No announcement yet.

Your Ideal Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I disagree with the needing playing or coaching experience to be an analyst. Daryl Morey is one of the best GMs in the league, didn't play basketball at a high level at all or coach it, just a wiz kid with an MBA who loved the game and applied his critical thinking skills there.

Not to say the playing/coaching experience can't help, it certainly can. But it's not required unless it's playing or coaching that you want to get into.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      I disagree with the needing playing or coaching experience to be an analyst. Daryl Morey is one of the best GMs in the league, didn't play basketball at a high level at all or coach it, just a wiz kid with an MBA who loved the game and applied his critical thinking skills there.

Not to say the playing/coaching experience can't help, it certainly can. But it's not required unless it's playing or coaching that you want to get into.
      Daryl Morey is borderline genius with numbers, but if you don’t think he’s leaned heavily on guys who do have extensive, direct knowledge of the, shall we say, human side of the game, I suspect you would be surprised. And he’s not a fan on a forum, he’s spent years in basketball on a career level. I don’t count GMs in my statement about actual experience, as the clearly spend most of their lives look8ng at every aspect of every basketball related decision. My point is that you can’t, as a fan (even a rabid, relentless one) make truly concrete decisions on what is the right move based solely on data, without also having valid experience to back up your version of the eye test.

Data isn’t the be-all, end-all, in other words, and not having “statistically valid proof” that something will work is no reason to discount it. Dan’s own admission that he was wrong about Bargs and Derozan until the data was sufficient for him to change his mind is right in line with this. Many could see Bargs’ clear deficiencies long before he was ousted - things like lack of heart, etc. and the detrimental effect that had in the team’s performance as a whole - and similarly could see a path of growth/potential for Demar - well before the numbers correlated fully. It’s not a slag on Dan or any other fan with an opinion, just a reminder that confirmation bias affects both sides of any argument and all our opinions are basically half-baked.
      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
        Daryl Morey is borderline genius with numbers, but if you don’t think he’s leaned heavily on guys who do have extensive, direct knowledge of the, shall we say, human side of the game, I suspect you would be surprised. And he’s not a fan on a forum, he’s spent years in basketball on a career level. I don’t count GMs in my statement about actual experience, as the clearly spend most of their lives look8ng at every aspect of every basketball related decision. My point is that you can’t, as a fan (even a rabid, relentless one) make truly concrete decisions on what is the right move based solely on data, without also having valid experience to back up your version of the eye test.

Data isn’t the be-all, end-all, in other words, and not having “statistically valid proof” that something will work is no reason to discount it. Dan’s own admission that he was wrong about Bargs and Derozan until the data was sufficient for him to change his mind is right in line with this. Many could see Bargs’ clear deficiencies long before he was ousted - things like lack of heart, etc. and the detrimental effect that had in the team’s performance as a whole - and similarly could see a path of growth/potential for Demar - well before the numbers correlated fully. It’s not a slag on Dan or any other fan with an opinion, just a reminder that confirmation bias affects both sides of any argument and all our opinions are basically half-baked.
        To be fair, the numbers showed Bargs was garbage, like, right away. I trusted my eye test, and belief things could change, over them for a long time.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• God we need a basketball game, stat. The horses have been bludgeoned to death, and all the top threads are basically overlapping the same stale topics
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I think Casey got one thing right with this rotation at least—plugging Anunoby as the starter, and keeping him there. He's a perfect fit, and he's the future of that position anyways.

As for my lineups:

PG: Lowry
            SG: DeRozan
            SF: Anunoby
            PF: Ibaka
            C: Poeltl

Bench Depth Chart:

PG: Wright/VanVleet
            SG: Powell
            SF: Miles
            PF: Siakam
            C: Valanciunas/Noguiera

Avoid:

Ibaka and JV
            DeRozan and JV

Ibaka and JV are awful passing big men, and DeRozan (who has done a better job of this, this season) tends to look JV off.

Also, I'd like to see Siakam and Ibaka on the floor together more often. No clue what the +/- looks like with them both on the floor at the same time, but defensively I feel like it's pretty solid.

I'd love to see a lineup of:

Lowry
            Powell
            Anunoby
            Siakam
            Ibaka

I feel that'd make for one of our best defensive lineups. Not sure if that's been played often as of late.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I don't think the idea that DeRozan looks JV off is true anymore at all. If anything he's been over-passing to him this season especially in 1st quarters trying to force the ball inside.

DeRozan really doesn't play selfishly anymore, and has really cut down on the bad shot attempts which is why his TS% is a career high 57%.

Comment

I don't think the idea that DeRozan looks JV off is true anymore at all. If anything he's been over-passing to him this season especially in 1st quarters trying to force the ball inside.

DeRozan really doesn't play selfishly anymore, and has really cut down on the bad shot attempts which is why his TS% is a career high 57%.
                Yep. I'd much prefer the two lead guards to play aggressively, try to score, and be aware of passing options when the defence stops them, than to force the ball to the bigs when the defence hasn't committed yet.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Your Ideal Lineup

DanH wrote: View Post
                  Yep. I'd much prefer the two lead guards to play aggressively, try to score, and be aware of passing options when the defence stops them, than to force the ball to the bigs when the defence hasn't committed yet.
                  This.

I think this is the issue at the beginning of the 1st and 3rd Quarters. Demar and Lowry often try too hard to get the bigs involved and don't assert themselves early (like they should) and it's not helping the team at this time.

Maybe it will pay off in the playoffs as so many have suggested.

I understand that they want to keep an emphasis on sharing the ball, but they need to penetrate and find the bigs (if there's a pass available). This will make things easier for everyone and put less pressure on the bigs.

Ideally we want the bigs making quick decisions with the ball.... Make a move to the basket, pass or shoot. That's it! Keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by special1; Thu Nov 30, 2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Fwiw the starters play pretty damn good offense with almost a 112 oRTG. It's the defense that is shit.

Comment

Fwiw the starters play pretty damn good offense with almost a 112 oRTG. It's the defense that is shit.
                      Any ideas on how to fix that?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Any ideas on how to fix that?
                        I've already said how I'd do that.

Comment

Fwiw the starters play pretty damn good offense with almost a 112 oRTG. It's the defense that is shit.
                          They play incredible offence in the 2nd and 4th Q's. In the 1st and 3rd they are like league average with much worse turnover rates, which leads to JV and Ibaka (and DD) having to defend in transition.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I've already said how I'd do that.
                            I must have missed that post

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I must have missed that post
                              One more trolling comment and you're on ignore. I really don't have time for this.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote:

One more trolling comment and you're on ignore. I really don't have time for this.
                                Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Nov 30, 2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X