Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Trade Rumours Thread (Deadline February 8th, 3pm ET)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    OG is too much to put in the deal. As soon as you put him in we are getting ripped off.

I'd only include OG in a trade for a Gasol level player if he was closer to DeMar's age and tied down for 2-3 years. No way am I doing that for a 33 year old.

If Memphis wouldn't do it without OG, then fine, no deal is happening. There's basically no point to even talk about a deal with OG in it, because there is no way in hell Masai is going to send him the other way along with JV to get Gasol. It's not worth it.

The idea of my deal is to try to leverage some of these young guys who have played really well this year into a star player like Gasol. You say Memphis wouldn't be interested, but I'm not sure who is going to offer them these high-end prospects you're talking about. Getting JV, a center who could probably give them 20-10 if they feature him, along with Siakam and Wright is a pretty good return. And Gasol's value only goes down next year because it's his final guaranteed year, and he could easily opt out at the end to try to get one last payday (although I'm not sure he'd do that).

I'd say we'd be buying low on Gasol right now while selling high on JV, Siakam and Wright who are all playing phenomenally well this year. Those are the type of deals where you can come away with a really good player for a low price, kind of like we did with Serge.
    I think you're overestimating the value of our young players. Again, the guys you list are not all that young, and the ones that they would control all have question marks. If they're trading their best player, they probably want an asset they think could be a top 5 piece of their new core. I think Wright and Siakam are not easy sells for that.

And well, do you think the Grizzlies might be interested in the high pick Cleveland would be able to offer? If we don't offer OG and the Cavs offer that in whatever package, where do you think they trade him? Lord knows the Cavs have enough contracts to figure out different options for money matching. There are definitely teams like Boston and Milwaukee who could use the upgrade. Boston would struggle to match money but have extra picks. Milwaukee might build an offer around Parker, and can include Brogdon and possibly Maker as well. Don't know if Portland would have interest, but Nurkic and a 1st could be a solid foundation of an offer. The Wizards might be an option if they are willing to give up Oubre and a 1st. They could basically try to build the offer around either Gortat or Mahinmi and trade the other in a separate deal or as part of a 3-team deal.

And all of this ignores that really, the Grizzlies still have no incentive to trade Gasol if they don't have good offers during the season. If they are offered nothing of good long-term value, then what do they actually risk waiting until the summer? The worst that could happen is them again not getting anything with good long-term value.

Comment

• why would we trade valanciunas+extra for gasol right now?

Gasol is on the decline and with our hilarious perimeter defenders he really won't look much better than JV.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
        why would we trade valanciunas+extra for gasol right now?

Gasol is on the decline and with our hilarious perimeter defenders he really won't look much better than JV.
        Actually the reason we'd do it now is exactly that. There's a sell-high aspect to JV and Wright especially and a buy-low aspect to Gasol. And our perimeter defenders aren't "hilarious" you do realize we have the 3rd best defense in the league right? Anunoby is special defensively, Powell is good, Lowry and FVV have both been good this year. Miles is passable and so is DeRozan when he actually tries. Gasol, despite his age, is still one of the top 3 best defensive centers in the league imo and top 5-10 on offense. He adds another level to this team.

If you look at the impact Horford has for Boston, I think that's what Gasol could have here, if not to a greater extent. If we can get him without giving up OG or Miles (really need his shooting with the bench unit) that's a no-brainer imo. JV has been great this year, but we have a replacement lined up for him in 1-2 years in Poeltl and Gasol is better than him right now still.

Comment

• I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I don't see how you get Gasol for JV and spare parts without including OG, and then you either need to give Miles to help match money, or add a couple more young pieces on top of that.

Again, they have zero incentive to trade Gasol if they aren't offered a piece that can be part of the post-Gasol/Conley core. If I'm an opposing GM looking at our roster and assets for that kind of piece, OG is literally the only one.

If Wright didn't have durability questions, he could definitely fit the bill, but these days it's also generally easier to replace PG talent than to find a versatile wing defender like OG. I don't see why they gamble on Wright's healthy. So could Poeltl, whose worst case is a very good role playing C who could start depending on the rest of your starting 5, but if you're trading JV already that seems unlikely to happen.

Memphis will have a lottery pick this year if they keep going the way they do. If they trade Gasol, they'd want a piece that can develop along with that lottery pick. If they can't get that, I don't see why they make a trade. And that should turn off potential trade suitors mid-season.

Really looking at it, the most natural partner may be Cleveland just to get another high pick. Put Gasol in for Love, and they probably get better on both ends. With Gasol's range, you can still play Thompson next to him. Memphis doesn't care too much about eating Love's salary, and may even look to trade him again as soon as possible, but bringing in two lottery picks in one year is a good way to start a rebuild. Given Gasol's age, not sure they get a better pick offered, and Cleveland is all about win now and is obviously willing to blow assets on that goal.

Comment

• I didn't say that we WILL get him for that.

I said that's what I would offer. I don't see how that's so difficult to understand. If the price to get Gasol is giving up OG Anunoby, I am not interested. Period. It's not complicated.

Comment

• And you guys keep mentioning other teams like Cleveland giving up better assets. Is Cleveland really going to give up a top 5-6 pick for Marc Gasol? If they are, then yeah we can't compete with that, but that's highly unlikely in my opinion. They have no guarantee LeBron is going to stay, they're not gonna pass up the chance to get a potential future superstar for a guy who can't help them in the long-term.

Looking at the other playoff teams that could use Gasol
              - Boston can't make a deal for him without trading Horford, so that's dead. No way is Ainge cashing in those chips on a 33 year old Gasol when he was hesitant to even use them on Paul George or Jimmy Butler.
              - Washington could potentially put Gortat and a mid 1st round pick on the table. I doubt they'd include Oubre with the way he's been playing
              - Milwaukee's best asset to include is Jabari and I don't see them putting him in that deal, it's too short term of a deal for a very young team. Other than that they can't really beat the offer I mentioned
              - Houston and Golden State have no real feasible way to acquire him
              - Minnesota, Denver, New Orleans, LAC and OKC have no need for him
              - You mentioned Portland offering Nurkic but why would they do that? They're a relatively young team and not desperate to win now. Plus Nurkic is about to hit RFA so it's questionable how much value he'd have to Memphis

There aren't exactly tons of mega-offers for Gasol waiting out there. If they're willing to trade him I think we could put a package together that doesn't include OG and be competitive.

Comment

And you guys keep mentioning other teams like Cleveland giving up better assets. Is Cleveland really going to give up a top 5-6 pick for Marc Gasol? If they are, then yeah we can't compete with that, but that's highly unlikely in my opinion. They have no guarantee LeBron is going to stay, they're not gonna pass up the chance to get a potential future superstar for a guy who can't help them in the long-term.

Looking at the other playoff teams that could use Gasol
                - Boston can't make a deal for him without trading Horford, so that's dead. No way is Ainge cashing in those chips on a 33 year old Gasol when he was hesitant to even use them on Paul George or Jimmy Butler.
                - Washington could potentially put Gortat and a mid 1st round pick on the table. I doubt they'd include Oubre with the way he's been playing
                - Milwaukee's best asset to include is Jabari and I don't see them putting him in that deal, it's too short term of a deal for a very young team. Other than that they can't really beat the offer I mentioned
                - Houston and Golden State have no real feasible way to acquire him
                - Minnesota, Denver, New Orleans, LAC and OKC have no need for him
                - You mentioned Portland offering Nurkic but why would they do that? They're a relatively young team and not desperate to win now. Plus Nurkic is about to hit RFA so it's questionable how much value he'd have to Memphis

There aren't exactly tons of mega-offers for Gasol waiting out there. If they're willing to trade him I think we could put a package together that doesn't include OG and be competitive.
                The answer to your question is many of those franchises are run more poorly than Toronto and Memphis, and could feel pressure to help their short term chances.

Why would Cleveland do it? To try and make it more enticing for LeBron to stay. Investing in players past their prime is what Cleveland does. They have no real young talent, so even if they were to keep the pick, they're looking at a long rebuild that could take years. It's not really a high risk move for them.

Washington has been selling their future since they started this run with Wall. Trading picks for fairly unspectacular talents like Gortat and Nene. They are not a well run team. I could see them being willing to pay whatever price if they think it ups their chances this year and next.

Milwaukee has watched Jabari miss a ton of time since being drafted. They are a very young team, and they lack veteran leadership and a quality big man. Gasol makes them very obviously better by a much wider margin than it probably does for any other team on that list, including Toronto. They have bloated contracts in Henson and Teletovic that provide little-to-no on court value and they could easily part with. I could easily see them being willing to gamble and trade Parker. He's more expendable for them than OG is for us. Put Gasol next to Giannis, and how dangerous do they become this year? I think Brogdon is the piece they are more hesitant to part with. He solidifies their backcourt depth. If they could do this without moving Brogdon I think they pull the trigger without hesitation.

Portland is just a wildcard. Nurkic isn't exactly a superstar in the making, and their management is a bit all over the place. Not sure why they'd make the move, but they are a small market team and might have interest if they think it gives them a bigger chance of winning during Lillard's contract. Their window isn't longer than ours, and they're a treadmill team. Lillard-McCollum will no longer be young players to build around by the time Gasol's contract is up. The small market squeeze could pressure them, just like Milwaukee but without as good reason in this scenario, into making this kind of move.

---

And again, all this ignores that Memphis has bargaining power. If they don't like the pieces coming back in any deals, the worst that could happen by waiting is still getting similar offers. There is no pressure on them to trade Gasol.

Comment

• At this point it's pretty clear you're just not understanding what I'm saying.

That offer is the most I would give to get Gasol. If they demand OG I would not do a trade with them. It's really that simple. If that offer turns out not to be enough to get Marc, then fine, we'll roll with what we have.

I imagine Masai would have a similar approach, and no way in hell does he put Anunoby on the table for Gasol, whether that means missing out on him or not.

Comment

At this point it's pretty clear you're just not understanding what I'm saying.

That offer is the most I would give to get Gasol. If they demand OG I would not do a trade with them. It's really that simple. If that offer turns out not to be enough to get Marc, then fine, we'll roll with what we have.

I imagine Masai would have a similar approach, and no way in hell does he put Anunoby on the table for Gasol, whether that means missing out on him or not.
                    I'm not understanding that you've repeatedly said you think an offer without OG would be competitive for him?

You're right, I'm not understanding that because it makes no sense.

You keep saying an offer without him would be good, but frankly it would be hot garbage and not competitive.

**might as well be saying an offer of Ibaka plus scraps would be competitive for Davis. Or Lowry plus scraps would be competitive for Curry.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Jan 28, 2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I'm not understanding that you've repeatedly said you think an offer without OG would be competitive for him?

You're right, I'm not understanding that because makes no sense.

You keep saying an offer without him would be good, but frankly it would be hot garbage and not competitive.

Actually the hot garbage would be Memphis offering us Gasol for JV and Anunoby, which is a ripoff.

Comment

Actually the hot garbage would be Memphis offering us Gasol for JV and Anunoby, which is a ripoff.
                        Which is what I've been arguing from the start, amending that I don't know why Memphis would settle for less since they are not under any pressure to trade him mid season

Comment

• You keep saying they're not under pressure, but next year is the last guaranteed year of his deal. Trading a 34 year old rental of Gasol next year could net very little in return compared to right now. So yeah maybe the pressure isn't immense, but if there's a time to trade him for the most possible value it's this season, not next.

Comment

• Knowing how well the defense has been with JV and Ibaka I've turned the corner on a potential Gasol+Ibaka line up. I think now it can work. I was worried that since JV only averages about 21-24 mpg, and Gasol would use up about 30-33mpg that those extra 10 or so minutes would kill our defense. Not so much anymore. I'd be worried about rebounding though. Gasol isn't really a great rebounder. He averages 8 a game, but his TRB% is a measly 14.3% which is pretty bad for a starting caliber center.

Ultimately though I'm sure Memphis will want a draft pick back which makes us a bad trade partner this season.

Comment

You keep saying they're not under pressure, but next year is the last guaranteed year of his deal. Trading a 34 year old rental of Gasol next year could net very little in return compared to right now. So yeah maybe the pressure isn't immense, but if there's a time to trade him for the most possible value it's this season, not next.
                              If that "value" is zero good long term pieces, there is no pressure. There is no difference between getting nothing good now and getting nothing good later.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Knowing how well the defense has been with JV and Ibaka I've turned the corner on a potential Gasol+Ibaka line up. I think now it can work. I was worried that since JV only averages about 21-24 mpg, and Gasol would use up about 30-33mpg that those extra 10 or so minutes would kill our defense. Not so much anymore. I'd be worried about rebounding though. Gasol isn't really a great rebounder. He averages 8 a game, but his TRB% is a measly 14.3% which is pretty bad for a starting caliber center.

Ultimately though I'm sure Memphis will want a draft pick back which makes us a bad trade partner this season.
                                I can't remember who did it, but there was an excellent video I watched explaining how some centers like Marc Gasol and the Lopez brothers help your rebounding a lot more than their numbers would indicate. They are more focused on clearing space and boxing out than actually securing the rebound themselves, so it frees up other guys to get the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X