No announcement yet.

The Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see an issue at all. The FVV bench unit will keep getting used until they stop blowing teams out of the water. And when that happens, you'll see more of the all-star led benches.

There's really no room for another guard on the roster. Financially or in terms of playing time.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

How bout our depth though! JV goes down (didn't look terribly serious thankfully) and the two backups step up and get it done.

Comment

Someone should probably make a "The Rotaion" meme, just sayin'.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          How bout our depth though! JV goes down (didn't look terribly serious thankfully) and the two backups step up and get it done.
          Philly's D is complete trash. In that sense they're just as bad as Chicago. If we had made a few more open threes (we were like 3/16 or something at the half??), the blowout would've been sealed in the 1st/2nd quarter.

I wouldn't read too much into their performances. Good to see, but I mean they were using Saric at times at C for shit's sake.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think you really need to worry to hard about the 10th man in the rotation. I like Fred. I like that he's a ball handler that can play int he second unit.. but I also think we should only have a 3 guard rotation (with Powell being that 4th guy). Fred, Bruno, Siakam, and McKinnie should really only get time if there are major injuries or if its a blowout. And that should be true if we get a vet or not.

Besides, there is no way Masai is paying taxes this year. The Carroll dump really proved that. So we're not going to throw money at some journey man vet to play 5-10 mins a game.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              I don't think you really need to worry to hard about the 10th man in the rotation. I like Fred. I like that he's a ball handler that can play int he second unit.. but I also think we should only have a 3 guard rotation (with Powell being that 4th guy). Fred, Bruno, Siakam, and McKinnie should really only get time if there are major injuries or if its a blowout. And that should be true if we get a vet or not.

Besides, there is no way Masai is paying taxes this year. The Carroll dump really proved that. So we're not going to throw money at some journey man vet to play 5-10 mins a game.
              I think it's ok to give Fred spot minutes certain nights, but not game to game. We can definitely afford it against the Chicago and Embiid-less Philly team. Maybe we can get him out there against the Lakers on this trip, but might be hard against the other teams. Is Portland using Napier as their backup? Might be a possibility there too.

In general he shouldn't get consistent minutes, but it's nice to have the option if it can help reduce Lowry's regular season load.

Then Siakam and Bebe get any emergency big minutes. Bruno and McKinnie warm the bench and hopefully won't need to be called upon.

Comment

Our bench is running people off the court right now. Casey doesn’t need to be running 2-point guard lineups, he’s choosing to. And it’s working.

So I’d say relax.
                Seriously, the bench is looking incredible so far.
                Let's revisit in a couple weeks after we play some real teams.

Comment

Someone should probably make a "The Rotaion" meme, just sayin'.

Comment

JV goes down for a couple games and we are in great shape with our bigs. What happens if Demar, Norm, or CJ goes down? I realy think there is a hole on the roster that could bite us in the ass. I hope that situation does not come up though.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...-Wanna-Be-Here

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                        JV goes down for a couple games and we are in great shape with our bigs. What happens if Demar, Norm, or CJ goes down? I realy think there is a hole on the roster that could bite us in the ass. I hope that situation does not come up though.
                        Yeah but it won't be fixed by adding a chucker type player just because they can handle the ball.

First, if one of our guards/wings got injured, we still would have at least 2-3 ballhandlers. I count Powell as a guy who can at least help relieve some pressure as an extra ballhandler, even if he can't do it full time, so lets say 3.

Second, we are trying to play a style that more emphasizes passing, which means the need for ballhandling should be lessened, at least in the halfcourt.

Thirdly, on top of it, while we had an extra ballhandler with Cojo last year compared to this, OG and Miles are better ballhandlers than Carroll and Tucker, so we have better guys to assist if teams put extra pressure on our PG/ballhandler. I have way more confidence in OG or Miles bringing up the ball if a team tries to press us a bit than I did with those guys from last year.

Finally, I think that means we need wing help more than ballhandling help. An unselfish player who can knock down a shot and plays smart. Ballhandling is less of a necessity. Because you're right, we would be in trouble if DeMar, Norm or CJ went down, and throw OG in there with the way he's looked. We might have to wait and see how the trade market develops during the season.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Yeah but it won't be fixed by adding a chucker type player just because they can handle the ball.

First, if one of our guards/wings got injured, we still would have at least 2-3 ballhandlers. I count Powell as a guy who can at least help relieve some pressure as an extra ballhandler, even if he can't do it full time, so lets say 3.

Second, we are trying to play a style that more emphasizes passing, which means the need for ballhandling should be lessened, at least in the halfcourt.

Thirdly, on top of it, while we had an extra ballhandler with Cojo last year compared to this, OG and Miles are better ballhandlers than Carroll and Tucker, so we have better guys to assist if teams put extra pressure on our PG/ballhandler. I have way more confidence in OG or Miles bringing up the ball if a team tries to press us a bit than I did with those guys from last year.

Finally, I think that means we need wing help more than ballhandling help. An unselfish player who can knock down a shot and plays smart. Ballhandling is less of a necessity. Because you're right, we would be in trouble if DeMar, Norm or CJ went down, and throw OG in there with the way he's looked. We might have to wait and see how the trade market develops during the season.

OG is unselfish, can knock down a shot and plays smart. There’s no way we should acquire a vet for Casey to play over him. He needs to play as much as possible.

Comment

Lorenzo Brown, Miller, Alonzo are all going to get better and better in the system as the season winds along. As will OG and Bruno. But that’s basically on top of our elite guard rotation, some of whom are spending time at the 3.

And we have the open spot open to add another vet late in the season. But for now, I’m not seeing any so-called holes in the rotation, nor lack of insurance if someone goes down.

We’re one of the deepest rosters in the association, but it’s our superior ball-skills that should rack up the points and Ws.
                            Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sun Oct 22, 2017, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                              OG is unselfish, can knock down a shot and plays smart. There’s no way we should acquire a vet for Casey to play over him. He needs to play as much as possible.
                              I agree. And don't worry, I don't think there's a vet free agent who fits that bill. That's why I brought up the trade market, which would likely mean a mid-season deal. By then if OG keeps up his play and makes any strides, he'll probably be a fixture in the rotation that even Casey wouldn't bench.

But if a vet becomes available, and the price isn't too high (ie wouldn't cost us a rotation piece or a 1st round pick), you have to consider solidifying your depth for the playoff run. Salaries will be a bit tricky since we're top heavy on contracts, but you never know, maybe Masai and his team can figure something out. Also the chance a vet on a bad team might get bought out.

Comment

That all bench unit is not going to work against good teams. Fool's gold right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X