Game #2: Philadelphia 76ers 94 - Toronto Raptors 128

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Philly would just put JV on an island. Let Embiid take advantage of him on the perimeter. Ibaka has our best combination of strength/mobility. Also with how good of a rim protector Embiid is it would be nice to get him away from the rim. I know it's been a long summer but, Ibaka is still out best closer at 5. Just my opinion but, will see tomorrow night.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    If putting in JV means Embiid will be relegated to being a Channing Frye clone, i.e., jacking up 3's on the perimeter, then that's a pretty good tradeoff. Embiid has the potential to be a very good shooter, but he's not there yet.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      If putting in JV means Embiid will be relegated to being a Channing Frye clone, i.e., jacking up 3's on the perimeter, then that's a pretty good tradeoff. Embiid has the potential to be a very good shooter, but he's not there yet.
      It's not just shooting. Embiid has the handle to take JV off the dribble pretty easily.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

A key to watch for is if the refs throw a few quick phantom fouls on JV like usual. If He gets out of the 1Q in good shape, it will be a huge help. Embiid already gets calls that most early players don't because the NBA needs him in the East

Comment

It's not just shooting. Embiid has the handle to take JV off the dribble pretty easily.

Even better, throw a small help defender at him to swipe at the ball, since Embiid turns it over a ton. For all the hype, he really isn't efficient yet (when you factor in turnovers), so he's actually dribbling his team out of games on offense, but making up for it with superb defense. The Process looks like he's going to be great, but he isn't a 7ft2 MJ just yet. People need to settle down.
          Last edited by golden; Fri Oct 20, 2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
            Embiid might not play because this will be the second game of a back to back.

Anyway, this is a good test to see what we look like against an actual team. The new look 76ers gave the Wizards a tough game last night so they're no slouch.
            There is also video from today of Kawhi limping onto the team's plane. Potentially the raps could miss Embid on Saturday and Kawhi on Monday.

Comment

I see where the 76ers are playing the Celtics tonight...which makes it a back-to-back for them tomorrow. It also provides for some comparison discussions.

ps...tonite's game on NBATv.

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                Embiid might not play because this will be the second game of a back to back.

Anyway, this is a good test to see what we look like against an actual team. The new look 76ers gave the Wizards a tough game last night so they're no slouch.
                Yup, 2nd night of a home-away back to back. Wouldn't be too surprised if they don't want him to travel. Bad for inflammation.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                  There is also video from today of Kawhi limping onto the team's plane. Potentially the raps could miss Embid on Saturday and Kawhi on Monday.
                  Kind of a bummer to be honest. I think the starters could stand to play some minutes against a good starting five. Though I guess a few glorified preseason games might smooth out the kinks we saw last night.

Comment

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I don't understand how some think Philly is a playoff team if Embiid only plays half a season.
                      They will be lucky if he plays 30 games.

Comment

Philly would just put JV on an island. Let Embiid take advantage of him on the perimeter. Ibaka has our best combination of strength/mobility. Also with how good of a rim protector Embiid is it would be nice to get him away from the rim. I know it's been a long summer but, Ibaka is still out best closer at 5. Just my opinion but, will see tomorrow night.

As with most matchups, especially big men, I'd much rather take my chances on letting Embiid go full Steph Curry or try to drive all night on those glass knees than simply overpower and go over Ibaka who he will physically make look like a child.

Now fortunately we won't have that problem but forcing him to shoot over JV's length or forcing Embiid to risk the physical movement on those legs by attacking the basket sounds a lot more taxing on a player with a time restriction that doesn't trust his body and more importantly make for a greater level of difficulty than simply overpowering Serge as if he were child.

Watch his highlights...you take your chances on his 3 missing but give him it in the post against a smaller player and it's BBQ chicken (aka done like dinner, there is no chance) as Shaq would say

There's plenty of footage of him here just bulldozing Biz and Serge, Tristan too...

A smaller guy has absolutely NO CHANCE and if anything the 3 is even easier with a shorter man. You play the percentages and for as good of a 3pt shooter he is, 2pts is that much easier..

#MAFUZZY would = #MABBQCHICKEN
                        Last edited by JamesNaismith; Fri Oct 20, 2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post

Phew!!

Comment

JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                            As with most matchups, especially big men, I'd much rather take my chances on letting Embiid go full Steph Curry or try to drive all night on those glass knees than simply overpower and go over Ibaka who he will physically make look like a child.

Now fortunately we won't have that problem but forcing him to shoot over JV's length or forcing Embiid to risk the physical movement on those legs by attacking the basket sounds a lot more taxing on a player with a time restriction that doesn't trust his body and more importantly make for a greater level of difficulty than simply overpowering Serge as if he were child.

Watch his highlights...you take your chances on his 3 missing but give him it in the post against a smaller player and it's BBQ chicken (aka done like dinner, there is no chance) as Shaq would say

Just look at him roast Tristan, Biz and yes even Serge...guys smaller than him get chewed up

A smaller guy has absolutely NO CHANCE and if anything the 3 is even easier with a shorter man.

#MAFUZZY would = #MABBQCHICKEN
                            But Casey doesn't follow that kind of logic a lot. He tries to go mobile on a guy who's at all an outside threat. I remember him benching JV in the 4th (what else is new?) because he didn't want to match him up against Towns in a game last year (they were cross matching all night so JV never even got a chance to try guarding Towns), and we went with...I don't know, Bebe or Jakob...it's less important than the fact that we went "mobile" and Towns instead just dominated our glass and got 5 ORBs, converting them all into buckets. That's a 10 pt swing because we literally didn't have a rebounder against a 7 foot star talent, and we ended up losing that game. But I guess the strategy worked because Towns didn't burn us from the perimeter. He went 0-2 from 3pt land, and didn't even attempt one in the 4th (why would he when he can eat us up on the inside/glass?).
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Oct 20, 2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Watching a bit of the Cavs/Bucks game. With Rose & Wade, the Cavs offense is very different than previous years - a lot more drives / cuts into the paint than three's. 5 minutes left in the second quarter and the Cavs have only hoisted 9 three point attempts - Milwaukee with 21.

Comment

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                                Watching a bit of the Cavs/Bucks game. With Rose & Wade, the Cavs offense is very different than previous years - a lot more drives / cuts into the paint than three's. 5 minutes left in the second quarter and the Cavs have only hoisted 9 three point attempts - Milwaukee with 21.
                                So the cavs now play like the raptors and the raptors now play like the cavs...and what this will prove is play style means fuck all to talent when lebron james dick slaps us around again in the playoffs
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X