaka in the starting lineup had a +10 net rating against BOS.

Playoff matchup decisions with the Cavs will be interesting. But I don't think playing to your strengths rather than your opponents' is a bad idea. I mean, Ibaka at C last year against the Cavs in the playoffs got absolutely mauled (98 ORTG, 131 DRTG in 68 minutes), so it's not like it's some guarantee of success against small ball looks.

I also think most of our post-season scrambling has nothing to do with matchups, but with strategy (and simply starting players who shouldn't be in a playoff rotation). Scola wasn't a matchup thing, he just sucked. Powell starting was a strategy counter, to stop the traps. JV coming off the bench you could argue was a matchup issue, but not a "get him away from this matchup" scenario, so much as a "get Ibaka away from Monroe" one.

Leave a comment:

• KHD
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    You don't think JV hits 25 a night? I imagine he'll average the same ~26-ish he has his entire career.

I agree that there's no concern with the shooting - not only are those the big minutes guys, but they should be heavier usage guys than the young options as well, so a lot of our three point shooting will come from those established options.
    nah man obviously JV will be shooting 5 3s per game at 35%.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    I'm certainly as big a supporter as anybody is of JV remaining in the starting lineup and being fully utilized. I'm wondering though, should the news that Kevin Love will be playing center with TT coming off the bench change our thinking about that at all? If our two biggest competitors in BOS and CLE are rolling with small ball centers, Love/Horford, are we gonna get left in the same position we usually do in the playoffs, scrambling to make adjustments to match opponents, moves that could've been implemented during the regular season? I mean I'm really not convinced that we have the wing players at the 3-4 spots to even make the shift for Ibaka to better match Love and Hereford make sense for what we'd lose elsewhere. Just curious if our competition's composition should be changing our thinking about that at all? Thoughts?
    This is an excellent point.

The best reason to keep JV in the starting lineup would be to say, 'Fine, BOS and CLE are going small, we're going to go big and punish them down low'. However, experience shows us that they literally (LITERALLY) NEVER make an effort to exploit JV mismatches in the post. So if they won't do this, if makes sense to give the team a whole season of reps with Ibaka at the C and JV as a super sub.

But it won't happen. Casey just doesn't innovate like that.

My prediction:

- JV starts the entire season.

- At some point in the playoffs, the Raps run into CLE or BOS.

- JV playing with the starters is immediately an obvious hindrance (for reason above).

- Raps go down 0-2.

- With the series basically over, JV gets moved to the bench, and a new starting lineup gets to figure out how to play together at the dumbest possible time.

Book it.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    We have too many centers.. would have been nice if Masai could have found a taker for Bebe and gotten back a future 2nd or something. I think Bebe will eat into Poeltl's minutes. Nice to have insurance I guess if JV goes down but if Ibaka plans to play some C perhaps that insurance isn't really needed.
    BeBe's ability to play both front court positions in a crunch is useful depth. But he shouldn't get any regular minutes barring injury.

BeBe will likely walk at the end of the year, unless they can get him back cheap (and move JV).

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    We have too many centers.. would have been nice if Masai could have found a taker for Bebe and gotten back a future 2nd or something. I think Bebe will eat into Poeltl's minutes. Nice to have insurance I guess if JV goes down but if Ibaka plans to play some C perhaps that insurance isn't really needed.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    And that's fair. I certainly hope you are wrong (Ibaka should play very, very limited minutes there IMO, and Poeltl should get a restricted bench role to grow into himself), but it wouldn't exactly be the end of the world if JV ended up closer to 24 MPG than 28.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Yak one year better and Ibaka taking C minutes. Is why I think JV will be under 25 mins.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    And that's fair. I certainly hope you are wrong (Ibaka should play very, very limited minutes there IMO, and Poeltl should get a restricted bench role to grow into himself), but it wouldn't exactly be the end of the world if JV ended up closer to 24 MPG than 28.

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    You don't think JV hits 25 a night? I imagine he'll average the same ~26-ish he has his entire career.

I agree that there's no concern with the shooting - not only are those the big minutes guys, but they should be heavier usage guys than the young options as well, so a lot of our three point shooting will come from those established options.
    Yak one year better and Ibaka taking C minutes. Is why I think JV will be under 25 mins.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Mess wrote: View Post
    Come on Dan, you know Chr1s1anL can get a little fluid with his numbers.
    He may actually feel JV will dip in minutes - I can see the argument. I don't think he will, but it's a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    Come on Dan, you know Chr1s1anL can get a little fluid with his numbers.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I think when it's all said and done raps will be a respectful 3 point shooting team. Deebo is the only player that will be playing 25+ minutes a night that cant shoot the 3. He will be creating a lot of the open looks for the others.

The other guys(Miles/Lowry/Powell/Ibaka) playing 25+ a night will all shoot better than 35 percent IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    I think when it's all said and done raps will be a respectful 3 point shooting team. Deebo is the only player that will be playing 25+ minutes a night that cant shoot the 3. He will be creating a lot of the open looks for the others.

The other guys(Miles/Lowry/Powell/Ibaka) playing 25+ a night will all shoot better than 35 percent IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X