Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can MLSE do to address the "Canada problem"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jclaw wrote: View Post
    But I think that's too simple. Why can't an company that advertises on ESPN (say Nike or Gatorade) say there's a local market of over 6 million and a bonus national population of 30 million people who all can buy Nike shoes or drink Gatorade? We want to market to them (along with the american audience).
    How many of those millions actually watch Raptors on TV?
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

The quickest thing to solve this would be to get espn and TNT etc in Canada. But of course that's not happening anytime soon.

Even the players hate that they don't get espn when they move here and they have to watch cfl and curling
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

The point being raised as to "why espn does not have a dedicated channel on canadian cable?"...I believe the answer lies with TSN and Sportsnet which pretty much control sports viewing here.

hey also show quite a bit of espn content programming. Apart from the fact the pop. here is 1/10th that of the US ...espn adds to their revenue anyway by licensing all of their content shown on cable and cares not I think. I am sure they have studies on the increase or decrease of viewership if one of the teams were "foreign" and hence the revenue change. There may also be an unholy alliance with the CRTC to stay out thus protecting the aforementioned sports channels.

The most affected are the very good individual players (DD etc) who would like their friends and family watch them on the nationally (US) televised games and/or increase their own name/brand recognition.

Demographics in the NBA are also changing fast...I saw a stat re the nationalities on the 76ers/Raps teams...there were 10 (not incl. the US). Nice.

Comment

People need to think about this issue more in terms of ratings. Why were the Raps on US TV a lot more during the Vince Carter era? We weren't a winning team then. Everybody wanted to see VC.

ESPN definitely likes to feature exciting up and coming young rising stars, as one of their story lines. We don't have any of those kind of players. Raps are kind of a boring, drama-free, winning veteran team..... I'll take that over Christmas games.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            How many of those millions actually watch Raptors on TV?
            Viewership of NBA games in Canada has doubled on average across all networks since 2012-13 — an average of 54 per cent per season, The Canadian Press reported.

The Raptors' own TV ratings have also more doubled over five years, from 108,000 in 2010-11 to 246,000 in 2014-15. Ratings have gone down to 217,000 in 2015-16, but end-of-season audiences should drive that number up, according to the Raptors' broadcast department.

But these numbers still do not approach the Vince Carter era, when the team averaged 713,000 viewers on CTV in 2001.

Raptors games still trail well behind other sports in the ratings. During their competing regular seasons, the NFL, CFL and NHL still regularly pull in from two to 10 times as many viewers as the Raptors and the NBA usually can.
            /

Comment

Vince is a fucking goat. He drew 700k viewers on Canadian TV. Wow. We can't even get to 300k now.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                Vince is a fucking goat. He drew 700k viewers on Canadian TV. Wow. We can't even get to 300k now.
                2001 was strange. Top golfer was black, top rapper was white and most popular athlete in canada was a basketball player from Florida
                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

Not to take anything away from Vince, but CTV was rabbit ear TV. Raptors all cable now.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I think you need to have bell and or rogers invest in small stakes in networks down south... that would be a good start.

It would be the long game but yeah.

Comment

Do something to fix the disincentives at play

Or somehow make the Finals...

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        Do something to fix the disincentives at

Or somehow make the Finals...
                        Making the finals would guarantee the premier game against the winner.I believe in small steps.

Comment

Working...
                        X