replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    But that's why we have you, to pop in randomly and take us down a peg
    "Judge not, lest ye be Superjudged"

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post
    I would consider myself on the right but when people say leftist it makes me cringe.
    "Evolutionist" and "truther" are equally cringe-worthy.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Coulda just typed "hey, dickheads, stop talking out your ass" and it would have saved ya a few paragraphs.
    But that's why we have you, to pop in randomly and take us down a peg

Leave a comment:

• Superjudge
    replied
    BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    In the age of internet, most of the writers, bloggers and especially forum members go full white or black with their opinions. Very few writers, even fewer bloggers and only a handsome forum contributors on a given forum are able to stay level-headed these days and contribute with deep and rich "pro & contra" type of commentary instead of pushing what often comes off as a pre-conceived opinion that is supported by hand-picked stats and anecdotes.

Some give very strong opinions on purpose, because it draws attention. It stirs the pot. People get angry and they react, which in turn attracts other people who share the same "opinion" with the writer. From there on, the hell breaks loose between two camps and very little in the middle to balance it all out. It's a simple tactic to attract traffic and most fall for it over and over again. Ironically, the same two sides barking at each other will occasionally point out in a brief and recurring moment of lucidity that the author did it on purpose and everyone agrees (collectively tapping on their shoulders of superiority over the author), but the very next instant they'll continue with the argument. Yes, the winner is always the author of that kind of article or a post on the forum, because he'll always get validated by someone. In terms of conversation, this has NO VALUE.

It all comes down to this : internet commenters and forum members give strong opinions because they can. They don't have to show their face. IT'S EASY to be extremely critical of something or someone when you're hiding behind anonymity. A bulk of those commenters can be considered trolls and they know exactly what they're doing. Others do it, because they are convinced that they're right and they are on a "mission" to prove that "their bible" is the only one that is right and true.

In this very post, I will not get into any debate about any specific raptors player, the coaching staff or the front office. Not one of them is spotless, just like me and you. We all have flaws. I don't want to point fingers at any writer or commenter and I strongly encourage you to not do that either.

Rather, the point that I want to make with this post is about responsibility, thoroughness and honesty and what can be gained off of these. I wanted to encourage everybody to be more open-minded and honest with their opinions. Spend more time looking for proof that goes against your established opinion. For you and for everybody else, there is very little to be gained from always looking at evidence that supports your already established opinion. But there is so much to be gained and so many interesting conversations to be had if you and everybody else tries to prove themselves wrong. Try to spend as much time as possible with proving yourself wrong and try to post as many balanced articles and comments as possible. It is hard. It is very hard. That's is why only few writers, bloggers and forum members are really well respected and taken seriously. It is because they bring something OF VALUE to the table. You don't have to be one of the best, but you can do your best trying to. I hope I can be my best and I hope you can too.
    Coulda just typed "hey, dickheads, stop talking out your ass" and it would have saved ya a few paragraphs.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Are you a "righty?"
    I would consider myself on the right but when people say leftist it makes me cringe.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    OP applies to life, not just internet msg boards.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Someone got into the Christmas egg nog a little early .... good on ya

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post
    Yo forgot leftist... I hate the word leftist
    Are you a "righty?"

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    someones been on real gm to much lately

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    Luckily I'm one of the level headed and rational people you mentioned in the first two sentences so I skipped the rest.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    TRex wrote: View Post

Leave a comment:

• Deems
    replied
    BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    In the age of internet, most of the writers, bloggers and especially forum members go full white or black with their opinions. Very few writers, even fewer bloggers and only a handsome forum contributors on a given forum are able to stay level-headed these days and contribute with deep and rich "pro & contra" type of commentary instead of pushing what often comes off as a pre-conceived opinion that is supported by hand-picked stats and anecdotes.

Some give very strong opinions on purpose, because it draws attention. It stirs the pot. People get angry and they react, which in turn attracts other people who share the same "opinion" with the writer. From there on, the hell breaks loose between two camps and very little in the middle to balance it all out. It's a simple tactic to attract traffic and most fall for it over and over again. Ironically, the same two sides barking at each other will occasionally point out in a brief and recurring moment of lucidity that the author did it on purpose and everyone agrees (collectively tapping on their shoulders of superiority over the author), but the very next instant they'll continue with the argument. Yes, the winner is always the author of that kind of article or a post on the forum, because he'll always get validated by someone. In terms of conversation, this has NO VALUE.

It all comes down to this : internet commenters and forum members give strong opinions because they can. They don't have to show their face. IT'S EASY to be extremely critical of something or someone when you're hiding behind anonymity. A bulk of those commenters can be considered trolls and they know exactly what they're doing. Others do it, because they are convinced that they're right and they are on a "mission" to prove that "their bible" is the only one that is right and true.

In this very post, I will not get into any debate about any specific raptors player, the coaching staff or the front office. Not one of them is spotless, just like me and you. We all have flaws. I don't want to point fingers at any writer or commenter and I strongly encourage you to not do that either.

Rather, the point that I want to make with this post is about responsibility, thoroughness and honesty and what can be gained off of these. I wanted to encourage everybody to be more open-minded and honest with their opinions. Spend more time looking for proof that goes against your established opinion. For you and for everybody else, there is very little to be gained from always looking at evidence that supports your already established opinion. But there is so much to be gained and so many interesting conversations to be had if you and everybody else tries to prove themselves wrong. Try to spend as much time as possible with proving yourself wrong and try to post as many balanced articles and comments as possible. It is hard. It is very hard. That's is why only few writers, bloggers and forum members are really well respected and taken seriously. It is because they bring something OF VALUE to the table. You don't have to be one of the best, but you can do your best trying to. I hope I can be my best and I hope you can too.
    Are you running for office or something?

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    TRex wrote: View Post
    Too lazy to read this whole thing. What's the point of this thread?
    [IMG]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X