Game #49 Toronto Raptors 109 - Minnesota Timberwolves 104

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe he'll be an RFA so he can be brought back (just need to match any offer he gets). The issue would be how much tax would MLSE/Masai willing to pay to bring him back.
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    I don't think Freddy's going anywhere.
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I would assume he wants to stay, but do we have his Bird Rights? If not, might be quite a few teams calling his agent this summer.
    Where the hell is DanH..I want answers you people are all guessing, thinking and assuming lol
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      I think this is the first year we have no obvious weak hole/whipping boy

2017 carroll
      2016 scola
      2015 vasquez/amir broken ankles/chuck hayes
      2014 salmons

I mean sure we've had guys in rough patches and what not, but we're at least 2 deep in every position and right now the biggest lineup issue is finding everyone minutes
      I would say Anunoby hitting the rookie wall has become a bit of a concern, though, if Powell can put things together in the last couple of months it's much less of an issue. I'm also a little bit worried about what happens when JV goes off the court. I like Poeltl but him and Siakam playing meaningful minutes against the Celtics and Cavs gives me some pause.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I wonder if any team sees him as a future starting PG. If so, and he gets a starting PG salary offer, would be hard pressed for MLSE to match just to maintain his 2nd/3rd string status.

Unless Masai legitimately sees Freddy as part of the post-Lowry succession plan.
        FVV is at best a solid backup. I don't know if other teams would shoe him in as a starter considering he's never started for the Raptors. Even when Kyle was out of the lineup it was Wright that took his spot. Pretty big gamble to pay the guy a starter's salary when he's never started before.

Also Fred is an older guy.. turns 24 next year. So he's not like some young 20 year old rookie that was just drafted.

Bayless signed a 3 year / $27M contract last year with Philly. That's probably what FVV would get in my opinion.

Comment

• We'll have to unload CJ if we want to resign Fred

Comment

FVV is at best a solid backup. I don't know if other teams would shoe him in as a starter considering he's never started for the Raptors. Even when Kyle was out of the lineup it was Wright that took his spot. Pretty big gamble to pay the guy a starter's salary when he's never started before.

Also Fred is an older guy.. turns 24 next year. So he's not like some young 20 year old rookie that was just drafted.

Bayless signed a 3 year / $27M contract last year with Philly. That's probably what FVV would get in my opinion.
            Hard to guess. We can give him a QO, but what will the market for him be? He's still inherently limited by physical tools and plays in the market everyone ignores. No clue what kind of offers he gets.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              I would say Anunoby hitting the rookie wall has become a bit of a concern, though, if Powell can put things together in the last couple of months it's much less of an issue. I'm also a little bit worried about what happens when JV goes off the court. I like Poeltl but him and Siakam playing meaningful minutes against the Celtics and Cavs gives me some pause.
              I agree with the first, og has had a good run but wouldn't be heartbroken if a vince or someone did come in to relieve him a bit down he stretch.

Siakam and poeltl however I feel are good nba 2nd stringers already that can stack up to other benches. As well, when the playoff rotation tightens up, I expect jv minutes to up, ibaka minutes to go up, and small ball minutes to go up, leaving short spurts for those 2 guys

Comment

Fred needs to play a playoff before having any idea how to Guage his value. Biyombo got a godfather offer based largely on 2 games vs cleveland. Powell secured a long term future based largely on a handful of playoff games. That's where frd can cash out, as of now he's still an undrafted undersized guard with high IQ and a hot streak

Comment

• So LeBron posted this after Kevin broke his hand

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Where the hell is DanH..I want answers you people are all guessing, thinking and assuming lol
                    FVV is indeed eligible for RFA this summer. The Raptors need to extend him a QO. With their tax situation this summer, I don't think they'll extend QO's to Bebe and Bruno, as their QO's are quite high (3M+) and would hit the team's tax bill if they accepted the QO. Fred has a near-minimum QO, so I'm sure the team will extend it as there is essentially no risk.

So, FVV would be a RFA. But we don't have full Bird Rights. We have his Early Bird Rights, meaning we can offer him something close to the MLE (basically exactly the deal Norm signed). And he falls under the Gilbert Arenas rule, so other teams making him an offer bigger than that value have to backload the deal, with the backloading becoming extreme if the offers are too far above that Norm contract.

At the same time, as someone said up thread, cap space is pretty limited this year, and even if it weren't I'd cap the offers he'd get at the MLE (again, very close to the deal Norm got). So the question becomes whether the team can afford to match an offer he gets at about 9M per year, when they already project to be 10M+ into the tax. With Wright here and cheap for another year, it's a difficult question to answer. Ideally, yeah, the team just shells out the cash, pays the extra tax, but at some point that's a big ask for a 10th man.

Of course, any salary shedding moves like Norm or JV being gone would ease the financial picture a bit, but even then probably it would mean going from a non-tax or small tax team to a bonafide tax team to keep FVV.

That's all if he gets a big offer. The upside of his low QO is you can wait and see if the market is suppressed for him - for all his upside, he's still older than your typical sophomore, small at his position, and a free agent in a funny cap situation league wide. Maybe he just doesn't get the offers, and you can bring him back on a near-minimum deal you can afford for a couple years to bridge this competitive window and leave him a FA again once your cap opens up. Or, maybe he takes the QO, which might be a best case scenario for the Raps, as since he's only in his second year, he'd still be an RFA after playing next year on the QO, unlike a 1st round pick who gets to go to UFA after playing their QO year. At that point they'd have Wright and FVV both going into RFA, but who knows what the cap sheet would look like another year out.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      FVV is indeed eligible for RFA this summer. The Raptors need to extend him a QO. With their tax situation this summer, I don't think they'll extend QO's to Bebe and Bruno, as their QO's are quite high (3M+) and would hit the team's tax bill if they accepted the QO. Fred has a near-minimum QO, so I'm sure the team will extend it as there is essentially no risk.

So, FVV would be a RFA. But we don't have full Bird Rights. We have his Early Bird Rights, meaning we can offer him something close to the MLE (basically exactly the deal Norm signed). And he falls under the Gilbert Arenas rule, so other teams making him an offer bigger than that value have to backload the deal, with the backloading becoming extreme if the offers are too far above that Norm contract.

At the same time, as someone said up thread, cap space is pretty limited this year, and even if it weren't I'd cap the offers he'd get at the MLE (again, very close to the deal Norm got). So the question becomes whether the team can afford to match an offer he gets at about 9M per year, when they already project to be 10M+ into the tax. With Wright here and cheap for another year, it's a difficult question to answer. Ideally, yeah, the team just shells out the cash, pays the extra tax, but at some point that's a big ask for a 10th man.

Of course, any salary shedding moves like Norm or JV being gone would ease the financial picture a bit, but even then probably it would mean going from a non-tax or small tax team to a bonafide tax team to keep FVV.

That's all if he gets a big offer. The upside of his low QO is you can wait and see if the market is suppressed for him - for all his upside, he's still older than your typical sophomore, small at his position, and a free agent in a funny cap situation league wide. Maybe he just doesn't get the offers, and you can bring him back on a near-minimum deal you can afford for a couple years to bridge this competitive window and leave him a FA again once your cap opens up. Or, maybe he takes the QO, which might be a best case scenario for the Raps, as since he's only in his second year, he'd still be an RFA after playing next year on the QO, unlike a 1st round pick who gets to go to UFA after playing their QO year. At that point they'd have Wright and FVV both going into RFA, but who knows what the cap sheet would look like another year out.
                      The thing is, he's not really a 10th man anymore. Casey's using him more like a 6th man.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        So LeBron posted this after Kevin broke his hand

People think it's about IT because it will result in the biggest media reaction and clicks.

OR

This could be a general reference to the entire team who can't defend for their lives.

OR

He's calling out tyronn Lue. His coaching tactics are getting predictable, and he is too lazy to adjust, and create better schemes.

BUT

Way too vague to link it to anyone

Comment

• They might as well put the Cavs on E Television. Right after the Kardashians. This stuff is so reality TV

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            The thing is, he's not really a 10th man anymore. Casey's using him more like a 6th man.
                            Very unique role, like a baseball closer. He's like the last sub in off the bench but plays the 4th.

He's our Enter Sandman

Comment

• Thanks for that Dan. I think mlse just has to pony up and pay the tax an keep FVV.

In addition to FVV's basketball reasons it's also beneficial in my view to have lots of trade chips to be able to push 3-4 pieces in for an all in move if a star trade target comes up. Having lots of young guys on reasonable contracts is a good thing.

Obviously it's easy for me to say that...it's not my money.

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
                                People think it's about IT because it will result in the biggest media reaction and clicks.

OR

This could be a general reference to the entire team who can't defend for their lives.

OR

He's calling out tyronn Lue. His coaching tactics are getting predictable, and he is too lazy to adjust, and create better schemes.

BUT

Way too vague to link it to anyone
                                OR

His live in cousin darius left the milk and cereal on the counter overnight and the milk went bad even though lebron has asked him multiple times to put it back when he's done, lebron had belief darius was learning and he's dissapointed.

Comment

Working...
                                X