Game #43 Toronto Raptors 96 - Detroit Pistons 91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #43 Toronto Raptors 96 - Detroit Pistons 91

The Toronto Raptors are reeling a bit after two tough losses, and will look to bounce back against the similarly struggling Pistons. The Raps are halfway through what might be their toughest six game stretch of the season, so they will definitely want to right the ship with a back to back against the Spurs and Timberwolves looming.

PROJECTED STARTERS

KEYS TO THE GAME

1. Tip-off: The Raptors had an awful first half against the Warriors before a great second half where they almost got the win. The Raptors had an awful first three quarters against the Sixers before a much better 4th quarter where they almost got the win. Logically, this seems to indicate that if the Raptors can play well from the start, they have a good chance of getting the win

2. Front and Centre: The JV-Drummond matchup is always the one that gets pointed out when the Raptors play Detroit, and for good reason: if JV can hold his own on the inside, that neutralizes Detroit's biggest threat. We'll see if Jonas can "welcome Drummond to Lithuania", as Matt Devlin would say

3. Eastern Tilt: Similar to Milwaukee and Philadelphia, the Pistons are solidly in the 4th-9th seed range and are a definite potential playoff matchup for the Raptors. This is a game that can be used to both build on the cushion between us and them, and also send a message before spring rolls around. The Raps got it done against the Bucks, but faltered against Philly. Let's see if they can handle Detroit

LET'S GO RAPS!!!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

I was almost about to post my thread.

Comment

For a newcomer I'm curious how you all decide who is going to post the game thread. I'm not technically savvy so it would never be me. It there a plan or some traditions?

I'm watching the Pelicans up on the Celts as I write...hoping they can hang on. The Raptors really need to try and make up some ground and then beat Boston soundly in the head to heads. That top seed would be beautiful. I worry about this Detroit game; mainly because they are so wildly inconsistent. I have the feeling they could have a hot game and beat us badly...which could set off (or continue I guess) a slump. The Spurs will obviously be difficult and Minny might actually be one of the best 4 teams in the league right now. So whatever it takes...JV and Poeltl keeping Drummond down, Demar playing sound and smart and the bench gang showing their intensity. If Kyle's butt isn't right he shouldn't play.
      Last edited by Mitch P; Tue Jan 16, 2018, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Zainab wrote: View Post
        I was almost about to post my thread.
        We're resting you for the playoffs
        OG is our king

Comment

Mitch P wrote: View Post
          For a newcomer I'm curious how you all decide who is going to post the game thread. I'm not technically savvy so it would never be me. It there a plan or some traditions?

I'm watching the Pelicans up on the Celts as I write...hoping they can hang on. The Raptors really need to try and make up some ground and then beat Boston soundly in the head to heads. That top seed would be beautiful. I worry about this Detroit game; mainly because they are so wildly inconsistent. I have the feeling they could have a hot game and beat us badly...which could set off (or continue I guess) a slump. The Spurs will obviously be difficult and Minny might actually be one of the best 4 teams in the league right now. So whatever it takes...JV and Poeltl keeping Drummond down, Demar playing sound and smart and the bench gang showing their intensity. If Kyle's butt isn't right he shouldn't play.
          Well, anyone can make a thread but if you lose a game then you don't make the next thread cuz your streak just ended.

But, we should make a schedule so that my beautiful threads don't go to waste. And, obviously my threads mean pressure so all the games I've ever started they have been super competitive. I grant myself the title of "GT Fav"

Comment

Comment

Let’s hope the Raps take the momentum of a Celtics loss to start the game tomorrow. And our next, next, next opponent (Minny) just lost to Orlando.

Comment

Well, anyone can make a thread but if you lose a game then you don't make the next thread cuz your streak just ended.

But, we should make a schedule so that my beautiful threads don't go to waste. And, obviously my threads mean pressure so all the games I've ever started they have been super competitive. I grant myself the title of "GT Fav"
                http://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/sh...thread+leaders

I believe we’re tied . I’ll have to play catch up this year.

Comment

"GT fav"? I had a five-game win streak before your little two-game run, I don't think you can give yourself a title like that
                  Last edited by 007; Wed Jan 17, 2018, 12:45 AM.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but this might bot be the best time to try and run a winning streak. I mean you "thread guys", not the Raptors but I guess really that's the same thing. At least Boston lost tonight. New Orleans showed that the Raptors aren't the only team that can'c close games. Their sets were pure garbage and there was no way that game should have ended up in OT. I really expected the Celtics to somehow pull it off again but their offence was really bad too. Lets hope this starts them on a nice dive.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                      That was a crazy punch Afflalo took. The kind that breaks your hand...not the other guys's face. Tempers have been running very high of late. I'll have to watch some old Ron Artest/Pistons videos to get ready for tomorrow night.

Comment

That was a crazy punch Afflalo took. The kind that breaks your hand...not the other guys's face. Tempers have been running very high of late. I'll have to watch some old Ron Artest/Pistons videos to get ready for tomorrow night.
                        He got punked. He started it, missed badly and got head locked haha. By a euro yet
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          He got punked. He started it, missed badly and got head locked haha. By a euro yet
                          And he's going to get suspended for 3-7 games, haha

Comment

Perhaps I'm being pessimistic but this might bot be the best time to try and run a winning streak. I mean you "thread guys", not the Raptors but I guess really that's the same thing. At least Boston lost tonight. New Orleans showed that the Raptors aren't the only team that can'c close games. Their sets were pure garbage and there was no way that game should have ended up in OT. I really expected the Celtics to somehow pull it off again but their offence was really bad too. Lets hope this starts them on a nice dive.
                            The Celtics offense is Kyrie Irving... and he was off tonight...going 8 for 24.

Its a loooong season and Irving is not exactly the poster child for durability. He may be wearing down a bit as he has carried the mail for the Chowderheads night in and night out all year.

He is very likely going to the All Star game and won't get that break for some down time. They might start to give him some more rest over the 2nd half of the season to avoid an injury.... and when they do .. its going to be tougher to generate points as he is pretty much the sole creator on that team.

It might come down to that last game in April between the Raps and Celts for first in the East.
                            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

Weird - 8 of the 9 teams in the league with the best records are on a losing streak.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                              X