Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Like to See Tony Parker in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo
    replied
    If Parker is planning to go to the highest bidder then he is driven by money.

Leave a comment:

• mo-sales
    replied
    I'd rather sign Parker to a max deal than Joe Johnson. Tony has rings and a finals MVP and has never really been a guy seemingly driven by money. Joe is a merc who plays like he is only paid for the 82 game season.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Max contract? Sounds like an anchor for the Knicks, should they choose to accept such a thing if given the opportunity... I know, speculation to the max!
    Parker a max player? If fans around here are questioning whether Bosh is a max player, I can't imagine their feeling on Parker. I wonder if this is a way for the agent to drive down his value so he won't get traded.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Max contract? Sounds like an anchor for the Knicks, should they choose to accept such a thing if given the opportunity... I know, speculation to the max!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Ikarum-bah .... forget about Parker. He's got his eyes set on NY and is looking for a max contract. No thanks.

Tony Parker may be on the trading block this summer.

Parker has told close friends he and his actress wife, Eva Longoria, would love to relocate to New York.

"Pop loves George and I could see a scenario where he would trade Tony," said a Spurs source, referring to San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. "Tony will be looking for a max deal and New York may pay him."
    Source - Click here

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    mo-sales, I don't know if Bosh is necessarily a good fit for the Spurs. Their two trademarks are defense and passing. While he's not a poor defender, he's not a defensive anchor, as Duncan is, which is what, I think they would want. More importantly, though, his tendency to hold the ball would be an offense killer on a team like the Spurs that relies so much on good ball movement. You never know, though. They may have interest.

Jefferson is vastly overpaid, yes, but he's got only one year left, so it's not really that much of an issue. And talking about whether or not they re-sign a year from now is not the point. If they had two years left, then they could be gone after two years. Did anyone complain about Amir having only one year left when the Raptors traded for him? That's the NBA. If the team does well, chances are they'd re-sign. If not, they move on and the team finds replacements, as per usual with every team.

Leave a comment:

• mo-sales
    replied
    Tim, your right in that it would a huge haul for the raptors, but Bosh represents such an infusion of talent that the smart move would be for an opportunistic GM like Buford to outbid for Bosh's services to ensure that one of his competitors doesn't get him.

If he goes Lakers, Mavs or Rockets as some of the potential rumours dictate, it would put the Spurs in a pretty big hole with an aging Duncan. Because Bosh's availability is predominantly restricted to a S&T, everyone has a shot at him and he is likely to go for far below market value. If you want to compete in the west you can't let another Gasol deal happen where one team leaps head and shoulders over the competition.

Bosh would be a perfect compliment to Duncan and the Spurs would likely be more competitive short term and long term.

If i'm the raps, I'm not sure if I do this deal. RJ is overpaid, two years removed from being positively contributing and likely gone after the season and Parker while a stud and only one year removed from his best year provides no guarantee he would resign. You could be stuck with only Blair, who is a legit monster, but not exactly a fool proof long term solution.

I'm in the minority camp that thinks BC will actually have a lot of leverage this summer as long as Bosh is open minded about his next home. He is the perfect addition to a quality team, he creates his own offense and could seamlessly blend into almost any system. Bosh isn't worth 20 million, but overpaying him could very easily be the championship answer as there are too many western powers fading into the sunset and in desperate need of new blood.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    Turn this around the other way. The Spurs are looking to get rid of Parker and Jefferson's expiring contracts and get something in return. They are currently over the tax limit and thus would not be inheriting much, if any, cap space when those contracts leave, and any savings would undoubtedly go to sign some of their younger players. Again, if the Spurs let those contracts walk, they can't improve their team substantially through FA as they would still be near the cap.

The Spurs were a disappointing 7-seed this year and although Jefferson would indeed be a good fit on the Raptors, he wasn't on the Spurs, aside from a few games here and there. Would he be the second-best player on the Raptors if this trade went through? Maybe on some nights, maybe.

Also, the Spurs might be encouraged to do this deal because they know that Bosh will end up in the Western Conference anyway, and if he does, the gap between them and the top-tier teams will only grow. If Bosh is serious about doing a sign-and-trade, this is what will create the bidding war for Bosh's services, the knowledge that if one team doesn't get him, a competitor will.

The Spurs are an old team and only getting older. Bosh gives them some relative youth, and the Bosh/Duncan pairing could be attractive to veterans looking to sign with a winner for a last run at a title.

Look at it this way: if SA is serious about wanting to deal Parker and Jefferson, is there a better deal to be had than Bosh/Calderon? If there is, I'm dying to hear it.
    See, the thing is, I AM turning the deal around. If I'm the Spurs, I know I should be able to get something of great value for Parker. He's an All-Star calibre player who has shown he can lift his game in the playoffs, knows how to win and is still only 28 years old. Plus, he's got a very manageable contract with only a year left. A swap of Bosh and Parker is something that would be an incredibly good deal for the Raptors since most teams don't get an All-Star calibre player back in a sign and trade.

Adding just Blair would be ridiculously good for the Raptors, since he's only 21 years old with a ton of potential. If given more playing time, he could easily become a double-double player. Alone, he should have a lot of value.

And Jefferson, however ineffective he was this year with the Spurs, has only one year left on his contract and can score, defend, rebound and pass the ball well. He's still under 30 and a very athletic player with lots of playoff experience.

A Bosh-Calderon for Parker-Jefferson-Blair deal MIGHT be realistic if it were a straight up trade, but it's not. It's a sign and trade. People don't seem to understand the return you get in a sign-and-trade is drastically less than a straight up trade.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Buford says Parker is not on the block

If Tony Parker is on the trading block, somebody forgot to tell Spurs general manager R.C. Buford.

Speculation, stemming from a piece on ESPN.com, is running rampant that the Spurs are expected to "at least consider" trading their three-time All-Star point guard this summer.

Acknowledging the Spurs are beholden to "continue to evaluate any opportunity that comes," Buford said Monday he does not expect to shop Parker during the offseason.

"I think that you would be crazy not to want a player like Tony in our program for a long time," Buford said, adding, "The speculation with Tony is placed outside our organization."

Owning an expiring contract worth $13.5 million set to come off the books next season, and still in his prime at age 27, Parker remains the Spurs most tradeable asset. However, dealing him, and thus breaking up the Spurs' championship core, could prove too traumatic.

Beset by injuries from start to finish, to his foot, ankle, hip and hand, Parker's production sagged to 16 points per game this season. However, he is just one season removed from an All-NBA campaign that saw him average a career-best 22 points in 2008-09.

"It would surprise me, if Tony hadn't played most of the year with some kind of health ailment, that we'd even be having this conversation," Buford said.

For his part, Parker said his focus this offseason will be on resting up and healing up. He said Monday he is leaning toward skipping the 2010 FIBA World Championships this summer, and expects to finalize that decision before the end of the week.

He hopes to open talks with the Spurs about a contract extension in October.

"My heart is in San Antonio," Parker said.
    RealGM.com

If you take Buford at face value then this thread about done.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Jefferson would become the two best players on the Raptors.
    Depends on which of their current free agent players the Raptors sign if you get my drift

If you guys think I have a man crush for "Big Dawg" its nothing compared to one that Triano has for him
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon May 10, 2010, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Yes, Buddahfan, I'm sure those trades would work for you. Somehow, I can't see them working for, you know, the other teams.
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Prince is one of the few good things going for the Pistons right now. That trade makes them a lot worse. I don't think they would do it. There are better deals out there for Prince.
    Come on guys. You don't think I would propose a bad trade for the Raptors, do you?

Leave a comment:

• DonCarlos
    replied
    Most of the sign and trades proposed for Bosh around here are ridiculous. Including that one. Any trade which actually makes the team trading away the signed player immediately better than before, has no basis in reality. Look at it this way, if Bosh re-signs and the team does nothing else to improve itself, 45 games and a first round exit is pretty much their ceiling. With Parker, Jefferson and Blair, I can see that team winning, at least, 50 games in the East, and possibly getting to the second round.

And I'd never classify Parker and Jefferson as simply expiring contracts. Parker is a perennial All-Star in the East, and he and Jefferson would become the two best players on the Raptors.

If Toronto benefits MORE than the team getting Bosh, then the trade is ridiculous.
    Turn this around the other way. The Spurs are looking to get rid of Parker and Jefferson's expiring contracts and get something in return. They are currently over the tax limit and thus would not be inheriting much, if any, cap space when those contracts leave, and any savings would undoubtedly go to sign some of their younger players. Again, if the Spurs let those contracts walk, they can't improve their team substantially through FA as they would still be near the cap.

The Spurs were a disappointing 7-seed this year and although Jefferson would indeed be a good fit on the Raptors, he wasn't on the Spurs, aside from a few games here and there. Would he be the second-best player on the Raptors if this trade went through? Maybe on some nights, maybe.

Also, the Spurs might be encouraged to do this deal because they know that Bosh will end up in the Western Conference anyway, and if he does, the gap between them and the top-tier teams will only grow. If Bosh is serious about doing a sign-and-trade, this is what will create the bidding war for Bosh's services, the knowledge that if one team doesn't get him, a competitor will.

The Spurs are an old team and only getting older. Bosh gives them some relative youth, and the Bosh/Duncan pairing could be attractive to veterans looking to sign with a winner for a last run at a title.

Look at it this way: if SA is serious about wanting to deal Parker and Jefferson, is there a better deal to be had than Bosh/Calderon? If there is, I'm dying to hear it.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    Easy now. I'm pretty sure that the Spurs S&T scenario is far less ridiculous than most other ideas being proposed.

Think about it this way - getting Bosh might get you another couple of years of high-quality use of Tim Duncan. They want to get younger and more athletic, Bosh provides this even though he's a weak shotblocker. But maybe that's something that Pop can teach.

Bosh/Calderon for a young prospect and a couple of expiring contracts that can still be productive and provide leadership sounds about right. Especially if you can re-sign TP for 3 years afterwards.
    Most of the sign and trades proposed for Bosh around here are ridiculous. Including that one. Any trade which actually makes the team trading away the signed player immediately better than before, has no basis in reality. Look at it this way, if Bosh re-signs and the team does nothing else to improve itself, 45 games and a first round exit is pretty much their ceiling. With Parker, Jefferson and Blair, I can see that team winning, at least, 50 games in the East, and possibly getting to the second round.

And I'd never classify Parker and Jefferson as simply expiring contracts. Parker is a perennial All-Star in the East, and he and Jefferson would become the two best players on the Raptors.

If Toronto benefits MORE than the team getting Bosh, then the trade is ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• DonCarlos
    replied
    If Bosh returns? Sure. If Bosh doesn't re-sign, then there would be no point to trading for Parker his it's not going to either help rebuild the Raptors, or help make them a contender.

Now if they want to do that ridiculous sign and trade someone proposed that includes Parker, Jefferson and Blair, then I'd be all for it.
    Easy now. I'm pretty sure that the Spurs S&T scenario is far less ridiculous than most other ideas being proposed.

Think about it this way - getting Bosh might get you another couple of years of high-quality use of Tim Duncan. They want to get younger and more athletic, Bosh provides this even though he's a weak shotblocker. But maybe that's something that Pop can teach.

Bosh/Calderon for a young prospect and a couple of expiring contracts that can still be productive and provide leadership sounds about right. Especially if you can re-sign TP for 3 years afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Then trade Calderon and Belinelli for Prince
    Prince is one of the few good things going for the Pistons right now. That trade makes them a lot worse. I don't think they would do it. There are better deals out there for Prince.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X