Game #25: Toronto Raptors 91 - Los Angeles Clippers 96

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Yes, if Lowry made a few threes, the team wins. Mostly because of JV, though.

And, "a" game like this? Over the past 7 games JV has the 2nd best net rating on the team, behind OG.
    I already know JV plays well against bad teams. I'm worried about the teams that make the playoffs. Yes, he has played well over the last 7 games. How many minutes is he averaging in that stretch? With less minutes JV has less of chance being exposed on D. JV is a solid 20-25 min player. I think your D suffer if he out there for more.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      The West is overrated. They have 3 great teams.. and a bunch of mediocre to bad teams.
      West is different this year.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        I already know JV plays well against bad teams. I'm worried about the teams that make the playoffs. Yes, he has played well over the last 7 games. How many minutes is he averaging in that stretch? With less minutes JV has less of chance being exposed on D. JV is a solid 20-25 min player. I think your D suffer if he out there for more.

21.4 MPG over the past 7 games. Prior to those 7 games, 20.1.

No one is saying he should play significantly more minutes consistently. Just that he's been key to the team's success lately and in specific situations should be used for more minutes, like the game last night, and that those specific situations can rear their head in the playoffs and the team shouldn't be quick to move on from the only guy on the roster that can currently handle those situations.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I hope Jerry West was watching this game. Great showcase for JV. Wish FVV had a better game though.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

The Raptors had an 80% DREB% last night with JV on the court, helping them to a 93 DRTG.

When he sat, they had a 64% DREB%, so even with more mobile defenders on the court, that DRTG rose to 99. Meanwhile, the offence absolutely died, dropping from struggling along at 101 with JV to absolutely anemic at 75 ORTG in the 20 minutes he sat.

What a stupid reason to lose a game. How do you not capitalize on a night where JV, our erstwhile weak point, gives you that?

Oh, god there's more on-off nuttiness. With JV on the court and setting screens and giving a roll man option, the team was getting their inconsistent scoring entirely off of ball movement, with an AST% of 68%. While he sat? 38%. Turnovers leapt from 10% to 15% when he sat. OREB% dropped from 8% (poor) to 4% (hilarious). eFG% dropped 5 points. TS% dropped over 10 points. AST/TO went from over 2 to 0.7.

Like, with all that info, how in the hell does anyone decide that's the guy that needs to sit late? Don't give me the "he was gassed" excuse - Ibaka was far worse off on that front, and it showed in his late (or non-existent) defensive rotations and bricking jumpers front rim late in the game. Why Casey rolled Ibaka out so early in the 4th is beyond me, but if you have to go that route and want to close with him, you've got to get him a few minute breather with Siakam out there beside JV in the middle of the 4th.
            Casey's excuses are never ending, is what bothers me. He talks out of 2 sides of his mouth with JV. One day it's "jv will close if he dominates" last night? "Spacing". Spacing?? When nobody can hit a broad side of a barn and you have one guy scoring and playing strong at both ends, you value spacing more than him literally controlling the pace of the game. That just shows there's nothing JV can do. It's like "heads I win, tails you lose" scenario.

Basketball is sometimes a simple concept. JV was far and away our best player. He was also neutralizing their best player. If he's not in then, why play him ever in the 4th? Hell, if he's unqualified to play the last 2 minutes no matter how dominant, why play him ever in any game?

Casey is by all accounts a good guy, great 82 game marathon manager, steering the ship without rocking the boat. But I watch a lot of other teams and he's easily one of the worst late game managers in the nba, always has been. I doubt many coaches would have pulled jv there in that spot. Hell doc rivers awarded jordan for strong play, and he doesn't always close. Casey STILL benched his big guy and went small, as he played great and his matchup stayed out there.

If not now, then never I guess. Shitty.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

21.4 MPG over the past 7 games. Prior to those 7 games, 20.1.

No one is saying he should play significantly more minutes consistently. Just that he's been key to the team's success lately and in specific situations should be used for more minutes, like the game last night, and that those specific situations can rear their head in the playoffs and the team shouldn't be quick to move on from the only guy on the roster that can currently handle those situations.
              I see your point but, looking at the East playoff standing what team would put us in that scenario? I can only think of Detroit out of the bunch.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Lmao JV hive been waiting for a game like this. Out in full force. Your best player/3pt shooter makes one of the 6 3s he missed raptors win.

If DeRozan doesn't choke in the 4th quarter, Raps win. If Ibaka doesn't play C down the stretch, Raps win.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  The two-PG lineup was supposed to be a once-in-a-while, desperation move to throw a wrench into the opposition's schemes. It's now turned into Casey's preferred closing lineup.
                  It’s always going to be 3 ball handlers (2PGs +DeMar) on the court closing games. Always. That’s a fundamental Casey core offensive philosophy, which is, to over-protect the ball at the end of games, which FVV normally does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    If DeRozan doesn't choke in the 4th quarter, Raps win. If Ibaka doesn't play C down the stretch, Raps win.
                    Yes, one game against a team thats playing for lottery balls. On a second night of a back to back. Which I believe was the second of the season. Y'all are making way too big of a deal over this. Most night Deebo is clutch and Ibaka closes out well at C.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Yes, one game against a team thats playing for lottery balls. On a second night of a back to back. Which I believe was the second of the season. Y'all are making way too big of a deal over this. Most night Deebo is clutch and Ibaka closes out well at C.

Most nights ibaka isn't playing against deandre jordan, and most nights his center doesn't have 15 rebounds and 23 points and a good rim presence. Most nights you're nursing a lead, not tied or trailing, so cj miles should have also played over the vleet man. You know, cause most nights someone on the team other than cj or jv can shoot.

See, if you coach every single night like it's "most nights", you'll drop a good handful of games that will bite you in April. Casey is a fine "most nights coach". It's the lack of common sense adjustments that has been his m.o. for years.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        It’s always going to be 3 ball handlers (2PGs +DeMar) on the court closing games. Always. That’s a fundamental Casey core offensive philosophy, which is, to over-protect the ball at the end of games, which FVV normally does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I mean, it's a nice idea, but the Raptors are roughly average (17th) in TOV% in the clutch this year. If that's the goal, to reduce turnovers at the expense of scoring, defence and rebounding, it's not working.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Did you not see the clutch stats I posted? Most nights the team is terrible in the clutch. Like, 9th worst clutch net rating in the league.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Most nights ibaka isn't playing against deandre jordan, and most nights his center doesn't have 15 rebounds and 23 points and a good rim presence. Most nights you're nursing a lead, not tied or trailing, so cj miles should have also played over the vleet man. You know, cause most nights someone on the team other than cj or jv can shoot.

See, if you coach every single night like it's "most nights", you'll drop a good handful of games that will bite you in April. Casey is a fine "most nights coach". It's the lack of common sense adjustments that has been his m.o. for years.
                            Yes but, somehow he has the 3rd best playoff record over the last couple years. That sounds pretty good to me.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                              It's funny how things all of a sudden become an issue when we lose ONE game lol. Fred has BEEN closing lately and we've been winning. I didn't hear anyone complain then. Kyle has an off game and all of a sudden he's trash and can't close lol. When he's been playing extremely well as of late. You guys are something else man. Y'all must be bipolar or something lol. The only complaint I have is not playing JV down the stretch and us missing open looks. But the latter will happen when you're playing a back to back on the road. Other than that we still played good defence and moved the ball. Shots just didn't fall. To me the lineups were why we lost and that's on Casey.
                              GLF...we are all soooooooo proud of you.

Comment

Did you not see the clutch stats I posted? Most nights the team is terrible in the clutch. Like, 9th worst clutch net rating in the league.
                                Yes, playing JV will solve all that.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X