The Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shredder wrote: View Post
    The worst road stretch of the season is over. We're 5-4. Pretty respectable. However I would like to see Powell fall back to the second unit and play his more natural role of a 2. Slide Miles into the starting line-up, and OG into the second units 3 position. I would also like to see more Siakim than FVV as he's been playing much better so far this year.

Maybe a Starting line up of KL, DD, CJ, Ibaka and JV, with a second unit of DW, NP, OG, Siakim and Poeltl might give us the edge we've been missing since we left on the road trip.
    Miles looked very good with the kids early, but now he's not getting enough space to shoot. Meanwhile the starters could really use a floor spreader. The switch would make a lot of sense. I think the only thing holding them back is that they really do want Powell to develop into a reliable starting wing, they'll give him some time to play through the rough start.

The Miles + starters minutes could come later in the game.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      Miles looked very good with the kids early, but now he's not getting enough space to shoot. Meanwhile the starters could really use a floor spreader. The switch would make a lot of sense. I think the only thing holding them back is that they really do want Powell to develop into a reliable starting wing, they'll give him some time to play through the rough start.

The Miles + starters minutes could come later in the game.
      If we want Miles to get more looks, putting him with the starters would be... a bad idea.

Miles with both DD and KL: 4.5 3PA/36 (40 MP)
      Miles with just DD: 15.1 3PA/36 (31 MP)
      Miles with just KL: 13.7 3PA/36 (21 MP)
      Miles without DD and KL: 11.3 3PA/36 (76 MP)

So, the obvious answer for getting Miles more shots is a) definitely do not ever even remotely think of putting him in the starting lineup, ever, don't do it, and b) maybe cut out the all-bench unit because there's no one to draw attention and get him shots (though it's still way, way better than putting him with the starters where he'll never touch the ball).
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The Rotation

I don’t know if you guys have ever watched a raptors game but norm off the bench is a bad idea. He eats up possessions because he thinks he has to be the “the man” when he’s off the bench but he can’t create for himself. He has a weak handle, can’t shoot off the dribble, has tunnel vision, and isn’t tall/strong enough to consistently finish in the paint. He’s perfect for the starters when he is playing alright. If he’s playing bad, it will only be magnified when he’s coming off the bench.

Comment

He also takes the ball out of Delon’s hands for some reason and delon needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

Comment

Plus the all-bench unit works even less with Powell replacing Miles - even younger, even smaller.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              If we want Miles to get more looks, putting him with the starters would be... a bad idea.

So, the obvious answer for getting Miles more shots is a) definitely do not ever even remotely think of putting him in the starting lineup, ever, don't do it, and b) maybe cut out the all-bench unit because there's no one to draw attention and get him shots (though it's still way, way better than putting him with the starters where he'll never touch the ball).
              Such small sample sizes! Don't you think the starters could get him the ball more than that? Seems like not enough time on the floor together to develop chemistry or go-to plays.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

It's not just about the number of shots though. It's about the quality of shots he may get next to Demar and Lowry, as well as the space he would create for them just by being on the floor. That is all highly theoretical mind you, but it does seem logical. And it really should be no surprise that he gets more shots with that bench unit, given the players he is out there with.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                  I don’t know if you guys have ever watched a raptors game but norm off the bench is a bad idea. He eats up possessions because he thinks he has to be the “the man” when he’s off the bench but he can’t create for himself. He has a weak handle, can’t shoot off the dribble, has tunnel vision, and isn’t tall/strong enough to consistently finish in the paint. He’s perfect for the starters when he is playing alright. If he’s playing bad, it will only be magnified when he’s coming off the bench.
                  Personally, I think the opportunity to go through those growing pains would be good for Norm, especially considering how the offence has changed. He does need to develop a better handle and better PnR ability. Coming off the bench would give him the chance to learn those skills, but considering the focus on ball movement no with the team, there won't be as much pressure to do the things he was attempting to do last year after Ross was traded. He wouldn't be expected every other possession to drive the ball into the teeth of the defence.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    It's not just about the number of shots though. It's about the quality of shots he may get next to Demar and Lowry, as well as the space he would create for them just by being on the floor. That is all highly theoretical mind you, but it does seem logical. And it really should be no surprise that he gets more shots with that bench unit, given the players he is out there with.
                    Gah, I should have posted percentages, I thought about it. He shoots way better with the bench units than with the starters, in the small sample so far.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Gah, I should have posted percentages, I thought about it. He shoots way better with the bench units than with the starters, in the small sample so far.
                      In any event, the situation right now doesn't demand a fix so really no reason to make a change. But it would be interesting to see how it would work.

Comment

Raptors could just stop with fixed rotations and become match up oriented. Stop with the hockey line changes. Use the regular season to figure out the best combinations to use versus different opponents. Only garbage teams have clear starters and bench players. Everyone is useful just not in every situation.

Comment

Wait a second.

You're drawing conclusions based off 11 games of data, I thought we weren't allowed to do that?

Not that I disagree with bringing Miles off the bench, but a lot of hypocrisy here. Any time something gets brought up with adjusting the JV/Ibaka situation the response is "20 games guys, 20 games".

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                            Wait a second.

You're drawing conclusions based off 11 games of data, I thought we weren't allowed to do that?

Not that I disagree with bringing Miles off the bench, but a lot of hypocrisy here. Any time something gets brought up with adjusting the JV/Ibaka situation the response is "20 games guys, 20 games".
                            The number of FGA a person averages beside certain players isn't something that would fluctuate too much over the course of a season

Comment

They need to completely take Bebe and one of Wright/VanVleet out of the rotation. Having a 12 men rotation is not going to work.

Also, one of DeRozan/Lowry has to be on the floor at ALL TIMES.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                                They need to completely take Bebe and one of Wright/VanVleet out of the rotation. Having a 12 men rotation is not going to work.

Also, one of DeRozan/Lowry has to be on the floor at ALL TIMES.
                                Raptors should be able to beat the lottery bound without wearing down starters

Comment

Working...
                                X